• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Agreed, it was most of the time pretty good. In fact, I really enjoyed it until the last two episodes (108-109) that seemed to throw all logic out of the window... so I'll just pretend they didn't happen.

I'll give you 108 the ending was so abrupt that I didn't see it coming so quickly. But I didn't see anything in 109 that I would say "threw out all logic". I'm curious what it was you didn't like about that episode.

Quote:
I'm not that bothered about the mod souls left hanging - they were Urahara's experiments to track the bount so he could easily just decommission them. 'Cause he's that kind of a guy.

If he had his way, maybe, but I doubt Ichigo and the rest would willingly send them off to their fate. After all, they keep often useless Kon around, the other three are useful and have their own gigai.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CGord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, as far as Ririn/Cloud/Nova goes, they will be back in the real world next week, so I assume a stop at Urahara's is a given. It'll be easy to wrap them up until the next filler arc. All I know is next filler ep, I want another Karakura Red battle! lol
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
it may be a side thing that many people haven't really brought up but.....

when are we gonna see Urahara's bankai in the manga?

more importantly, spoiler[Chad's... I'm curious if he gets a sword or if its an even bigger fist (since Uryuu's bankai-equivalent had a sword form, I'm guessing a sword isn't that farfetched)]
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'll give you 108 the ending was so abrupt that I didn't see it coming so quickly. But I didn't see anything in 109 that I would say "threw out all logic". I'm curious what it was you didn't like about that episode.

spoiler[Mainly the fact that mysteriously Koga didn't die. We were told that when bount's doll dies, he dies. Koga's doll was shattered, and then on top of that Hitsugaya killed him. Yet for some unexplained reason Yoruichi thought that saving this ryoka who was trying to destroy Seireitei (and therefore the whole multiverse) was a good idea. How is another question, but all reason was shrugged aside for the sake of... what, some sentimentality so that we would feel better that the whole bount race wasn't destroyed? I can see that it's nice to think that there is some hope and blah blah, but the devastating impact of the experiments the shinigami had been doing with souls was kind of made empty at the same time.]

Otherwise I quite liked the episode. I thought it was nice that they took the whole episode to tie loose ends in peace, and I especially loved the Ichigo/Renji moments.

Emerje wrote:
f he had his way, maybe, but I doubt Ichigo and the rest would willingly send them off to their fate. After all, they keep often useless Kon around, the other three are useful and have their own gigai.

Like I said, the mod souls are far too powerful to keep around for real - remember how they totally kicked Ichigo's and Renji's collective asses in the beginning of the arc? And then suddenly became next to useless when fighting bounts, whithering down to maybe "sensing" bount reiatsu (if they didn't bother hiding it).

It's just that kind of thing fillers do really badly, but as a fan I just ignore (and promptly forget) those bits and take what's good. And might as well, as the writers will forget what they came up with, too.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a subscription to the thought that just because the Bleach filler was better than the Naruto filler that it was good. It was ok, but it was obviously a "make it up as we go" sort of arc. Setting aside the fact that the begining of the arc was ripped straight out of Yu Yu Hakusho's begining for Chapter Black (which is funny since series are done by the same studio), it was just drawn out. In the same month we got the whole Yoshino/Ishida encounter twice in two different episodes (i.e. plot rehash). And it was obviously incorporated as a way to include him for the fans since he lost his abilities. And later on since it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep him in the story they had to temporarily give him back his powers (that really bugged me since it sort of defeats the impact the true moment will have). Another example is Ichigo "losing" his Bankai. Just a stupid way to extend the longevity of the filler.

I didn't like any of the Bounto designs. They were all aristocratic vampires which to me was a way to make up for their shallowness and a quick way to get them accepted by fans (cause people just love vampires). That sort of fan pandering doesn't fly with me.

Also the show stayed pretty consistent animation wise throughout, so why there was a significant drop in that quality is beyond me. Just because it's filler doesn't mean the animation has to be dragged down.

It was hard for me to buy into the idea that the Bounto were as strong as they were. They were filler villains with nothing to really back up their badassness. They were just people coming onto the scene and were not really established. It was boring to have Kariya so overpowered just because the plot said so. Especially when you have Aizen around.

Is it just me or does anyone think that the Bounto arc made Soul Society out to be much more cruel than they really are? I don't think a mass slaying would have been ordered. It just didn't feel right to me and came off as a poor attempt to make the Bounto sympathetic.

Events that occur in the manga are rehashed and downplayed in the filler. So we're going to be seeing what is essentially the same event happen twice. Particularly note the episode with Ichigo and Renji. Just a watered down version of what's gonna go down later on. Basically the filler had the characters experience their later character development to a lesser extent.

