• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
That does nothing to show that the average, uninvolved in geek subculture person would have any idea what an "esper" is.

...because the average, uninvolved-in-geek-subculture person is the one who's going to be buying anime in the first place...? Or are you saying that non-geeks haven't heard of Asimov or Final Fantasy? Wink

To satisfy my own curiousity, I found "esper" used by Alfred Bester in the 1958 sci-fi short story "Oddy and Id" and later in "The Demolished Man." In fact, I found a lot of fascinating reading on the subject of old sci-fi and its influence on modern writing, but that's way beyond the scope of this thread (read: it's stuff that most other people might find jaw-grindingly boring).

I suspect that Bandai and/or Kadokawa will make the terribly minor decision of "psychic" or "esper" for us, and it will likely make no impact on how quickly I or the rest of us pull out our respective wallets when the series hits the shelves. <chortles>

Kep
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that at least half if not more like three fourths of the people who watch, for example, Adult Swim regularly, are not very well-read in a lot of science fiction and related concepts. Yes, all the preexisting fans and much of the online anime fandom will know, but a lot of the people who watch that stuff pay no attention to fansubs (or often any subtitles) and simply watch whatever's aired dubbed. So no, most people wouldn't be so likely to know terms like "esper" other than maybe thinking "hey, didn't they use that in some old videogame or something?" and such.
zalas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote
Haha, now the ASOS people are just toying with us, highlighting subtitles of "esper" in the subtitled promo video...
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
Haha, now the ASOS people are just toying with us, highlighting subtitles of "esper" in the subtitled promo video...

Hehe. They're listening to us. This is just too cool. It's like we're in control of the US fate of Haruhi; or maybe that's what she wants us to do Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5