• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Great Eastern Lists U.S. Sailor Moon Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
What i find funny is that OpMoonrise asked if we want La Luna Splende in the US. SPOILER ALERT: That game stinks.

I'd much rather have something like the Genesis game or Another Story. Can you imagine Another Story in HD? Cool Or on the DS? I'd just love to see more Sailor Moon in English.

Even going as far as to buy whatever GE is putting out. I'd love to see more plush, dolls, and figures like what Irwin Canada put out in the late '90s-2000. I'm still missing Mars, Venus, and Artemis from the Irwin Canada plush assortment. Not concerned about the outer Senshi due to the current Sailor Moon economic climate (anything related to the outer Senshi, ESPECIALLY Saturn, carries a HUGE premium).

Speaking of Canada, Sailor Moon was huge up there. Seeing how we together are North America, this could mean great things for both of us, and I'm ready to call upon my friends for any Canadian-exclusive (hopefully non-perishable) goodies.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
What i find funny is that OpMoonrise asked if we want La Luna Splende in the US. SPOILER ALERT: That game stinks.

I guess the reason this was asked was because it was leaked a few months ago that Namco-Bandai has the video game rights over here along with other merchandise supposedly coming from Topps (yes, the trading card company).

http://i51.tinypic.com/167m5u8.jpg

Quote:
I'd much rather have something like the Genesis game or Another Story. Can you imagine Another Story in HD? Cool Or on the DS? I'd just love to see more Sailor Moon in English.

Sailor Moon Another Story - Best video game from the franchise. Cool
khaos1019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Perhaps some of the confusion is coming from the fact that I don't care about the dubs. When I said the quality of the ADV releases was horrible, I was talking from a general sound and video point of view. They looked and sounded really bad, due to being given bad masters from Toei. All I was talking about were those sub-only sets they released.

Yeah, the video and audio on those boxsets are terrible. I was happy when they came out and I could finally see the uncut episodes, but we desperately need a remastered release of those first two seasons.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
khaos1019 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Perhaps some of the confusion is coming from the fact that I don't care about the dubs. When I said the quality of the ADV releases was horrible, I was talking from a general sound and video point of view. They looked and sounded really bad, due to being given bad masters from Toei. All I was talking about were those sub-only sets they released.

Yeah, the video and audio on those boxsets are terrible. I was happy when they came out and I could finally see the uncut episodes, but we desperately need a remastered release of those first two seasons.

Seasons 3 & 4 also needs remastered releases. Geneon's DVDs may have been better than ADV's sets but if you compare them to the R2 DVDs, you'll see which is better plus the last few S & first few SuperS episodes need to be released with better sound quality as far as the BGM is concerned.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
khaos1019 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

We were definitely in the "take what you can get" mindset for Sailor Moon back then. I hope this merchandising info leads to something greater and hopefully positive for this series.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Joe anime wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
faytlein wrote:
OK Funimation, its time to stop being coy. Just announce it at Otakon, people will flood your offices with money, and everything will be right with the world. Just don't do 13 ep sets, that is a bit much considering the size of the franchise.....

Okay, for the record, 13 episode volume sets is not all that bad and for another record, the fact that we're even getting 13 episode DVD sets for new releases of any anime in this day and age is already an accomplishment in of itself when you consider how much of a stink people made during the distribution of 4-episode singles in years past. May I remind you that FUNimation had to dramatically change their whole business model just to appease people like us who didn't want to pay top dollar for a few episodes of a show we absolutely loved, even to the point of midway canceling EXISTING releases for loyal fans just so this new business model can be implemented. The last thing we need to read here is more bitching about more episodes per volume release.

I agree with KabaKabaFruit,a 13 episode DVD set is an accomplishment this day and age.if FUNimation does indeed get Sailor Moon i'm sure people will buy the DVD sets.

I'm fine with it myself but something i have noticed lately is that people complain when FUNi's sets has less than 13 episodes which is a problem because if you count how many episodes are in each season of Sailor Moon, you can see that in order to release each of them properly, most of the sets would have to have 12 episodes or less.

I did the math elsewhere a few months ago and this is how it might turn out.

Sailor Moon (All 46 episodes in 4 sets): 12 + 12 + 11 + 11

Sailor Moon R (All 43 episodes in 4 sets): 11 + 11 + 11 + 10 (This may change if they don't get episode 67 which was missing from ADV's set)

Sailor Moon S (All 38 episodes in 3 sets): 13 + 13 + 12

Sailor Moon SuperS (All 39 episodes in 3 sets): 13 + 13 + 13

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (All 34 episodes in 3 sets): 12 + 11 + 11

Those people that complain about not having enough episodes in a DVD set should really think about looking else-where if they aren't satisfied with FUNI.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes 11 to 14 episodes per set which is a good number. Cause you wouldn't imagine how picky most people I've met are. Including those who detest Funimation, whom I detest for not appreciating what Funimation owns rights to.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to think Manga or Beez could get the sets released over here too if Funi (please be Funi) has picked it up. Admittedly I already do own the ADV sets and the Geneon sets (but only 1 of the 3 movies) but I'd adore to get them remastered as ADV got given shoddy, shoddy master tapes given to them by Toei.

Decent re-subtitling by Funi (the amount of name mistakes in S & SuperS were shocking on Geneon disks) would make me happy too. Of course the big dream is of a redub and Funi is about the only company that would probably be able to do that.