All of this adds up to my main issue which is that the Bounto arc just didn't feel like it belonged in Bleach. To me the whole thing was just out of place and as far as I'm concerned will be tossed out as of this week. The arc has no impression, no impact. Although I will say we've gotten some great tracks from it. I love the new opening and especially the new closing song. Bleach has consistently had fresh and stylish singles in my opinion.

The filler did have it's moments (an episode here and there were not all that bad), but it still was drawn out borefest. I'm just happy we're back on track as now I can justify why I like Bleach so much again (and hopefully I'll be able to say the same about Naruto in the next few months).
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this nice tread, I can now go back to watching bleach. I can't wait to see what occures after the fillers. Thanks again for the update!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone think that the Bounto arc made Soul Society out to be much more cruel than they really are? I don't think a mass slaying would have been ordered.

Why not? They did it to the Quincy.

One of the points of the SS arc was to show that the Shinigami aren't quite as virtuous as everybody thinks.
CaRDz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone think that the Bounto arc made Soul Society out to be much more cruel than they really are? I don't think a mass slaying would have been ordered.

OT: I did not like the Bounto arc one bit. To say the least, it was horrible. The fight scenes didn't exact to the expectations I held for it, (same as Naruto's filler episodes), since Ichigo has gotten stupendously strong after his battles with 2 captain-level enemies. And he still got his ass kicked by the guy (forgot his name) with the Daruku doll? Kinda weird if you ask me.

But I think the new guy appearing at the end of episode 109 is the beginning of another arc. Or so I guessed. I hope so dearly that I am wrong.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
CaRDz wrote:

But I think the new guy appearing at the end of episode 109 is the beginning of another arc. Or so I guessed. I hope so dearly that I am wrong.

He's a character in the next manga arc. The anime, without a doubt, is going back to the manga for at least the next three episodes.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

One of the points of the SS arc was to show that the Shinigami aren't quite as virtuous as everybody thinks.

True, but from what I remember the Quincy were unyielding as far as negotiations were concerned and most importantly were able to defend themselves. The Bounto on the other hand were defenseless and didn't get the opportunity to negotiate. I know Soul Society isn't high and mighty, but it seemed like they went to the extreme way too quickly in this case.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
After horrible naruto experiences, I vowed not to watch any Bleach fillers...

And it's almost back on track! YES! Soooo many cool things I can think of that will look a bazillion times better in animation form! I've always thought that Bleach manga really came off like incomplete story-boards, begging to be animated. This will be sweet.
frouella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I thought the fillers were okay, but just barely. Meaning if I had anything else better to do (such as alphabetizing my spice rack, for instance), I didn't watch them; the animation "quality" just got to be painful after a while. Now that I hear they're ending though, I might just skim through them to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

One thing that I did think was cool was how the opening animation would sometimes include characters from the upcoming manga arc (Ulquiorra, Grimmjow, etc.). It seemed like the writers were trying to remind the viewers that the fillers would end eventually, and so they were trying to keep our spirits up!

Now if KT would only stop creating more characters, I would truly be happy. So far there's Ichigo & co. in the real world, 13 captains, 13 vice-captains, their subordinates, various SS characters, spoiler[the espada, the vastorodes (sp?), that group he just introduced with the 100+ numbers,] plus all the other characters I'm forgetting, and he still keeps on making new ones. I think he needs to learn how to play with the toys he has before he gets new ones. Rolling Eyes
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
He's a character in the next manga arc. The anime, without a doubt, is going back to the manga for at least the next three episodes.

Make that 4, the title for 114 is out spoiler[making the IchiRuki in me sqeee!]
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

True, but from what I remember the Quincy were unyielding as far as negotiations were concerned and most importantly were able to defend themselves. The Bounto on the other hand were defenseless and didn't get the opportunity to negotiate. I know Soul Society isn't high and mighty, but it seemed like they went to the extreme way too quickly in this case.

Remember the mod-souls? Kon is the only survivor of his kind because Soul Society created them and then destroyed them when they deemed them too powerful. I think of the Bounto arc as sort of a "what if the mod-souls survived?" type of story. They have similar origins, but one was able to escape their fate (at least for a while), the other didn't.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Now that 110 is out there what are the thoughts? It's a little different from the manga, the mod-souls are still running around though I think they'll just be there, but not involved. It didn't feel like the manga moved along as fast as the anime did, but a 18 or so pages a week can drag out anything. I wasn't too thrilled with the new ending animation, seemed like it spoiled a lot of things that wont happen for another episode or so spoiler[Ichigo's father, the Shikigami in school uniforms, the Arancar]. Vizard was pronounced different from what I had expected, more like Vaizard (which is a spelling I haven't seen in scanlations). Otherwise a great episode that will only keep getting better.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 42