• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I used to buy DVDs from Sentai while I was still in school since saving a little money compared to blu-ray added up. However, once I started working full-time, I made the switch for the sake of quality, and bought a separate, cheaper, blu-ray player to save wear on my Playstation. That was also the time I decided to get a larger TV, and at that point the difference in video quality became pretty apparent.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Now, only if they could include the subtitles in the dubbed version in the recent anime releases.

It SUCKS that I can't read subtitles while watching dubbed with my family. Among them are No Game, No Life, The World God Only Knows Season 3/OVAs, GATE, among others.

It's STUPID to leave out the subtitles in the dubbed version.

YES, I'M DEAF. Very Happy
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Even shows that don't have hd masters can still be released on Blu-ray. I know a few companies have gone that route. I believe distotek did this with their recent Fist of The North Star release.

Sadly only Discotek seems to be interested in SD-BD releases. While what they've done so far aren't HUGE improvements over the DVD versions, a lot of early digital shows would really benefit from a native 480p presentation with the better compression and colors of the BD format. FLCL especially I've always thought could really use that treatment since there's no real perfect way to watch it right now, you're stuck with particularly bad DVD artifacts or an upscale that looks like it was smothered with vaseline.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't know how many people will buy $299 worth of discs to get a free bluray player when you could just get one for like $40-60.

I actually did! But their sale prices are lower on stuff than anywhere else right now, so I grabbed the LEs for School Live, Chihayafuru and Himouto! Umaru-chan, and a couple more shows I've been price watching. I've been doing blu-ray since I got my PS3, but the players have never gotten quite cheap enough for me to justify buying one apart from my PS3/4. I'm hoping it'll have enough apps that I can ditch my worthless Amazon Fire TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fireye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Sadly only Discotek seems to be interested in SD-BD releases.

I'm not familar with Discotek's releases, but the Bluray spec only supports SD video at 480@60i and 576@50i. It seems like an easy way to shove a bunch of existing DVD encoded video footage onto one bluray disc.

Even if older shows don't have sources available in HD, a well done upscale is beneficial due to advances in encoding technology and techniques, along with a _LOT_ more storage space for less compression. Additionally, dealing with interlacing on progressive displays (almost all TVs these days) is a real pain.

tl;dr, I'm not convinced SD-BD is a good thing, even if you aren't happy with upscales.
MJKS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
It couldn't have happened soon enough.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Bit troubled by this news, but as long as older shows and shows with no HD master are on DVD, that's good. But to be honest, I can't tell the difference in quality between DVD and Blu-ray. If the prices for Blu-ray go the way of DVD, that'll be good.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on this development......................I don't care Rolling Eyes . As long as I can buy the show I don't care. Beside Sentai was pretty much more focused on special editions and BD. I mainly bot a DVD and BD from them is because I'm a paranoid fudge who wants a back up of a show I like.

Not really a big deal, when Sentai only get 5-6 show I like a year. Honestly, I'll gladly pay for standard DVD/Blu-Ray combos.
Set1229

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Eh, maybe I'll start using my PS3 more often if the one in a million chance they dub their Shigofumi, Rinne and some of their other less popular subbed-only shows for blu-ray comes along.

Then again, I've only bought the blu-ray for one of their shows, just for the extra CD's of a certain ghost.DVD and blu-ray look almost exactly the same to me. Ah..., gotta love those good ol' CRT's.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
neozxtc wrote:

Not only that but by pirating you are basically saying F you to all the hard working animators and voice actors that put their time into the media your so free enjoy.

Sorry bud, but buying BD's doesn't actually support the animators. Maybe at best it supports the production committees behind the shows and for western releases mostly the licensor, that's the sad truth and reality.

Call me when there's a direct download service that lets me actually have a copy of the show on my hard disk, until then, good luck to the anime industry and its twisted ways and inefficiency. Even then, it most likely wouldn't support the hard working animators and staff behind the anime sadly, but this is simply how the industry is run, very very poorly, this is why they aren't getting my money, I only import Japanese manga since it's the closest thing I can do to support an actual creator that I like.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
And lastly, I really don't understand SailorPluto1313's statement "I have to say, I'm not a big fan of just owning blu-rays". I don't see what difference that makes in any real way. There's literally no downside to blu-rays. Every laptop released in the last few years comes with a blu-ray drive, or no drive. Quality is much better. Holds more data. Ect ect. No downsides at all.

Macs aren't really compatible with Blu-ray.

Blu-ray players are a lot slower. Do not store last played data if turned off.

It's a bummer personally for me, as we own a lot more DVD players. Sony also hasn't fulfilled their promise to make Blu-rays able to be backed up.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
The death of DVDs for anime in North America is finally coming it looks like. It's worth noting that Aniplex USA already completely abandoned DVDs a while ago. At this point with them, it's Blu-ray or no release at all for shows that would have originally gone sub-only DVD. NISA had some Blu-ray-only releases, and in Japan many anime have been released Blu-ray-only for years, though there is no clear pattern to it.

