• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Olderthandirt2 wrote:

The legend of the Wandering Jew was part of Christendom's history of abuse of Jews. As the Wikipedia article on the Wandering Jew, shows the legend is told and retold in many forms. But at its heart it was an expression of Jews as an anomaly, as eternal outsiders who persist over time. But the Wandering Jew was never evil or a source of violence. He was to be pitied and was a warning of the perils of rejecting Christianity but he was not a threat. But here he is demonic, centuries-old, force who takes joy in pain and actively hates individuals just because they are not as miserable as himself.

It's a direct reference, too. 'Cartaphilus' is an often-cited name for the wandering Jew specifically, so he's not just "any random undying dude".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Olderthandirt2 wrote:
The legend of the Wandering Jew was part of Christendom's history of abuse of Jews. As the Wikipedia article on the Wandering Jew, shows the legend is told and retold in many forms. But at its heart it was an expression of Jews as an anomaly, as eternal outsiders who persist over time. But the Wandering Jew was never evil or a source of violence. He was to be pitied and was a warning of the perils of rejecting Christianity but he was not a threat. But here he is demonic, centuries-old, force who takes joy in pain and actively hates individuals just because they are not as miserable as himself.

If this was done by any group in the US, Europe, or the Mideast it would be taken as an antisemitic act. I know that Japan loves to mix and match western religions in a playful fashion, but shouldn't they have been a bit more sensitive on this point? As some have suggested we may be headed for a Joseph redemption event in the plot, if so it would be most welcome.

Given the way the Cartiphilus/Joseph character has been handled in TAMB, I feel no anti-Semitic sentiment, myself. The show has a track record of basing its magical creatures/beings on actual myths and folklore and the use of the Wandering Jew myth (which is never referred to by that name) is of a piece with that. If you are looking for a doomed figure eternally cursed to never die then using Cartiphilus makes a ton of sense.

My take on TAMB's Cartiphilus character is that he has been driven insane by the curse of immortality and that is the source of his malevolence... nothing to do with being Jewish.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Olderthandirt2 wrote:
While Japan is not part of the Christian/European culture, the series rubs me the wrong way by selecting a figure of European anti-semitism as a major antagonist for the series. The fairies and witches both have their own motives and agendas which may or may not agree with humans and mages and the Ashen Eye is dangerous and morally ambivalent. But Joseph is a psychopath (willing to do violence to cary out his whims, inability to empathize with those he hurts, self centered, and believing he is above all ethical norms).

Probably my biggest pet peeve with Episode 22 is that it eliminated a single plot twist from the material it's adapting that would have almost completely re-contextualized this issue. I guess you could argue that it makes sense to push this particular revelation to Episode 23, but it still leaves the audience with a whole extra week of misunderstanding.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
What is it with Japan and swapping eyeballs? Shocked The Uchiha passed eyes around like gumballs, and now this. I don't think I've ever seen this trope in Western media. At least Spike's artificial eye was implanted by an actual surgical procedure, not just popping it out of one person and popping it into another one. Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What is it with Japan and swapping eyeballs? Shocked The Uchiha passed eyes around like gumballs, and now this. I don't think I've ever seen this trope in Western media. At least Spike's artificial eye was implanted by an actual surgical procedure, not just popping it out of one person and popping it into another one. Rolling Eyes

To be fair, there was almost certainly magic involved here, though making it a little more clear that there was could have helped a bit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
I know, but that wasn't my point. It's not a question of practicality (i.e., does your setting have magic or jutsu or high tech), but rather why it's a recurring thing. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Anne, that was a great review! I really liked the focus on the soundtrack and the use of the show's motifs, like Chise's crystal flowers. This was a very difficult episode to watch, and I really appreciate the gravity with which Chise's most traumatic memory was treated. I would argue that Chise has not been suffering from self-deception at all--her mother *did* try to kill her. She just needed to appreciate the context in which it happened to see that it wasn't her own fault, and that that one awful moment doesn't negate everything happy in her childhood, including her mother's actions in better times. The moment Chise's mother heard the fairy voices telling her to kill Chise and tried to resist them was the most chilling moment in the episode for me, it's reality hitting me harder than the strangely bloodless eye exchange. Chise may never be able to forgive her mother for giving in to the voices, but she can stop punishing herself for it and appreciate the good parts of her life, past and present.

I'm very curious about Cartaphilius' background. I'd also like to quell my own misgivings about the use of "The Wandering Jew" as the villain in this story (for the record, Elias used that phrase in the show and the manga when Cartaphilius first showed himself).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Olderthandirt2 wrote:
While Japan is not part of the Christian/European culture, the series rubs me the wrong way by selecting a figure of European anti-semitism as a major antagonist for the series. The fairies and witches both have their own motives and agendas which may or may not agree with humans and mages and the Ashen Eye is dangerous and morally ambivalent. But Joseph is a psychopath (willing to do violence to cary out his whims, inability to empathize with those he hurts, self centered, and believing he is above all ethical norms).

If this was done by any group in the US, Europe, or the Mideast it would be taken as an antisemitic act. I know that Japan loves to mix and match western religions in a playful fashion, but shouldn't they have been a bit more sensitive on this point? As some have suggested we may be headed for a Joseph redemption event in the plot, if so it would be most welcome.

It depends on the depiction. One of the profane depictions of Christianity I have seen was with "Seikon no Qwaser".
whitesox123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
People trying to make this seem like the show is preaching anti-semitic values. Its a fantasy ffs, chill out.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
whitesox123 wrote:
Its a fantasy ffs, chill out.

Whether or not this show is anti-semitic (it's not, and assuming it more or less follows the remaining bits of the manga, that should become clear in about an episode) it's reactions like this that have allowed fantasy authors to get away with crap for years. Roahl Dahl publicly claimed in the 80s that Hitler had a "good reason" for killing the Jews. HP Lovecraft wrote half a dozen stories that even his contemporaries in the 30s thought were pretty racist. But no one cares, because they were good authors and "it's just fantasy". Whatever.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
I had hoped that Chise would be seperated from Elias (and Ruth) for a bit longer since i rather enjoyed the show focussing on her alone for once, but since we're close to the end, i guess there's no time for that...and unlike Anne, this episode really made me feel for Joseph/Cartaphilius without disregarding his deeds which is largely thanks to his seiyyu who's doing an amazing job.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It is from Greek mythology. Graeae
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a little unfortunate that Joseph's back story was fairly similar to Onigumo in Inuyasha. It pulled me right out of the episode like a once you see it you can't unsee it thing Sad

Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
^
His backstory reminded me of Onigumo in Inuyasha, too! Thinking about it now, it's as if Onigumo from Inuyasha was nursed by Dante from the first Full Metal Alchemist anime series instead of Kikyo and then they combined.
I agree with the reviewer, it's hard to sympathize with him when he is so lacking in empathy himself. The series makes it clear, however, that he won't be "defeated" until someone is able to empathize with him, and that's to the series' credit. It makes sense that Chise, who understands what it's like to be rejected, would be the one to do it.
Also to the series credit: Elias rejecting Titania's offer and standing up to try to fix his relationship like a human, not entrap Chise like a fae.

Did Titania's breast reduction bother anyone else? Or does she look like that because she re-birthed herself?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I believe she referred to them as her “branches” so they are more smaller extensions of her rather than herself, both in that regard and overall as far as I could tell. Honestly I kind of preferred it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 41