• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakumei and Mikochi (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote

Hakumei and Mikochi (TV)

Genres: fantasy, slice of life
Themes:

Plot Summary: While Hakumei is cheerful, outgoing and prefers to be outside, Mikochi is more introverted and prefers to stay indoors. These differences will set the tone for their friendship. Riding on insects and birds, creating tools from the forest and living their normal lives, day to day chores can be the biggest adventure in a small world full of wonders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
This was a lovely surprise. I've never read the manga, but the premise is fresh for an anime (at least to me) that I had to check it out. I loved the fairy tale feel of it even down to the art. The music also added to the magic.

As for the episode itself, I figured spoiler[the evening kite would turn out to be Kafu]. I loved the shanty town and hope that we get to see more of it in the future.

Last edited by phia_one on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was a really adorable episode. I really like how Hakumei is protrayed so far with the character's personality. The animation style also feels very fluid and I'm impressed by how they adapted the setting so far. Not bad for the comedy too as it's not overly exaggerated but just enough for the humor.

Overall, I liked this episode. It feels like the show has a good direction so far with what it has to work with.

I think this show has about 12 episodes long, which feels like the right amount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I wanted very much to love this but like with Gakuen Baby Sitters, I'm coming away with the feeling of "....it's cute but.....meh". Again, there's not a lot to get me invested in it. It just kinda reminds me how I'd rather be watching The Littl' Bits or David the Gnome again. Which were adventure-driven shows with tiny people in a big scary world. It was very exciting. This is probably a little too 'slice-of-life-y' for me.

(boo hoo I miss my 80s childhood so much xD)

The character design also bugs me but I've never been a fan of the squishy 'mushroom face' look.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this show and I'm quite happy that it did not disappoint! I feel that the lead characters' personalities complement each other perfectly. I also really love the settings of this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty adorbs. Will continue to watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Who would think that this show would do such a theme of the trouble of feeling worth through your work as an adult? That Hakumei although being upbeat and having some skills, she actually seems to have a line of insecurity underneath, about her mistakes and I would say a feeling of lack of progress in her life. I find it oddly relatable, the feeling of needing to validate yourself through your success at your job as an adult, and maybe something I especially find so due to the place I am finding myself recently in life.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
I dig the girls new pad. I just really love this show. It looks so beautiful and it's incredibly inventive (animated animal skeletons through science - come on!). And as DP notes, it is examining things you wouldn't necessarily expect in a show like this. Just a real delight in what is one of the strongest overall seasons for me in a long time. I'm watching 32 shows! And none of them seem droppable...
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

That owl definitely did a number on our main characters, but at the end looked to be not quite the frightening creature they thought him to be, as he brought them some veggies (after taking their meat, but eh). I really like seeing how the anime shows us just how much Hakumei and Mikochi value each other and their chemistry together continues to be one of the show’s highlights for me. So far, this is one of many shows this season that I’m watching and quite enjoying, so I hope that the staff can keep up the solid work.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

This show has really snuck for of being of notice, in the face of its slice of life aspect. Despite its very cute art and its slice of life shows, it feels like it has a much more mature take. The first half of this episode had what might seem like standard stuff, with showing off the cooking abilities and such of one character, while pointing out the other girl has problems with it, but it felt like more than that. The previous episode showed Hakumei's work life, and some of the weight of that, and it felt like just as much the same with Mikochi this time, who is having an easier time with it than Hakumei is, and you could kind of feel a bit Mikochi feeling sorry for that. It was also funny that Konju accidentally gave Mikochi her own products as a present, that she went from rivalry to realizing she is a fan of Mikochi's work, and we did not get away without seeing that Konju herself does have something to offer.

The second half of the episode, it was actually pretty frightening, which one would not expect to say about a slice of life show. The owl looked so intimidating, which along with Hakumei being so scared, and a consequence action of Mikochi being hurt. It drew me in more than another slice of life that might attempt the same. And that we learned a bit of Hakumei's sad past, that at one point she was robbed and lost pretty much all her possessions, the show is relaxing, but there is also a bight there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yes, this show continues to be a very interesting combination: SoL but with adventure and darker bits. I love their house... I want to live in one like that! And unlike Konju, I don't find the bones at the front unacceptable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Looks like Hakumei got mistaken as a man, although, Mikochi is practically her wife. It was another episode in this series that has focused on things to do with one's career. Hakumei wanted to be involved on a project, but it seemed the boss was especially concerned that recklessness could cause trouble on a worksite, so he turned down Hakumei's ambitiousness. It took Hakumei finding a place that she can show that she can do careful work, and that she was well aware of responsibility with a healthy amount of fear. The boss himself got shaken in realizing that he did not notice something and might have put Hakumei specifically in danger, she being the one to realize it.

For my own experience, the episode was kind of reminding me of adults can experience, where to get a job they need experience, but they can't get that experience without a job. You end up in a limbo, where it can be difficult to find a way in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Yep, another really enjoyable eppie. I have to admit that when the show first started, I assumed it was just going to be a very simple, fantasy SoL of two cute pint-sized gals wandering through the forest having simple, cute experiences. And frankly, I would have been okay with that. Nice to see it's gone in a more unexpected and interesting direction.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 was another pleasant one. It was cool seeing Hakumei getting her boss, Iwashi, to hang out on their day off. From my own experience, that type of thing hardly ever happens around me mainly due to me wanting to spend my days off holed up inside my home watching the animes. Each passing episode gets me more attached to the anime’s characters and quite the treat to watch on Friday’s.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Each episode indeed turns out something quite good. That I think it may be fair to call it the hidden gem of the season, really did not make a big splash early on, and does not feel like it has tried to use its setting as a crutch. I would not think we would have had an episode that featured alcohol as a larger part, the girls going drinking with Iwashi, and the part at the end, but I would not say it was overdoing it either, there really was not a silly gag about being stupid by being drunk, but there was acknowledgment of things like Mikochi saying she had gotten too drunk, and it being the reason the beautician was not cutting hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3