• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heaven's Design Team (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote

Heaven's Design Team (TV)

Plot Summary: In Heaven's Animal Design Department, designers create a variety of new animals daily while contending with the unreasonable requests of their client: God.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

What kind of sociopath approved of Naked Mole rats? I had heard that they have queens, but I was really thinking the hive mentioned in this episode would turn out to be ants, not some kind of mammal.
poltroon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:40 am Reply with quote
I adore the recurring attempts to create unicorns and pegasi and other horse-like creatures. Saturn is correct: Horses are the best animals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
Almost feels like he would be some sort of equivalent of a "horse girl".

But my earlier suspicions of his character was based off something I remember learning from Shirobako, which had a part about a veteran animator brought in to help with animating horses, because horses are notoriously hard to animate. So veteran in the creative field could be an expert on making horses work in animation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I suspected that the last one was going to be Shimoda. No idea what bird doesn't lay eggs though, I tried googling for an answer and mostly got peacock back, but just because they are the male name for the bird.

But I really enjoyed this show, it is not like it had much of a running narrative or anything, but I feel safe to say it was one of my favourite of the season. It could be rather interesting in learning things about animals, and it managed to make me laugh on a fairly regular basis. It was a fun watch, and I would say it wasn't anything like mean spirited.

I also want to make a quick note about how it had gender. Firstly that you have someone like Neptune who is a big man, but is just a big teddy bear who has a fondness of cute things and there is never anything against him liking cute things. And we also have Venus, who I think it is a reasonable guess to pick up is likely a transwoman, but no issue is ever made about her likely being trans, the show treats her like a woman, she wears plenty of feminine outfits, and she is just herself. That is kind of cool of a series, to have a likely trans woman and treat it as incredibly normal. I love a lot of the character in general also, like especially Pluto, who through her design you might think would be rather girly or something, but her part was usually something that is a bit creepy or weird.

Anyway, my rating is Very good (8/10). Maybe it is just me, where I can get really attached to certain series for what might not be a good reason, but I really enjoyed this show, I might even rate it higher just on the good feels. I would certainly say it was better than both series of Cells at Work this season. Would love to see more anime that do these edutainment stuff like Cells at Word, or treating heaven and hell like work places such as Hozuki-kun.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
Third on my list of underappreciated shows of Winter, 2021, along with Kemono Jihen and Dr. Ramune. Learned a bit, laughed a bit, and was entirely entertained by every episode.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I do hope they make more of this. It was fun, it was entertaining, and it was educational.
I wish I'd have retained more of the stuff I learned in it, but I know I already forgot cool factoids I heard during the show.

I agree with DP, these kind of shows are fun of these unusual workplace environments.
I'd give this a good over-all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I was surprised, there was another episode. I am not going to complain, I really like this show.

Also got an answer for a bird that doesn't lay eggs, it turned into a Kiwi, which Venus apparently got sick of trying to fit the design to what little sense a bird not laying an egg would make biologically, and started designing from a hamster. God agreeing to the design before Venus could put more touches on it because he thought it looked funny how it has the egg in its body.

And then a hodgepodge of designs, where they all had to make something meeting a different trait; doesn't sink, can stand painful surfaces, eats needles, can stand heat and cold, and needs little water. And then have to combine them all into one animal, which had me wonder what could possibly fit all of these, but after a few ideas to meet the requirements I figured out it was a camel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1