• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^Did Titania's breast reduction bother anyone else?

That did not bother me, but I found it weird. Also, not that I am complaining, but most adult women in this show have big bosoms.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This was a very interesting series.. and one that I enjoyed watching from the start to finish. I do think that the 2nd season was a little off its pacing at first but the ending was rewarding and an actual ending.. not a cliff hanger!

I'd recommend this series as a good entry point into anime actually.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Titania's breast reduction was the least of my issues with this show. I mean she's a faery queen, she probably morphs her body just as easily as changing her wardrobe for the day.

I don't think this is a good entry point into anime for the average audience. Maybe for those looking for a fantasy romance with lots of magic but it has issues.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Every series has issues and while this one had its’ share, it was still definitely a very enjoyable experience. I would recommend this to those intrigued in watching how this show does its thing, but it’s definitely not for everyone. Very interesting overall and I’m now sad that it’s over. Sad Chise was such a fascinating lead to follow and I sincerely hope that more of this series can eventually get made.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since someone with her backstory shouldn't be forced to kill someone else wishing to be freed from his own life's suffering, Chise saves Joseph by showing him the empathy she learned to appreciate over the past 23 episodes.

I don't think that would have been inconsistent. She "killed" cat killer and his wife by freeing them from a curse, so something similar could've been applied to Joseph. Since Joseph has been alive and suffering for millennia, it's not as if he's trying to end it early like Chise was considering, although I guess you could argue he never got to truly live despite how long he's been on earth.

(It might've been a bit of a stretch after nothing killed him for so long, but I also feel that way about him... being stuck in a well for decades? That seems like a different kind of torture... If the intention was no one suffering should die simply because they wish it, that message kind of lacks any room for nuance to me... I suspect they may just want an excuse to bring him back for a sequel, though, lol.)

Anyway, this was far from my favorite anime. There are parts I liked, particularly with the mythology and side characters (can we get a spin off that's just Lindel, his dragons, and reindeer? Alice, the Will-o-Wisp that now lives in her hood, and the talking cats can show up for random cameos too!), but I feel like it has so much wasted potential. I mean, what was with that event that caused fairy kind to turn against Elias that they implied a lot of them died in? We never hear of it again! Chise improved towards the end, and they added some codependency traits which are present in a degree of people in her situation, but she still feels a bit... not as developed as I would've liked if they wanted to make her past suffering a focus. (Although, the kind of codependency that develops after trauma doesn't usually lead to healthy relationships... It can, but that probably doesn't apply here...) For Elias, I was closer to rooting for "Chise learns how to make bone broth soup and becomes the most powerful wicked sleigh witch of the English countryside" than the ending we got, but fully expected this. There's countless unanswered questions in regards to Elias as well, he remained lacking in personality and beliefs until the end, and any development he got was really rushed at the end. I'll probably never be able to get past how it was all wrapped in some kind of healing message, when it involved... so many of the actions Elias takes, but it's probably safe to say my hatred for that stems from personal reasons, so eh, at least no one will see messages like this from me again now that it's over!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
A great finale to a great show. There were several moments in its third fourth where I started to lose faith with the show when things started becoming redundant and kind of aimless. But the very strong last arc was able to elevate the series and bring together its best assets. The Ancient Magus' Bride easily earns an overall A- grade from me, and it is one of the top 3 anime series from 2017.

Finally, I don't know how much Crunchyroll is involved in the production of this show, but they sure picked a winner to license and promote. I am cautiously optimistic that another anime cour or at the very least more OVA's will be made because it deserves it and seems like a successful enough property in the West and in Japan. For now, gives us a great LE BD/DVD release CR-Funi.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
In the end I'm kind of disappointed by this adaptation, which I was really looking forward to when it was announced. I'm not bothered by the chibi sequences, I read the manga and I'm used to them. But I was bothered by the lackluster presentation and direction.

While this show was beautiful at times, I don't think it really lived up to it promise. Far too often scenes were presented in the most pedestrian/lackluster way possible. Compared to the other WIT produced show currently airing, After the Rain, Ancient Magus' Bride should have had the clear advantage in terms of fantastic imagery to draw from. Yet After the Rain, with subject matter as mundane as possible, is a consistently better looking and better directed show.

I think that with good direction I would have enjoyed Ancient Magus' Bride a lot more. But as it stands I'd give it a B-, almost leaning towards a C+.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
^Did Titania's breast reduction bother anyone else?

That did not bother me, but I found it weird. Also, not that I am complaining, but most adult women in this show have big bosoms.

It's because it was not her real body.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I for one am glad they ended with Chise offering herself freely as a bride rather than putting it off for another season (or forever?). While the pace of the story made it seem a little too soon/out of place, after her "I have something to tell him" comments they put it off long enough. It would have seemed a really cheap stunt to put it off for the OVA/movie just to guarantee viewership.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely among the viewers who would have prefered Chise and Elias actually talking to each other instead of the tacky "wedding" (and why would Angelica and Stella of all people support this all of a sudden?). There has always been so much emphasis on the importance of them (not) talking to each other that watching them finally having a honest - and serious - discussion would have been really satisfying to me...

Overall i enjoyed this show mostly because i'm a sucker for mythology, some of the side characters and watching Chise grow while the romance left me fairly indifferent.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Chise dealt with Joseph once and for all, got her arm under control, put Elias in his place, and dealt with her lifespan issue in one fell swoop. Oh, she also rescued the dragons in the process, because she's cool like that. She even got Elias and the Fae to play nice with one another for her sake, and convinced the witches to leave her alone. All of this, and a happy birthday to boot! I know that Annie and quite few others didn't feel it but this was pretty damn awesome from where I sat.

Chise came into herself. She learned to love herself. This show wasn't a single episode thing. It was an arc. A glorious, wonderful arc. Frail body but strong heart, emotive, compassionate, willing to put her life in danger to help others, able to take action when it was needed and capable of bringing people together when she needed help. As downtrodden orphans with magical powers go, she beats the pants off Harry Potter

.In short, a magnificent end to a magnificent show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually read the review of a final episode because I don't want to ruin my traveling along the journey, but I'm glad I did for this. Now I'll have no remorse from completely ignoring this bollox and continue with the manga. Saves me wasting my time and money if and when it washes up on our beaches. Cheers for that! Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 41 of 41