• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actions Speak Louder than Words #BlackLivesMatter

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

Just as an aside, while people generally use both kinds of reasoning, it can be seen as a privilege to more heavily rely on non-consequentialist reasoning, particularly in situations where one person is much more likely to have bad outcomes than another. A privilege that white people such as myself must understand may get someone in different circumstances (ie. A black person) put at higher risk of being killed. Which moral system we apply can and should change in extreme circumstances. When we reach or even get close to our utopia, then we can talk more about how all prejudice is bad. Not doing so now is not what is keeping us away from that utopia.

As an Asian (which I only mention since you brought ethnicity into this), I don't believe in consequentialism since in the secular point of view, the end is simply that. No matter how good or how bad a person's life is, none of that will matter after they die from a secular point of view. Saved a child? Too bad, that kid dies within 200 years anyways. Created an actual universal utopia? Too bad, heat death, vaccuum decay, etc. Things change if you believe in an afterlife or an eternal reincarnating universe that is affected by your choices, but most modern religions are non-consequentialist. I guess there's the multiverse theory and all, but it's extremely unlikely that anything done in this universe good or bad could add or detract to the meta-universial mechanism creates the various universes (at least that's how I understand multiverse theory). Consequences are even less relevant if you believe that every choice splits off into multiple different universes for each answer.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
@Jeff Bauersfield: I was thinking of the consequentialist vs. non-consequentialist approach while writing some of my posts. But as a former non-consequentialist, I also think that a discussion like this really illustrates the limits of non-consequentialism, for some of the reasons you stated. Fixating on your principles being consistent without regard for how they affect others just feels very vain to me, and like it defeats the purpose of having morality, which should be about how it relates to the material world and not your own personal sense of your conscience. (I'm also a materialist, can you tell?) And I think that vanity is why it's associated with privilege: it can make it very revealing that you came up with your code doing thought experiments rather than with weighing problems in your own life.

I find the mention of vanity to be puzzling because I have the exact opposite motivation for my approach.

As a relatively wealthy college-educated white male I have little to fear from police. It would be very easy for me, if I chose to, to simply ignore all of this a I am not a member of a class who is victimized by racist police. The reason I am sticking to the principles that I am is because they strengthen the postions of we who are advocating for change. If we choose to call out all cops rather than the bad apples who risk spoiling the rest then those who would oppose us have a valid point of attack they can use against us. It is throwing fuel on a fire that we are attempting to put out. It is a weakness which affects our postion. If we can eliminate the hypocrisy from our arguments and proposals then that is one less counter-argument which can be used against reforming the police. This is not about me, this is about a higher chance of affecting change for those who are the victims.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Here's a consequentialist reasoning. Murdering all retired people will relieve stress on the economy which will raise the living standards for everyone else. Retired people after all have zero productivity (exceptions can be made for those that do work), don't have much time to live anymore and the suffering their relatives will have over their passing will be less than the suffering of people who would otherwise spend their lives in poverty.

And no, it doesn't matter whether that's actually the case. A consequentialist who believes that to be case will feel justified to proceed while a non-consequentialist will not.

I'm not a non-consequentialist, but I'm not a strict consequentialist either. I'm aware of the issues with consequentialism, as they're pretty easy to explain in philosophy classes with hypotheticals like the one you gave. For example: the classic trolley problem.

But anyway, this doesn't really disprove consequentialism so much as one particular application of it (and this is often the problem with these kinds of thought experiments). My argument would be that "economic productivity" is a really crappy way to measure the value of a life, and people have basic human rights regardless of how "productive" they are. (You could argue that I'm still appealing to abstract morality here, but I never said there aren't other reasons that could make people's lives less valuable.) And so I don't believe that eliminating people for that reason actually benefits society. It doesn't have to do with appealing to inner morality vs. consequences, because I believe the consequences themselves are not desirable.

My problem with that example you gave is less that they're a consequentialist and more the broader worldview that leads them to believe that that would be a desirable consequence. I feel the same way about the real example of Peter Singer, who believes that killing disabled infants is a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I'm curious why you advocate eliminating the entire institution rather than preventing the bad apples from spoiling the rest. We haven't gotten to the point where the whole bunch is spoiled as Swanson (and many others) proved.

