• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Usagi Drop (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
...No news on a US or International license yet. Sad Also, are you saying we're weird? Your WEIRD!!! Kidding. Razz

This is a great series but at the same time, series like these tend to fall to the wayside because they don't tend to sell well outside of the fanbase so sometimes they don't even get licensed. Which is a d*** shame too. BUT this series does kinda hit up the moe fans too so maybe there is hope. I think if anything, NIS America will get us a DVD release if other licensers pass on this one.

Siren Visual has announced that it is releasing the series on DVD. Linky thing - you may need to scroll down the page. They ship overseas so all you will need is an all-region player.

I was going to say that Siren have, they are quite something else to what Madman do, granted shows like Tatamari galaxy and 5 leaves were not to my liking, but they also got shows like Angel Beats and Clannad which are the real emotionnal ones I wanted.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
I have found that I have a weak spot for scenes like this. What word would you use to describe her look? Suspicious? Disapproving? Censorious? No word really seems to fit.

So how does a 6-year-old girl get a notion like what she has here, anyway? Fun, anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
So episode had us finally see spoiler[Rin's mother, it seems pretty clear that she is or was just not ready to be a mother. She apparently found she was pregnant just as her job as a mangaka was starting, under the grandfather's advice she gave birth, and tried to still raise Rin. Looks like Rin's nightmares and fear of being alone came from Masoko leaving her alone dureing the night which Rin likely woke up. I wouldn't say that I dislike Masako, for a shallow reason she is pretty cute, and I found her odd behaviour quite interesting, she seems quite childish, though I am not sure whether it is in the same way as Rin, or the opposite.]

Way too big of a spoiler tag, but it would probably be best to watch the ep before reading the above. Still cute as ever, loved the graduation, the music and children doing the actions, spoiler[Kouki's lack of enthusiasm] was pretty funny as well. Seemed like quite a focus was put on what Daikichi is to Rin, Rin seems to have made it clear what he is not. Can't get enough of those suttle bits of humour and adorableness, no need to have some big lead up, just somone doing a small action that leaves Daikichi with that look that he was just insulted, and with added effect of Rin with squinted eyes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Good eppie. I loved how Masako kept playing with her hair; it seemed like a very real gesture. And then poor old Daikichi asking to spoiler[become Rin's adoptive father ... DENIED! Heh-heh-heh, then he cries like a big pussy about it.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I loved how Masako kept playing with her hair; it seemed like a very real gesture.

So did Daikichi.

I also like how his parents have totally warmed up to Rin. I don't have to waste energy hating them.

Here is my lol moment for the episode. I don't know why.

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Saw episode 7. So not everything is alright in Daikichi's cousin's life, we don't get exact details but it looks like spoiler[she has demanding inlaws, and her husband works overtime and lacks meaningfull intamacy with. She aprantly fights with her husband while thinking Reina is unaware, of course along the lines of this series, kids do pick up on things.] Actually the evidence to the trouble may have been evident earlier, like how she would go on about how close mothers are to their daughters, and concerns about Daikichi raising Rin alone.

I guess a theme in this might be valuable time people's lives where things are simple and they are innocent to some of the harder things in life. Like how his cousin wished to stay a girl, but she also knows that she has do things to make Reina happy, it feels rather sad really. Was probably best shown why the desirability of simple life of a child in that part where the kids criticised how being together and single as confusing.

I don't really dislike Reina really anymore, I guess her honesty most of the time can be likeable, though she is a bit of ignorance to go with it. I particulary enjoyed the part where she called Rin over during the night, her expression seemed so different to her usual self that it caught me off guard. Plus seeing the girls play together was sweet.
Sengura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the second ep and I must say, this is definitely the kind of anime I was looking for. A more adult themed anime that deals with real people in real situations.

Very awesome anime, I can tell this will be a good one, definitely recommend it.
Sengura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Woo, Ep 8 is out. Can't wait to watch!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Best episode so far. The scene where Rin's mother is watching Rin secretly was sad and happy at the same time. I also like the way it presents how Rin deals with her own grief.

Did Rin's mother abandon her for her career? Or is she using the career as a crutch to avoid facing up to what she did? I'm inclined to the latter view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
I don't have anything to add other than Daikichi gets my vote as most as the most decent man anime has presented this decade.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't have anything to add other than Daikichi gets my vote as most as the most decent man anime has presented this decade.

I wholeheartedly agree, Daikichi has quickly become my all-time favorite male anime character.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing what a fairly average amount of competence, confidence, and composure can do for a male character. I wish other anime would pick up on the idea.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's amazing what a fairly average amount of competence, confidence, and composure can do for a male character. I wish other anime would pick up on the idea.

Agreed. Although he is being kind of TAM* with the Yummy Mummy (Rin's little brat friend's mom). If he steps up to the plate there, I'll be very impressed.

*Typical Anime Male
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Agreed. Although he is being kind of TAM* with the Yummy Mummy (Rin's little brat friend's mom). If he steps up to the plate there, I'll be very impressed.

I was wondering about that myself. One of the pitfalls of writing a character like this would be making him too perfect, and if he managed to be a suave loverboy in addition to everything else he is doing it might have been too much. Maybe. I can be hard to write believable and interesting flaws in a character like Daikichi.

What I am waiting for is the first time he has some real altercation with Rin. She's an obviously sweet girl, but anyone who has ever had anything to do with raising kids knows that never lasts forever.

Also, I can't help wondering if something is going to happen with Rin's bio-mom Masako. Daikichi, if I am reading him correctly, is holding a lot of ill feeling towards her -- perhaps even contempt -- in check. Yet he feels something for her, otherwise he wouldn't have made any effort when he realized she was nearby. So what's the deal there?

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Aw, Masako is adorable. Terrible mother material, but adorable. It could be that Daikichi feels that it would be good for Rin if Masako eventually becomes more mother-ish and that's why he invited her to watch Rin secretly - in the hopes it may stir some sort of maternal instinct in her waif-like breast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8