• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=22498

Genres: Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
In Japan, there are seven superhuman highschoolers who are world-class geniuses in various fields ranging from governance to economics and beyond. On one fateful day, these seven wind up in a plane accident and wake up only to find themselves in another world. Finding themselves in a foreign place where magic and beast-people are real, they immediately proceed to panic-or at least that's what would've happened if they were some run of the mill students. If anything, these seven are actually using their talents to do absolutely ludicrous things so they can go home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well, I have aired some misgivings recently about shows making a singular character too amazing at everything, such as that I gave to Dr. Stone, where he seems to be an expert at everything mental. So I can kind of be okay with a premise that spreads the expertise across seven characters, especially along the lines of being an inventor expert and medical expert as two different characters, a specific complaint over Dr. Stone. Even if they are all unrealistically good. How did the magician do things like make his head float around, because I assume some sort of grounded illusion.

The first episode though did not yet explain exactly each character's quirks apart from cliché. Like I am interested in the difference between an expert politician and expert entrepreneur in the skill department. The title does actually make me think of another show I quite liked: "Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?". Both have overpowered characters, it was something I consider a hidden gem. Not that I am sure this show will work out as well.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh no. The elf girl just straight up kiss fed the dude. I guess that gives a hint about the kind of writing we can expect. Maybe she'll strip naked to warm up the dude's body next episode (nice).

I somewhat like the character designs, I guess.

Actually I chose to watch this show just because I saw a picture of the big boobed elf girl wearing a sexy dress on the ANN's preview guide.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I liked the economics storyline, much better than what the isekai of last season tried to pull.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

The show has had a fairly laid back tone so the sudden plot point about the heroine selling herself into being some ugly bastard's sex slave felt like an absurdly dark plot point for this show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think tone consistency is high on this show's priority list. Like "I'm not going to stoop to the level of killing this terrible lord" while hundreds of foot soldiers lay outside in pools of blood levels of consistency.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I could only think that the way to use the lord would be the basis of them going forward. Simply kill him and they are violent bloodthirsty revolution that simply needs to be killed instead. Be able to make an example out of him, get more allies while being able to make it uncomfortable for the empire to attack, and there might be a chance. So, they may need to have the people they defeated be able to explain how they brought things on themselves, and why certain groups may choose to join whatever their new nation may be.
Andrew Gupta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 4

The show has had a fairly laid back tone so the sudden plot point about the heroine selling herself into being some ugly bastard's sex slave felt like an absurdly dark plot point for this show.

seems like my kind Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well it finished, but kind of feels like a whole bunch of messy stuff was pulled off, like a warhead, demons, with dark forces perhaps controlling the world in mostly secret, and politician prodigy thinking he is the odd one out from his group as not a true prodigy since anyone can do what he does. I thought he was a prime minister before graduating, what silliness to make us even consider that he is not a ridiculous prodigy character. But that maybe fall that I think the show did a piss poor job at actually showing a master diplomat, since it felt like everything he did was just use force against enemies and manipulating masses into worship of a figure. There was never anything about having great negotiation, listening to the plights of people and solving matter through just diplomacy.

And I think that in general says a problem with this show, it was too messy and unfocused. It maybe had something earlier on with just the merchant arc, where it felt like some actual thought might be in place. But it pulled itself in several separate directions with abilities of its characters, and not a focus on the details that showed knowledge on the different parts. Especially bad in regards to the magician guy, where all his feats just make no sense how he could pull them off, so pretty much are just magic. No difference between his head floating around and what the magic people in the show could do. A good job would have seen some explanations of how he pulls off tricks and some insight into magician arts, such as sleight of hand and distraction. To say nothing about how awful an idea trying to call him a god is.

Instead it feels like the show tried to use charm to sell its stuff, such as giving a musical cue to magic shows, giving a character a catchphrase, general cuteness of a character, and other tropes like crushes or suddenly pulling deep dark side of a character. So the show lacked focus on details, and overdid it on manipulative fanservice (not erotic) elements. I am not immune to all its effects, sure there were parts that I found enjoyable to watch, sort of throw all the darts and bound to hit something. It does not even make it bad overall, I think it looked okay, and emotional stuff could pull off okay at times. I just don't want a continued method just throwing all sorts of stuff to have something hit, to be held as a good example.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), did somehow manage to keep drawing my attention with its attractive elements, even though I might question depth.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was wacky, but it wasn't like completely boring. It had stuff about how to run a business. Running a country. How modern firearms change warfare. Even friggin' mutually assured destruction doctrine became a thing, kinda. Wild.

Anyway rated it decent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1