Others have already raised some of the reasons in later posts, and I myself have already gotten at this some in my earlier posts. The reason that encounters with police so often turn violent is that violence (or the threat of violence, which, as far as I'm concerned, is the same thing) is their only tool. When a cop tells you to do something, implicit (if not explicit) behind that order is the fact that if you don't comply to their arbitrary satisfaction, they are legally empowered to physically coerce you. Even if you train police in nonviolent deescalation, extremely violent escalation is still their ultimate trump card, and it gets played with some frequency, as we have seen. Police are only human, they can only absorb so much training, and they can only recall so much of that training in high-stress, split second situations. Cops and their defenders are typically eager to make those points themselves, to explain why it was reasonable or justified for them to kill somebody. On the contrary, I think those are the reasons that cops should not be empowered to employ violence themselves.

If it makes you feel better to talk about "reforming" the police, rather than abolishing them, then you do you, but the scale of reform necessary to address the problem will ultimately leave you with something you're still calling "police" that is unrecognizable. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that you can simply disband the NYPD tonight and tomorrow all of society's problems will melt away. There is a lot of other work that must be done. But acknowledging that the police are fundamentally broken and cannot be "fixed" is a necessary first step.

Quote:
Quote:
The cops who are neither violent/racist/crooked nor enablers of the same seem to be so few and far between that they make movies about them on the rare occasion that they come along.
I'm curious where your statistics come from. Care to share some numbers?

I didn't provide any statistics, so I don't know what numbers you're asking for. If you want to know how rates of death-by-cop in the US compare to other countries, this is easily found via Google. If you want to see that minorities are disproportionately the victims of cop violence, that is also easily found via Google. If you are interested in verifying the extremely low rate of prosecutions (to say nothing of convictions) of these cops, well, I'll be damned, that is also easily found via Google. The particular piece you quoted is not really a "statistic" as much as a conclusion (and the insinuation that Serpico was the only "good cop" ever was tongue-in-cheek, although his story does present an important lesson about what happens to the good cops who try to change the system).

Quote:
I am not equating race with profession.
I am equating prejudice with prejudice because the underlying principle is the same--drawing far-reaching conclusions from a relatively small number of data points.
to repeat my example from earlier, a "little white lie" and perjury in a capital trial have obviously different consequences and it is a bit silly to equate them, but at their core they are both lies.

This is exactly what a false equivalence is, though. If you click that link you will actually find an example very similar to yours: "The Deepwater Horizon oil spill is no more harmful than when your neighbor drips some oil on the ground when changing his car's oil." By your logic, these are both "oil spills," and all oil spills are bad, so if we are going to condemn one, we ought to condemn the other.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any difference between those two statements. "Part of a problem" sure sounds like "bad person" to me.

"Bad person" is a moral judgment. "Part of a problem" is a factual judgment.

Quote:
The former statement, about holding all police responsible for the actions of the violent and racist ones, bothers me to a great degree. I don't believe in punishing A for the actions of B.

What about when A protects B from suffering any consequences for his actions? In criminal law we would then call A an accessory, which is a crime in its own right.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Just to be clear I did not take any of the comments as some sort of a personal attack. I simply used my own experience with law enforcement, as in my family's history, as an example. I was pointing out the fallacy, in my opinion, of making a sweeping blanket judgment against any group. Which is something I have spoken out against on a wide variety of topics. I was in no way trying to claim any sort of victim hood nor excuse anything. I simply have never personally seen where such blanket judgments have ever helped a situation or provided answers that could result in positive change. On any topic.

Fair enough, but not all groups are created equal, which is basically the same conversation we're having with AkumaChef.

AkumaChef wrote:
Edit: To clarify, I totally agree power matters in physical confrontations, but I don't see how it is relevant to rhetoric, which is what we are talking about here. My prior statements of power being irrelevant have all been in the context of discussion, like calling for the defunding of all cops. They had nothing to do with real-life physical confronations.

With all due respect, if you believe "power" is irrelevant in any situation, it's probably because you are the one who has it (by dint of race, or gender, or wealth, or social status, or any combination of the above, or whatever else).

Quote:
The reason I am sticking to the principles that I am is because they strengthen the postions of we who are advocating for change. If we choose to call out all cops rather than the bad apples who risk spoiling the rest then those who would oppose us have a valid point of attack they can use against us.