It's kinda amazing how DVD still remains popular even though sales for DVD in general have been in decline since 2004, before Blu-ray was even available. You can't even buy SDTVs in stores brand new anymore, the TVs that have the same resolution as DVDs. If you walk into a Best Buy and go "I'm looking for an SDTV, I don't care for HD." the Best Buy salesperson will be confused. The only TVs you can buy anymore are HDTVs, and even 1080P TVs are going to get phased out in favor of 4KTVs at some point from the looks of things. This isn't the mid-2000s anymore, Blu-ray players (and reminder, game consoles can also play them, the PS3, PS4, and Xbox One) and the TVs are not really expensive anymore. Those sticking with physical and are not moving to digital are increasingly moving towards Blu-ray, though one market still remains quite reliable for DVDs in general, kids movies. It'll take longer for Hollywood to abandon DVDs than the anime industry.
http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Frozen-(2013)#tab=video-sales
http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Despicable-Me-2#tab=video-sales
http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Moana#tab=video-sales

This situation will kinda suck though. There are instances of where the DVD looks better than the Blu-ray, this mainly applies to older anime that get Blu-ray uspcales. When done right, it'll look better than the DVD, when done wrong, it'll look worse or far worse than the DVD. Q-TEC upscales are the best example of this. Some examples of various anime upscales in general that look worse than the DVDs below.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/jp-asian-blu-ray-dvd-and-streaming-industry-news/27928-kaleido-star-blu-ray-box?p=408168#post408168
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/jp-asian-blu-ray-dvd-and-streaming-industry-news/1233-gankutsuou-bd-box?p=121031#post121031 (The 4th shot is the best example. Note how there is more detail in the hair on the DVD than the Blu-ray which scrubbed it away.)
Blue Seed ADV's DVDs look like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
neozxtc wrote:

Not only that but by pirating you are basically saying F you to all the hard working animators and voice actors that put their time into the media your so free enjoy.

Sorry bud, but buying BD's doesn't actually support the animators. Maybe at best it supports the production committees behind the shows and for western releases mostly the licensor, that's the sad truth and reality.

No, it's not. It's your fantasy alternate reality where piracy is the moral high-ground. Money going to the companies that hire and employ animators is the best way we have to support them(unless you are giving all of the money that you would've spent on anime to the Animator Dorm project). Buying BDs both through your local publishers or through Japanese distributors is incredibly helpful and definitely supports anime staff. International licenses account for an incredibly significant amount of revenue for anime. The western market matters a lot. And everyone's money is important. If you'd like to advocate for better wages for anime staff there are ways to do that that don't put poorly paid anime staff in an even worse position.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Finally!! There's is no good logical argument to stick with DVD. I know anime is still generally only released in 1080p (and aired in 720p, upscaled to 1080 on CR), but 4k has been a thing and is becoming more and more normal. 4K anime should be a thing in a few years and if we're still releasing DVDS that would be like releasing VHS in 2005. Stupid.

It really isn't though. Most shows aren't even animated in 1080p. The only show that I actually recall being done in true 1080p recently was the Nyarko-san anime by Xebec, iirc. Gundam Thunderbolt is the only thing I know that's gotten the 4K treatment but that's Sunrise + OVAs.

It's true that a majority of anime is not natively produced in 1080, but it's not that rare. Most Kyoto Animation work, if not all of it, is produced in 1080, almost all films are, and many prestige projects from pretty much every studio are now produced in 1080. There was pretty significant increase in the number of shows produced in 1080 just through 2016 and this year.

Quote:
That's kind of why I'm not sure this is a good thing on Sentai's part considering a large amount of their catalog hasn't even got proper HD transfers.

Their official statement, and even this article, mentions that they will NOT be ending DVDs for titles that have no HD materials. I feel like a lot of people missed that part of the article entirely..
As to your worry about bad HD transfers, those are not nearly as common as dissenters seem to think, but I would imagine if they are bad enough, they would be willing to do a DVD for those as well. Not that, as others have said, they couldn't just put SD content on a Blu-ray disc.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
As to your worry about bad HD transfers, those are not nearly as common as dissenters seem to think, but I would imagine if they are bad enough, they would be willing to do a DVD for those as well. Not that, as others have said, they couldn't just put SD content on a Blu-ray disc.
It's worth noting when they do DVDs for those, they're usually creating the DVDs from the Blu-rays. FUNimation's Shakugan no Shana DVDs (not the ones they distributed for Geneon, the ones in their own combo packs) look awful and worse than Geneon's because they used the Blu-ray masters (the JP upscale that many fansubbers wanted absolutely nothing to do with because it was that bad) to create the DVDs. Season 2 is in a worse position because the JP upscale for that was even worse than Season 1's, and there is no good English-friendly alternative to FUNimation's release. They created the DVDs from the Blu-rays. Oh what I'd give for an English-friendly Shakugan no Shana Second release that doesn't have lines smudged and smeared into oblivion with tons of very noticeable banding to boot.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shakugan-no-Shana-Season-1-Blu-ray/45383/#Screenshots
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shakugan-no-Shana-Season-2-Part-1-Blu-ray/48416/#Screenshots
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shakugan-no-Shana-Season-2-Part-2-Blu-ray/48415/#Screenshots
*Pukes*
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
Macs aren't really compatible with Blu-ray.

True, but Apple hasn't sold a Mac with even a DVD drive for a long time. The last was the 2012 non-Retina MacBook, which was retired last October. They haven't sold a desktop with an optical drive (iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro) for many years. Apple is totally committed to streaming and download-to-own. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the system DVD Player app gets dropped one of these years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7