• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
I can understand why people would dislike Erina so far, but saying she becomes one of the most likable character in the show, would be an understatement.

I think that's a fair way to look at it. For about 135 chapters (pretty much where we're up to in the anime), Erina was maybe my tenth favorite female character in the series. At minimum, she definitely ranked behind Megumi, Hisako, Ryoko, Alice, Chef Inui, Yoshino, and Nao on my list, and possibly even behind Mayumi and Fumio (I did like her better than Nikumi, though). She was exactly the type of person that I can't stand IRL, and all I could see in looking at her was someone who needed a big serving of humble pie, with warmed over crow on the side. With the direction the story's gone since then, though, I have to admit I've warmed up to her quite a bit; she's still never going to be a personal favorite of mine, but to say she's actually likeable now? That, to my own surprise, I have to agree with.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6

That moment when you return to your room and find a super jacked grandpa flexing his muscles and posing while half naked.
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I had my reservations about what directions the series might take with Azami's introduction. If not handled correctly, the source material could be adapted in a way that turns the show into an oppressively despair-ridden dystopia, completely changing the tone and themes of the series.

After seeing episode 6, I am elated to see that the writers and director look like they're going to be able to keep the tone of the show that we know and love while also accurately depicting some dark source material. They showcased Erina's abuse by her father in accurate ways and without downplaying or minimizing it, while also managing to keep the show feeling like Food Wars instead of Berserk. It remains to be seen whether they can keep this difficult balancing act up, but I'm much more hopeful about them being able to do so than I was after last week's episode.
kere_sly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed Food Wars from the start (anime only). But I did not expect it to become the cooking-based version of Hogwarts. It is disappointing from a plot perspective, but I do expect the characters I have come to love to make it all worthwhile.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
kere_sly wrote:
cooking-based version of Hogwarts.

You lost me so hard my name became Takumi and i started drifting on my chair...
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Due to The contest being rigged from the start makes it pointless. Most of the students at this point would unenroll from the school. It’s not even close to what it was. Its a factory now with zero innovation and bland. Might as well get a top ten cook book and be done with the school all together. How could anyone ever move upon such a situation just by copying.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's trying to remake the student body into something like that army of mapo tofu making CG drones under Kuga.
I think it is a little different becasue Kuga was not a part of the group that voted Azami in, so the members that voted Azami in must have known he would not go along with it if he knew or he would have been a vote for Azami too. Plus, Kuga is actually affected by Azami by getting his club taken away by this new rule and the people in Kuga's club joined of there own free will in coming to the club and choose to hone there craft, instead of Azami's my way or the highway approach. Also the people in Kuga's club seem to actually enjoy what they are doing in the club, compared to some of the students being openly not for Azami's way of doing thing.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
While the bribery was deplorable, on the part of Eizan and the judges, what really peeved me was the judges mocking Soma for deigning to challenge Eizan after they were bought and paid for. Just the way they shamelessly seemed to think they had every right to compromise their integrity like that. Though the way that Eizan sent his thugs to forcibly evict the Polar Star dormitory while he faces Soma was pretty scummy too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
He's trying to remake the student body into something like that army of mapo tofu making CG drones under Kuga.
I think it is a little different becasue Kuga was not a part of the group that voted Azami in...

I think that was referring to the way Kuga's army was trained to reproduce his exact recipe without deviation to mass produce a uniform product that could have been made by Kuga himself. That's what Azami is striving for - making an army of Azami clones to cook for the elite. That way Azami would essentially be monopolizing cooking for the elite gourmets of the world himself, even if he can't actually be everywhere at once that doing so would necessitate.

I kept thinking that Erina should've challenged Eizan to a shoukugeki, since she's living at Polar Star now. I think Eizan would be in a bit of hot water with Azami if he got her expelled, especially through openly cheating. While that would've outed her whereabouts, as was pointed out, Azami probably already knows where she is.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Quote:
I think it is a little different becasue Kuga was not a part of the group that voted Azami in...