And this is where power is also an important issue. Those who have power generally do not voluntarily relinquish it. Calls even to "reform" the police, much less abolish them, will not be heeded by the police themselves because reform or abolition threatens their power. To achieve those goals, it is necessary to take power from the police, which, realistically, can only be accomplished by turning public opinion against the police. So, two things here. First, public opinion is not generally shaped by neat little academic debates. Second, if your position is that there are only some bad apples who need to be rooted out, then no change will take place because you have already conceded that it isn't actually necessary, that the police as an institution are fundamentally ok already. You will only convince people that the bad apples should be removed, which few people would have disagreed with in the first place. This is an argument for the status quo.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And yet why is in that many states have stand your ground laws? Which I don’t think needs to be explained as to the can of worms that’s opened up.

In some states, these laws were created at a time where it would be difficult for the police to arrive in some sort of timely fashion. That's understandable if you live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest precinct is a good 50 miles away. I don't think the laws were created at the time without the expectation that, as more people move to the area, older laws will be reevaluated. This has not happen in many areas and on a variety of laws.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

In some instance these videos can take a least a month or more to surface, sometimes they’ll need a court order to get released to the public. Which to some can look like a cover up.

Which is why I mentioned that this needs to be released within days of the event. For my department, if I am involved in an altercation, I need to have a written report of the events surrounding it submitted to my supervisor by the end of my shift. I have no idea if this is the same for every local, state and federal department, but something like this should be implemented so that there is greater transparency.

zaphdash wrote:
Good.

Is this the sort of thing you'd say to someone who just lost their child in the crossfire of a gang shootout because, without the police, those gang members will never be arrested? Clearly you've never been to countries like El Salvador where, unless you're wealthy, you're going to depend and continually pay the local gang to protect you.

Throughout this thread, I've yet to see any post suggesting a credible alternative to police. Yes, I understand that you don't like the current system and yes, like every other institution, it has its problems. But something like "It should just be like Japan" would require a voided second amendment, a largely homogenous society and the complete elimination of all firearms, which, with a porous southern border and over 200 years of guns ownership being legal in the US, is not going to realistically happen. Neither is eliminating all forms of prejudice unless we get to a point where we can program robots to do police work because every human has some sort of prejudice against someone or something.

zaphdash wrote:
The problem with police is that violence is ultimately the only tool in their kit. Sure, they may be trained in techniques of nonviolent deescalation, but if that fails -- or even, if they think that it has failed, or suppose they don't even bother to try it in the first place -- then where do they go? To their monopoly on the supposedly "legitimate" use of force. And when cops routinely close ranks to protect each other, it doesn't matter what sort of training you received about "what behavior needs to be displayed" before you can escalate your use of force, because the truth about what happened will never come out anyway. And if the truth does come out, say, because someone filmed the incident, cops are still rarely prosecuted (much less found guilty) because prosecutors can choose not to bring charges, and police departments will helpfully provide them with a narrative of the event to justify that decision.

There are many cops that are very skilled when it comes to de-escalation techniques. Just because you're not hearing about it on the nightly news does not mean that it isn't happening. On the contrary, I would argue that it is happening often as these sorts of clips don't make for interesting fodder for the American public.

As I mentioned before, I do agree that there needs to be more transparency. I would like to see all bodycam video as well as write-ups from the officers about the incident to be made available to the public in a timely fashion. But I also think that the public needs to reserve their judgement on what happened until this information can be presented. Change has to be a give and take from both sides.

Quote:
If you're a cop yourself, then you have your own perspective, and I have no doubt that you genuinely believe that you are doing good in the world and your community is better off for your service, and hell, maybe on a purely individual level, you're even right about that, I don't know. But the facts are: 1) cops kill a lot of people in America; 2) a disproportionate number of those people are minorities; 3) cops are almost never prosecuted, even in egregious cases that are caught on video. Whatever good an individual police officer might be doing, the police as an institution are rotten to the core.

The majority of people who choose to go into law enforcement do it because they want to help their community. There are some that choose to go into law enforcement for more selfish reasons, as there are with other professions. However, just because a few of them are bad does not mean that you fire everyone. That's like saying that because you scraped your hand when you fell, you should cut off your hand so you won't have to deal with the scrape. No other profession in the US is treated this way whenever someone in its profession does something bad. And while you can argue that the most harm that one bad doctor can do is kill a couple people or sexually abuse several patients, I could argue that what's done to the abused patients can be just as detrimental as what some cops have done when they've abused their position.