...to be honest I am pretty certain I'd just import the US discs to the UK like I did the earlier releases in a shot if they do get licensed. I'd like to think 'I'll hold out till a UK release appears' is something I'd consider but after what's happened to Sailor Moon in the past I'd be too paranoid about the license not sticking around and it disappearing again. Embarassed
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Funimation doesn't always go that low -- their Case Closed sets appear to average over 20 episodes each and the Dragon Boxes appear to have over 40. This is a strong enough and lengthy enough franchise (assuming those are the variables) that I wouldn't be surprised to see it released in two sets per season, for a total of 10 as opposed to NJ_'s 17. (On the other hand, having the Doom Tree arc separate from the rest of R has its appeal.)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Funimation doesn't always go that low -- their Case Closed sets appear to average over 20 episodes each and the Dragon Boxes appear to have over 40.

That is because they released singles first before the boxsets. FUNi no longer does singles anymore since most people don't like to buy them these days. They gotta make more cash somehow so they came up with part sets to replace singles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I'd just like to think Manga or Beez could get the sets released over here too if Funi (please be Funi) has picked it up. Admittedly I already do own the ADV sets and the Geneon sets (but only 1 of the 3 movies) but I'd adore to get them remastered as ADV got given shoddy, shoddy master tapes given to them by Toei.

Decent re-subtitling by Funi (the amount of name mistakes in S & SuperS were shocking on Geneon disks) would make me happy too. Of course the big dream is of a redub and Funi is about the only company that would probably be able to do that.

Wasn't it reported that Toei wouldn't allow other markets to do new dubs for it? If so, it may not happen here either. It would be nice though as the original dub is terrible and it wouldn't be impossible to do an unedited dubbed release.
Mercurius360

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Wasn't it reported that Toei wouldn't allow other markets to do new dubs for it? If so, it may not happen here either. It would be nice though as the original dub is terrible and it wouldn't be impossible to do an unedited dubbed release.

It was, but remember:

-DiC merged with The Cookie Jar, and all of DiC's current programs, not including Sailor Moon, went there.
-The Canadian VAs moved on to dub other series.
-Geneon & ADV either shut down a US distribution center and/or let most of their anime properties go to other companies as a "rescued license".

So, it is high possibility that we will get a redub.

But, I want to point out something, from Moon Chase blog, that is related to the topic:
Quote:
We’re not even sure why this merchandise is mentioned online as none of the agreements for anything related to the anime and anime merchandise have been finalized yet (and this is most likely the reason that there are images up and no release date listed). We have learned this from a source that is not for public consumption, but this has everything to do with a higher parental agreement we alluded to earlier. Until this higher parental agreement happens for the United States, no anime or merchandise company can sign any agreements for the franchise. It is also fully possible that since the companies are also fully aware of fans’ attempts to get some of the new merchandise from Italy, that this deal with Great Eastern may be a distribution deal with one of the Italian merchandise manufacturers to bring merchandise to North America. These are simple products, and if they are released in the Fall it could make the perfect complement to Kodansha’s calls for there to be some cooperation with the release of the anime to coincide with the release of the manga for the success of the franchise. We are already aware of a similar deal with another Italian Sailor Moon product where they have been given permission to open up their orders to fans around the world (but we can’t share which product this is at this time). Once again, while this is an exciting time to be a Sailor Moon fan, please have patience, everything will come when the time is right.
I dunno what the "higher parental agreement" is, but that's what's keeping Sailor Moon from being licensed by anyone, and why Adam S. of FUNimation stated, back at Anime Boston 2011, that it's not open for licensing, just yet.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I make one little comment and everyone goes around the bend.

To the people that kept saying something about hating Funi's release pattern, I don't know where you all got that from. The line that everyone forgot to add was that I would buy Sailor Moon, regardless of ep count. All I said was that they I would hope that they wouldn't force us to buy 21 damn boxsets when they could go and make them 26 eps or more, so that the releases could be clumped together fairly well and not stretched out over three or more years, and the boxsets wouldn't be huge unwieldy things. I've waited a long time for Sailor Moon to make a comeback, and I think two sets per season would make everyone happy.

I'll still buy from whoever licenses it, in whatever form. So again I say to Funi...

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
A few months after the uncut box sets went out of print, I had just came into some money and I bought them... turned out they boot legs that were taken from the ADV sets, they're good but I feel a little uncomfortable watching them.

If Funimation does get it, then I plan to make a video of me destroying the bootlegs ala that scene from Office Space (well after I buy all of them that is).

Also I hope that if Funimation does get it, makes a new dub and gets to S I hope they have Laura Bailey and Cynthia Cranz play that kid and his mom in the Tea Ceremony episode (if you don't know what I'm taking about, watched Japanese version)
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I'd just like to think Manga or Beez could get the sets released over here too if Funi (please be Funi) has picked it up.

That's very doubtful seeing as how Toei Europe has been overcharging on their other popular tites. It's because of them that One Piece & Dragon Ball Kai has yet to get a UK DVD release (& Blu-ray in Kai's case).

Quote:
Decent re-subtitling by Funi (the amount of name mistakes in S & SuperS were shocking on Geneon disks) would make me happy too.

ADV's subs were pretty bad too which is why i hope to see any resubbing done completely from scratch and with a different translator involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5