I think that was referring to the way Kuga's army was trained to reproduce his exact recipe without deviation to mass produce a uniform product that could have been made by Kuga himself. That's what Azami is striving for - making an army of Azami clones to cook for the elite. That way Azami would essentially be monopolizing cooking for the elite gourmets of the world himself, even if he can't actually be everywhere at once that doing so would necessitate.
Okay thanks I see what you are saying. I think the intentions differ though with Kuga wanting to mass produce something for a festival where you can't have a huge range of products and have to get the food out fast and Azami wanting to control the entire world of cooking. Just the way I read the comment felt like the two people where being compared like they where the same person which I really don't think is what Rebecca was going for in the comment and just wanted to point out what I thought some the difference between the two where if another person read it the same way as me. But once again thanks for making that clear I completely get what you mean.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
I guess I still don't get why the majority of the Elite 10 were on board with what he's doing. All of them seem quite proud of their various unique recipes and techniques, like with the first seat dude being so obsessed with his dishes being done in exactly his own way he won't let anyone else touch anything, that it's hard to imagine them giving all that up to simply copy Azami's style and recipes like machines. Other than Eizan, who's just a toady anyway, what do they think they stand to gain?
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 am Reply with quote
I kept waiting for unruly students to get shot or at least to be carried to the secret torture chambers... Rolling Eyes

Well, i will probably still get some kind of entertainment out of all that over-the-top drama, but gosh, i miss the days when this was just a simple show about cooking battles.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
one thing's for sure: it's going to be a long week until we get to find out what happens next.

so, of course, this is the week I decided to catch up on the season...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess I still don't get why the majority of the Elite 10 were on board with what he's doing. All of them seem quite proud of their various unique recipes and techniques, like with the first seat dude being so obsessed with his dishes being done in exactly his own way he won't let anyone else touch anything, that it's hard to imagine them giving all that up to simply copy Azami's style and recipes like machines. Other than Eizan, who's just a toady anyway, what do they think they stand to gain?

They get to contribute to Central’s menu too, so their freedom isn’t abridged, or at least not as much.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I kept thinking that Erina should've challenged Eizan to a shoukugeki, since she's living at Polar Star now. I think Eizan would be in a bit of hot water with Azami if he got her expelled

Azami wouldn't care if Erina lost for one (if not both) of two reasons. #1. She wouldn't ACTUALLY get expelled, he'd keep her exactly where he wants her. #2. It wouldn't matter because the "classes" are mostly farce (in his version) and it wouldn't matter if she ACTUALLY goes to them.
Quote:

Re: The Elite 10. Azami prizes their "skill" and the BEST members are the ones who are making the "best" food that all others should be trying to emulate. As such, they get to keep doing what they're doing because they are the masters of their craft. The ones who are going along with Azami are doing so BECAUSE he acknowledges their talents and has plans that assume they continue to shine.

To that end, I wonder about Azami's ACTUAL motivations. spoiler[We know that Azami used to be a friend/follower of Saiba, but he was wrecked when Saiba left. We ALSO know that Saiba left because of the immense pressure put upon him for needing to always prove/be the best. Azami's a bastard and his treatment of Erina is deplorable,
but I wonder if his "actual" goal is to make Totsuki into a place where chefs like Saiba can create free of the "pressure" of competition in order to be masters of their craft without breaking like Saiba did. Ie. he's doing it all for his "beloved" senpai, in his own twisted way.]
Totsuki was designed the way it was so that the cream rises to the top, but Azami seems to want to fish it out instead.

On a related note It is sometimes implied that part of why Yukihira is so "strong"
is because of how often he LOST to his father. If done right, that could actually be really interesting if Food Wars worked with that subversion of the Shounen trope more. The big problem with this style of series is that the stakes are always such that you CAN'T have the protagonist "lose" because if he does so many bad things happen. But it's interesting to see him lose a few times and still want to fight and grow from the experience, like he did with the Autumn Elections.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10