Cops do have limited liabilities, but that's needed for the work that they do. When it's a matter of life and death not only for yourself, but possibly people around you, you have to make split second decisions based on the information that you have available, your training and your physical status (ie. I'm a 5'4" woman and I stand little chance against a muscular 6 foot man in hand to hand combat). If you eliminate these liabilities, there are going to be less cops around, and as I've mentioned earlier, without the cops for protection, you run the risk of needing to pay gangs for it. Again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, until you are in a combative situation where you're facing bodily injury and death, you can't understand. No amount of training will prepare you for that scenario because, unlike real life, you're going to go home to your family at the end of your training.

I do think that those officers who have acted inappropriately should be fired and prosecuted. Most of the officers who I have spoken with about such events all feel the same way. There may be something else at work as to why that officer is not being fired, such as their ability to blackmail their supervisors. That actually happened in the case of my direct supervisor.

zaphdash wrote:
"The current destructive path of looting, rioting and demanding that all police be fired" is exactly how some things have already been accomplished -- charges for Chauvin and the other cops present at George Floyd's murder, contracts with police departments severed (e.g. for cops to act as "resource officers" in Minneapolis and Portland schools, something activists in those places have been trying to eliminate for years to no avail), etc. Direct action works. It is often the only thing that works.

No, what is happening right now is a knee-jerk reaction that is being done to appease the protestors. The state government needs to find some way to appease the protestors until their jobs return and they no longer have the time and energy to protest. The local and state governments will create some new measure, such as forbidding their local police to use choke holds, in order to appease the protestors. Then, the local police jurisdiction will implement a change designed to boost the police's morale, such as paying them more, giving them more tools and/or more protection. This will likely be quietly and internally approved.

Having been around for a while, I can tell you that what will happen is that the protestors will be footing the bill for this damage. Prices, Property and sales taxes will likely be increased to pay for all the damage incurred to stores (because someone will need to help them pay those insurance deductibles) and property. Since you'll probably lose a couple officers because they're being criminally charged, recovering from injuries sustained (or are dead) or they decide to part from the force, you'll now need to replace them and, in the meantime, pay overtime to officers in order to keep up the same level of protection that the public has come to expect. The local and state governments will have to find this money somewhere, and that often means that social programs such as education, medicare, social welfare workers, etc. are going to have their funds slashed. And as much as a local government threaten to slash the police's funds to appease protestors, the reality is that the money is going to come from somewhere and it's going to be from those that can least afford to lose these services.

If this is what you mean by direct action working, then by all means, continue.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
No, what is happening right now is a knee-jerk reaction that is being done to appease the protestors. The state government needs to find some way to appease the protestors until their jobs return and they no longer have the time and energy to protest. The local and state governments will create some new measure, such as forbidding their local police to use choke holds, in order to appease the protestors. Then, the local police jurisdiction will implement a change designed to boost the police's morale, such as paying them more, giving them more tools and/or more protection. This will likely be quietly and internally approved.

Cold comfort until the next police assault video surfaces. Then we're back to square one.
Policy enactments like these will only serve to patronize an already frustrated general public that are fed up with the force.

Seriously, you don't fix these issues behind closed doors and I'm sure everyone is sick and damn tired of people being content with these kinds of policy enactment practices knowing full well that it doesn't take full transparency into account towards a meaningful resolution.
GDinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
There's a Twitter thread coalescing videos of police violence just surrounding the protests, and just since the protests started and it's currently up to 324 different examples as of this post. The creator of that thread has a four year old podcast detailing even more examples unrelated to the protests.

John Oliver talked about Police Accountability in 2016. Some More News has done multiple videos about police misconduct since 2017.

We've got the Force Science Institute telling cops to be more lethal and offering free legal aid for any cop caught using their advice. We have Dave Grossman and "killology" being some of the most popular police training seminars in the country. Our president told cops that they should be more violent.

You can tell what day of the year it is by how many people have died in an altercation with the cops in the USA. It averages about 3 a day. That didn't change despite heavy restrictions in movement and a general reduction in crime thanks to the pandemic.

It took viral video for the ex-cop who murdered Ahmaud Arbery to be charged, because the cops didn't want to pursue the case and the DA said to make no arrests. It took days of protests for the officers who murdered George Floyd to be charged. This week, a 75-year old man was pushed over by a cop in Buffalo, and had his skull cracked open. None of the other nearby officers helped or called a medic. The official statement was that the man "tripped" until the video of it, again, went viral.

