• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.O.D.: Opinions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I saw this at Virgin the other day and almost bought it. I wanted first to hear wha tothers thought of it because it has come up a number of times for whatever reason.

Any good?
goins007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Are you talking about the Movie or the TV series? I'm a fan of both and have them all on DVD.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Is movie the same as the OVAs? Because I have seen the set of OVAs but not watched the TV series yet.

It was pretty entertaining and very pretty to look at but it didn't really blow me away, it seemed a bit shallow and throwaway. I dunno, maybe the TV series gets more involving or maybe I should give it another go. It wasn't bad, it was just a bit... Meh...

If it's fairly cheap, I would say it is worth a buy. It just didn't totally float my boat.
8daze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I quite like it. It does not move at the same speed as the OVA (which you definitely need to see before the series), but it uses its initially slower pace for a lot of character development. Personally, I like that type of thing, but it does take you longer to get to the main plot and action. When you do get there though, everything cranks up a notch.

I think it's one of the better shows out there, original and well-developed. I'd recommend buying or at least renting it.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ROD:OVA is a 3 episode OVA with just a lot of action and just plain fun to watch. I hate to say this but watch ROD:OVA for entertainment rather than trying to find too much character development or a well conceived "plot".

ROD:TV on the other hand is a 26 episodes series which has some character development and links the characters from the OVA with the characters in the series. There is action but there are times where you have just talk and character interaction. It can be slow at time and anti-climatic near the end, but overall, I enjoyed the TV series more than the OVA just due to the fact that the three sisters are so awesome together.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Both are masterpieces in my opinion. They both are very well structured and scripted. The twists are both logical and surprising which is a rare combination. The whole series feels plotted from the beginning and I smiled at the little post it from NeNeNe in the beginning of the first OVA upon rewatching it. The main characters are all so different, yet endearing. Both audio tracks are in a rather dynamic 5.1 mix if I remember correctly. Watch the OVA first since it both takes place and was made chronologically before the tv series.
Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Very good show. The OVA was OK, it had good animation and action. It is worth checking out. The show is the real good stuff of this series. But don't watch it until you see the movie/OVA.

Overrall I highly reccomend watching these. One of my favorite animes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Love them, both the OVA and the TV series are highly excellent and worth owning. Interesting action, very good storyline with excellent characters, comedy, drama, and a great musical score (especially the main themes). They'd definitely get my recomendation.
Ragg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I liked the overall feeling of both the OVA and the Series. The paper sisters in the series are a really great addition, and in the OVA, well it just is a nice break from gloomy animes. I.E Ergo Proxy.. <---(Man the terrain is so depressing...)

I personally liked the series better than the OVA, but either way you should pick one of them up. You won't regret it.... I think...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Guy wrote:
Very good show. The OVA was OK, it had good animation and action. It is worth checking out. The show is the real good stuff of this series. But don't watch it until you see the movie/OVA.

Overrall I highly reccomend watching these. One of my favorite animes.
Actually, given the massive recap they do in episode 14 of ROD the TV, it doesn't matter too much if you haven't seen the OVAs first. My first exposure was the TV series, and it didn't mar the viewing experience for me. Maybe it was because it was first, but I liked the TV series better--it's longer with more time for exposition & character development, and of course the artwork is slick and action-packed. The characters are pretty memorable, and most are attractive, to boot. But no matter which order you go in, it's a solid action/drama franchise, with deadly paper flying all over the place.
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
The OAV and the TV series are completely different beasts. The OAV is very fast paced with one awesome action sequence after another. The TV series on the other hand, has a much more methodical pace - yes, there are many cool action sequences scattered throughout the 26 episodes, but there's a lot more time spent on character development and drama and many episodes don't have any action sequences at all.

Both are excellent and are some of my favorite DVDs. Both are very well animated and have some fantastic songs (the main themes are very reminincent of the classic Bond theme). Just be aware that whereas the movie/OAV is an unabashed action flick, the TV series is more of a drama series with cool action sequences sprinkled here and there for good measure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't remember all of the details of the OVA by the time the tv series came out. There was plenty of "oh yeahs..." as the tv referred to the OVA elements. If you are eventually going to watch them both anyways you might as well watch them in order. If your like me and wait a few years between them you can experience the passage of time along with the characters.
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
R.O.D. is a series featuring excellent animation tied to a truly bizarre story with characters I just couldn't seem to care less about. I wasn't able to keep going for long so maybe the series got better later on. Soon after the paper dragon swarmed the 747 I called it quits. I can get into far-out stories and concepts, but R.O.D. just couldn't manage to suspend my disbelief long enough for me to start enjoying it. I know this series has quite a following though. My advice is to consider just renting the first disc or two to see what it's like for yourself.
WraithAkaMrak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Read or Die / R.O.D is one of my personal favorites, OVA and TV.

I wouldn't quite call it a guilty pleasure, but I could see why it may not appeal to everyone. But I love it. The concept, the characters, the music, the animation, even the voices. If you were ranking it objectively, compared to a lot of great anime series, it probably wouldn't rank very high. But it's a fun, goofy series that really appeals to me. (I will say that I didn't enjoy the Read or Die manga near as much as the OVA. But still recommended reading for fans.)

I saw the TV before the OVA as well, and I never thought it was a problem.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Read or Die (OVA) at first I thought that this was better paced then the TV series but overall I found that the journey from the TV series was much better then OVA. At first I thought that the TV series was slow and I couldn't care for the sisters, but with time and well done development this series the sisters really grow on you.

In terms of Order it doesn't matter since there is a recap episode in TV series (the latter of the series) but I think that since the OVA is a little shorter and easier to start off with that I recommend that. And also you won't have to break the bank to see if you want to start this series, since Rightstuf normally has the OVA for $10 or so.

Quick Little question Read or Dream books, are those books just more adventure of the sisters during the series?

Delta
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2