• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film Gets Live-Action Hollywood Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You should care because it means Hollywood wants control over anime, and everything JJ touches turns to shit.

How does doing a few adaptations of big hits or well known titles equal wanting control over anime? Simple, it doesn't. Plus last time I checked anime was made in Japan, not Hollywood. Not to mention the adaptations would not even exist if the anime did not exist already. So yea, that idea is simply not accurate in the slightest. As for JJ, I disagree but you can dislike him all you want.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
There, corrected it for you Very Happy

Ehhhh not sure if you really did considering Disney's shaky track record with Animated shows especially over say the last 15 years and prior to the period when you had Ducktales, Chip & Dale, Gargoyles, and Darkwing Duck coming out a somewhat good clip.
michaelntj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I am just really hoping that this live-action Hollywood adaptation of the phenomenal anime your name. is not as bad as the Hollywood adaptation of Death Note. I'm actually both screaming (angry) and sad deep inside my heart. You know that feel, when you watched this movie for the first time in a local theater and it makes you almost cry because you're being touched deeply. Crying or Very sad

Please, don't ruin this movie. Anime cry Mad Sad

Note: I'm saying this as a die-hard fan of Your Name. Please ignore this message if you don't like this movie. Thank you.
michaelntj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Well that certainly didn't take long. Neutral

I mean, DAMN! I haven't even SEEN your name., and they're already talking about a live-action adaption?

Yeah, I highly suggest watching the original anime version of your name. before it gets the actual imperfect Hollywood adaptation. This movie is really a masterpiece, it even ranked #1 in most anime list sites.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
To: Japanese creators

Please stop sending your anime to be disasterized or in this case utterly destroyed inside and out by Hollywood (this can't be adapted properly at all), your fans hate it when this happens. Nobody wants it.

That could be explained by the fact that the Japanese have a weird admiration towards Americans and their culture, despite their differences in the past.

That's the reason why there's very few remakes from let's say European, Latin American or bollywood films because, in first place, the people who hold the rights of the films of those countries normally distrust Hollywood in the better case, or in the worst case, they hate Americans, pure and simple.

The reason why the Japanese admires America is a mystery for everyone else in the world.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Best case scenario might be to film it in Japan with native Japanese actors and actresses but have an American movie studio produce and distribute it.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
...or else I'm reading too much into this.
Quote:

Regarding the new film, Shinkai said, "your name. is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium. When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation."

That said, it's early days yet. This just sounds like an initial production deal with a lot of contingencies ("final" script, getting a director, casting) that could break the deal before it enters production or turn it into another tone-deaf Hollywood disaster. On the other hand, Ghost in the Shell caused such a backlash in the target audience even Hollywood should pay attention.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:
...or else I'm reading too much into this.
Quote:

Regarding the new film, Shinkai said, "your name. is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium. When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation."

Nope, think you're reading the same backhanded love/snubbery that US studios have for a foreign breakout hit that most of us have:
The trendy West coast film fan says 'Isn't it amazing this other country produced a movie this entertaining?--We have to ride the success and make more people aware!", while the cynical Hollywood executive side says "Yeah, they did the best with what they think movies are, but y'know it'd have been more popcorn-entertaining if WE had made it!"

I can't recall an example where that was actually proven to be true in the last thirty years. Confused
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
After watching Your Name as the first anime movie I have ever watched in movie theaters in both the dub and sub as an incredible cinematic experience because of how beautiful the visuals and the music are, trying to replicate it in live action would just not feel the same in a bad way.

Also, the film is pretty steeped into Japanese culture that this would be like the live action Naruto situation at Lionsgate where you really feel that taking the Japanese culture out would just make the adaptation not be what made the original so appealing in the first place as trying to set it in a different setting may not work as what they would think.

Anyways, with J.J. Abrams on board as producer and how every movie that he's attached to as producer always have more positives than negatives, there could be some hope that this may be a decent film and regardless of what hardcore Star Trek and Star Wars fans claim he is, J.J. Abrams is definitely no Michael Bay.

Lastly, I know that this is a stretch but after the disastrous PR surrounding Ghost in the Shell 2017, if Paramount really thinks that whitewashing played a big part in the film not being as successful as they would have hoped and now knowing how huge the backlash has become in regards to whitewashing, then lets see if they have learned their lesson here too and not whitewash the main leads because lets face it, if they really want to stand out among the crowd of Hollywood films these days, having non-white Asian main leads in a major Hollywood tentpole is really rare and it would be very nice to let the underrepresented Asian community in America have some of their own breakout stars for a change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7