Americans already pay a gang to protect us. It just has to go through the tax offices first.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
But anyway, this doesn't really disprove consequentialism so much as one particular application of it (and this is often the problem with these kinds of thought experiments). My argument would be that "economic productivity" is a really crappy way to measure the value of a life, and people have basic human rights regardless of how "productive" they are. (You could argue that I'm still appealing to abstract morality here, but I never said there aren't other reasons that could make people's lives less valuable.) And so I don't believe that eliminating people for that reason actually benefits society. It doesn't have to do with appealing to inner morality vs. consequences, because I believe the consequences themselves are not desirable.

My problem with that example you gave is less that they're a consequentialist and more the broader worldview that leads them to believe that that would be a desirable consequence. I feel the same way about the real example of Peter Singer, who believes that killing disabled infants is a good idea.

Ethics are first and foremost supposed to guide one's actions not judge the result. So it does not really matter what you believe, what matters is what a system of ethics allows a person to do at the moment of choice. All systems of consequentialism that I know of have the problem of setting a justified timeframe and scope and all of them have to calculate possible results in an unknown future. Not usually a problem for an ordinary dude going through their ordinary life, but as great Uncle Ben once said "With great power comes great responsibility" so the more power a person has, the more consequentialism can lead them to commit atrocities.
This is not just a particular application of consequentialism, it shows a universal issue with it, in fact several. It is also wrong to think of nonconsequentialism vs. consequentialism as somehow abstract vs practical. Both paradigms are normative, they try to come up with abstract principles that will give you tools to use in real life. Consequentialist tools are just more contextual.

P.s. The trolley problem is not meant as a criticism of consequentialism, it merely shows that people value both consequentialist and non-consequentialist positions. A consequentialist may feel bad about pushing the fat man on the tracks, but it doesn't problematize their reasoning that it's the right thing to do.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I am not equating race with profession.
I am equating prejudice with prejudice

Several people said that all police should be held responsible for the actions of all police. You equated that with holding all people of a certain race responsible for the actions of all people of that race.One is racism, the other is not. One is based on choice, the other is not. It's a false equivalence.

But this arguement is pointless. We can go back and forth forever about it. You're in agreement on the larger issue (BLM) with the people you are arguing with, and in disagreement on a smaller issue (The extent of police reform needed).

I don't think it's constructive to argue those points at this time.

-t
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I would not exactly agree with your point of thought, but I get what you're implying. I also fully admit as a white male my experiences are nowhere near the same as others. I am not ignorant of that fact at all. Let me ask you this though, If you say that this poison within the law enforcement system will always be there no matter how much training or change is given what would be your answer? No police? Abolish the entire thing and get rid of law enforcement? I'm not being facetious or passive aggressive here, I'm seriously asking. What would your solution be then?

Personally, I don't have a hard and fast position yet. Definitely some level of defunding and transferring some police responsibilities that should never have been theirs in the first place to social instituations (ie. community center prevention, social workers, mental health professionals, etc.). I can't remember if it was you, but I believe a poster mentioned earlier that even some police higher ups acknowledge that over the years they have been asked to do more and more tasks that are outside their previous tasking and training. For instance, police should not be responding to mental health crises, or at least not by themselves. In general, I think too much power has been consolidated into the police department; this power and responsibility needs to be dispersed across other agencies.

Full abolition? I don't know. If we can make it work, I'd like to see it, particularly given the slave patrol and anti-poor roots of the police department. But we can definitely gradually start moving in that direction now even if we eventually stop before full abolition. Society existed before police, so who's to say it won't exist just fine without them?

Oh, and I didn't think you were being passive aggressive or factitious at all. Just seemed like calm and civil to me.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
@Jeff Bauersfield: I was thinking of the consequentialist vs. non-consequentialist approach while writing some of my posts. But as a former non-consequentialist, I also think that a discussion like this really illustrates the limits of non-consequentialism, for some of the reasons you stated. Fixating on your principles being consistent without regard for how they affect others just feels very vain to me, and like it defeats the purpose of having morality, which should be about how it relates to the material world and not your own personal sense of your conscience. (I'm also a materialist, can you tell?) And I think that vanity is why it's associated with privilege: it can make it very revealing that you came up with your code doing thought experiments rather than with weighing problems in your own life.

And just to add to that, non-consequentialists tend to ignore that their principles, while applied in a vacuum, weren't created in a vacuum. Humans, mostly privileged white ones, came up with them, and their thought processes are inextricably linked to their life experiences.

Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
This is a system where the richest black man cannot escape the very same systemic issues as the poorest. It is baked into the system. That poison will always be in my body..

