• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broccoli Reports 70% Drop in Profits in 1st Half of Fiscal Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Sure, merchandise is probably the biggest money-maker for many anime studios. However, earning some profit from the DVD/BD sales of some anime (in the case of Broccoli here, working on more anime) can also help.
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
UtaPri has fallen to EnStars and I7. It spawned a genre, and now fans are realizing it's not that great.

As someone who is part of the UtaPri fandom and who keeps up to date with it every day, I’m going to have to disagree with you. Ever since the release of the new mobile game in September, it’s popularity has risen back up. The new game out ranks both Ensemble Stars and Idolish7 (which wouldn’t even exist if not for UtaPri) in Top Free Games and Top Grossing. The term Shining Live was trending on Twitter that day with over 20k Tweets.

If the UtaPri visuals novels weren’t released on handheld Sony consoles only, surely they’d see a rise in profit as the PSP and Vita didn’t sell nearly as well as it’s Nintendo competitor.

Also last year when season four aired, the DVDs all came out in first place on Oricon when they were released.

The concert DVDs sell even more. The Quartet Night DVD just released but I’ll bet anything it’ll top.

Basically, UtaPri is far from dead. It’s been around for seven years and if Broccoli survives, it’ll probably be around for another seven more.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
#861208 wrote:
UtaPri has fallen to EnStars and I7. It spawned a genre, and now fans are realizing it's not that great.

As someone who is part of the UtaPri fandom and who keeps up to date with it every day, I’m going to have to disagree with you. Ever since the release of the new mobile game in September, it’s popularity has risen back up. The new game out ranks both Ensemble Stars and Idolish7 (which wouldn’t even exist if not for UtaPri) in Top Free Games and Top Grossing. The term Shining Live was trending on Twitter that day with over 20k Tweets.

If the UtaPri visuals novels weren’t released on handheld Sony consoles only, surely they’d see a rise in profit as the PSP and Vita didn’t sell nearly as well as it’s Nintendo competitor.

Also last year when season four aired, the DVDs all came out in first place on Oricon when they were released.

The concert DVDs sell even more. The Quartet Night DVD just released but I’ll bet anything it’ll top.

Basically, UtaPri is far from dead. It’s been around for seven years and if Broccoli survives, it’ll probably be around for another seven more.

I completely agree. Considering everything that's happened in the Utapri sphere, I think its popularity is far from getting behind EnStars and i7. Plus, for the longest time it never had an app (which is what EnStars and i7 started on.) Now that Shining Live is out, it's competing with them. Time will tell if it will compete long-term, but from what I can gather, the princesses are going all out. Also, with Shining Live getting an international English adaptation, it will soon get more international eyes than EnStars and i7. i7 does have a chance with the anime in winter, so I'll give it that.

To add onto this, this news article might be proof that Broccoli is only alive because of Utapri.

(Also, I believe live stages are run by Movic (aka Animate) so Broccoli only gets a small portion of the sales from that.) Regardless, the stage shows are always hell to get tickets for...I tried for QN live and failed (that was dumb) but for 6th stage I was able to get a ticket, and it was completely crazy and fun and renewed my love for the series.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some good criticism of them, and I can agree on it and why their profit has started dropping. I want to see them do well, but I also can't care about them for how they snub international fans and how they went after the doujin market, even as they bait fujoshi.

It will be interesting to see how the mobile game does from here on, but other mobile games of male idols have been around for a moment now, and even non-idol series are starting to get idol skins of characters. The competition is only going to get more fierce, and those other shows have a lot of cross-media appeal.

Also, I think i7 and EnStars are being underestimated. Both franchises parent company are doing a lot to keep them relevant, and they're good series. It makes sense that UtaPri would start to follow behind given the fluctuating quality of the games and how they treat fanbases.

i7 even hit the Oricon, and is the first male idol (fictional) to do so. (If I remember correctly?) In regards to i7, Bamco also has the profits and experience to boost i7 given they already reach a pretty wide audience when it comes to idol stuff. It's a niche they're used to being in the top of. There's nothing wrong with UtaPri sliding in popularity in comparison given how much backing i7 has.

Right now, I'm more curious if Broccoli is going to try something new, or just keep trying to milk UtaPri.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'd like to say its a bummer and I feel bad for them....but they shafted me on too many unfinished manga that they stopped publishing back in the day. So, good!
Wahappen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
Obviously Utapri is the only franchise that's milking them but people have already lost interest over the years, ntm with the rise of ensemble, I7 etc more idol games that are targeting women are growing Brocolli's fluctuation's to be expected.

PSVitas not going to save them ... Maybe that's the reason why Utapri got the Love Live mobile game treatment this yr. Otomate should learn from this.

btw this was the company that pissed off doujinshi fans with their anti-doujinshi propaganda. Feels bad man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2