• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Otaking' Tears Apart In Another World With My Smartphone's Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
While I find some of his complaints nitpicky and superficial, I will welcome any trashing of superficial, weak, inept, bland and samey isekai shows like this one.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
While I find some of his complaints nitpicky and superficial, I will welcome any trashing of superficial, weak, inept, bland and samey isekai shows like this one.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
That show has WAY more problems than just wonky animation...
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a good idea to dissect bad shows to see why they failed and learn from it but Smartphone is such low hanging fruit. In two weeks no one's going to even remember it existed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Smartphone is such low hanging fruit. In two weeks no one's going to even remember it existed.

I hope it gets a second season just to bask in buckets and buckets filled with schadenfreude Twisted Evil
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Well, he's not wrong, but I feel like the Smartphone crew could fight back if they just reminded everyone of the existence of Gainax's desperate cash-grab works (He Is My Master, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Wish Upon the Pleiades).

Pleiades is beautiful, that wouldn't get you anywhere.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Yeap, im sure he would have a unbiased opinion. It remembers me of many anime critics (anime fans amateur critics and even professionals critics) that hate shows even before episode 01 Twisted Evil

I will happily admit I'm occasionally proven wrong, but by now I can mostly correctly call if I'll hate a show by a brief synopsis of the setup and some key visuals.
CatSword wrote:
Well, he's not wrong, but I feel like the Smartphone crew could fight back if they just reminded everyone of the existence of Gainax's desperate cash-grab works (He Is My Master, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Wish Upon the Pleiades).

He Is My Master isn't bad, as fanservice comedy goes, but the others deserve to be a forgotten footnote in the history of anime.
EricJ2 wrote:
Imagine if an airplane technician said "How can you people accept the horrific lie that is Boeing's Airbus, just look at what they call streamline support-riveting!!" Um, yeah. You seem a bit worked up there, dood.

A train engineer complaining about certain design choices in some modern line of trains would be more analogous. Most people wouldn't care either way, but there's a passionate group of enthusiasts who would take notice, some disagreeing, others agreeing but thinking he's making too big a deal of it, and others still who wholeheartedly agree.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Imagine if an airplane technician said "How can you people accept the horrific lie that is Boeing's Airbus, just look at what they call streamline support-riveting!!" Um, yeah. You seem a bit worked up there, dood.

A train engineer complaining about certain design choices in some modern line of trains would be more analogous. Most people wouldn't care either way, but there's a passionate group of enthusiasts who would take notice, some disagreeing, others agreeing but thinking he's making too big a deal of it, and others still who wholeheartedly agree.

And to continue the analogy, most people would judge the train on their own passenger concerns of whether it was fast, comfortable, reliable and ran on time, while the designers and engineers desperately continued to find converts in "But can't you see the design flaws??"
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I've become rather apathetic to animation issues in modern anime - a bit of a terrible angle to take I'll admit but it's so prominent in most online streamed series that at this point pointing them out almost seems redundant. During the cel era many TV series had their issues, but it was to be expected. Nowadays most everything is done with computers, and the more glaring issues seem almost inexcusable. Most of the glaring issues are often resolved once the episodes move to physical BD releases & such and there is a valid argument that studios should still strive to create quality content for those simulcasts & streams to boost initial interest. I know people often drop series due to their animation quality, and it shows that there needs to be more of a focus on quality control.

My prevailing issue with Smartphone is it plays out like really bad anime fan fiction. I feel like I've been transported back to 1997 and I'm perusing fanfiction.net
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
All we need is another person yelling online about every slight problem with artwork, etc like the OCD people looking at every frame of a 24 minute show looking for "flaws", continuity problems and so on. If you have to go to those lengths, I think you don't have a valid criticism of the show. I wish people would stop trying to use esoteric arguments to justify their opinion and just admit they don't like the thing and agree that other people can enjoy it without having to prove they are stupid, etc., etc for doing so.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

My prevailing issue with Smartphone is it plays out like really bad anime fan fiction. I feel like I've been transported back to 1997 and I'm perusing fanfiction.net

Well it's based off what was originally a web novel which the author actually wrote on his cell phone before posting it to "Let's be a novelist" website in Japan which is basically the Japanese equivalent of fanfiction.net... What exactly did you expect?

I expected happy stupid fun time and it has delivered it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2