I agree with you that all white people are guilty of racism and all black people are victims of it, but I'm not sure I'd put it exactly this way, which I think denies intersectionality: the fact that oppression is a multiplication rather than addition problem. Race and class are deeply intertwined in American society, so there are absolutely examples of racism that poor black experience more than rich black people... even if it's true that even rich black people can't fully escape it. (Some people in this thread would be amazed at the number of Ivy-League-educated black professors I've known who've been pulled over by cops for just "existing while black" in a majority white neighborhood. Often their own neighborhoods!) I'm personally a member of a lot of marginalized groups on paper -- female, lesbian, autistic -- but I'm able to ameliorate a lot of that because I have the class privilege to choose a place to live and profession where the stereotypes I'd face elsewhere are less of issues. If I were poor and did not have those same opportunities, I'd probably face a lot more everyday homophobia, misogyny and ableism than I do as a Ph.D. student living in a large and progressive urban area.

Yeah, I tripped over that sentence a lot while writing it. I still didn't think it was particularly well written after I posted it. I had this research in mind when I wrote it: https://www.npr.org/2018/03/19/595018784/research-shows-black-boys-are-most-likely-to-be-stuck-in-cycle-of-poverty. I definitely see where I was ignoring intersectionality in that line of thinking, though. Thanks for pointing it out. We, or at least me, can often get tunnel vision when focusing on one aspect of oppression.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

Just as an aside, while people generally use both kinds of reasoning, it can be seen as a privilege to more heavily rely on non-consequentialist reasoning, particularly in situations where one person is much more likely to have bad outcomes than another. A privilege that white people such as myself must understand may get someone in different circumstances (ie. A black person) put at higher risk of being killed. Which moral system we apply can and should change in extreme circumstances. When we reach or even get close to our utopia, then we can talk more about how all prejudice is bad. Not doing so now is not what is keeping us away from that utopia.

As an Asian (which I only mention since you brought ethnicity into this), I don't believe in consequentialism since in the secular point of view, the end is simply that. No matter how good or how bad a person's life is, none of that will matter after they die from a secular point of view. Saved a child? Too bad, that kid dies within 200 years anyways. Created an actual universal utopia? Too bad, heat death, vaccuum decay, etc. Things change if you believe in an afterlife or an eternal reincarnating universe that is affected by your choices, but most modern religions are non-consequentialist. I guess there's the multiverse theory and all, but it's extremely unlikely that anything done in this universe good or bad could add or detract to the meta-universial mechanism creates the various universes (at least that's how I understand multiverse theory). Consequences are even less relevant if you believe that every choice splits off into multiple different universes for each answer.

Thanks for offering your Asian, religious/philosophical perspective. I love interacting with differing perspectives, particularly of cultures I don't usually have the opportunity to interact with. I feel like we're both oversimplifying the other side a bit, if only to not make these posts pages long treatises. Non-consequentialists can certainly apply context to modify how they apply their principles. Strains of Judaism, for instance, have the idea of a "living Torah" and certain other principles that are designed to make followers not blindly follow their understandings of God's principles into an early grave or to the detriment of certain populations.

While I certainly lean more towards the consequentialist side, I think we definitely need strains of both in our thought processes. Non-consequentialists need to analyze context so that their morality isn't just formed in vacuum, and consequentialists to use principles to guide their thinking in the absence of humans not being omniscient or perfect analyzers. Other than growing up nominally Christian, I'm trying to study and act more Buddhist, as much as a white guy in America can at least while trying to avoid a lot of the New Age trappings we usually tack on. I like the idea that morality can be understood through a karmic law that is as much a part of the universe as gravity. So morality is both objective and based on consequences, how we can observe what is skillful and not skillful. And like you said, even though we like to take it out of Buddhist thought, reincarnation is inextricably linked to this karmic law. Thanks again.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
And just to add to that, non-consequentialists tend to ignore that their principles, while applied in a vacuum, weren't created in a vacuum. Humans, mostly privileged white ones, came up with them, and their thought processes are inextricably linked to their life experiences.

First of all, consequentialist philosophers are just as white and privileged. Second of all, those principles don't just spring up in some person's mind. They are a result of millennia of intellectual discourse and life experiences that, maybe weirdly, for someone high on a postmodernist koolaid, show that most things that people, rich or poor, treasure, are universal. Socioeconomic status may influence how those things rank in value.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this article, ANN.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As a longtime member of this site and a black male who's dealt with police brutality in the past, this gesture is definitely appreciated.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13