• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nodame Cantabile (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
it would be sad, because I like the way Nodame and Chiakai love each other... and of course, many other things were very good at this drama...

but thanks the information!!! Smile
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Like Nodame a lot ..... another classical music oriented anime out recently is La​ Corda d'Oro, also good fun, less music but lotsa high-school romance & intrigue, the heroine is given a magic violin & has to make it real for her. Not bad.

Regards,
Nico M
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
another classical music oriented anime out recently is La​ Corda d'Oro

I saw the preview for this in Shoujo Beat, I must admit though it didn't overly appeal to me, not even half as much as Nodame does. Of course, only reading the first chapter doesn't really show the worth of a series, though Nodame had me more interested after it's beginnings.
adonais

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
Blimey. Had to collect my jaw off the floor after the Rachmaninoff concerto in episode 11, that was something mind-blowing awesome. The piano performance.....wow, just wow. I was thinking, that has to be motion capture, no way someone would go through the bother to painstakingly animate the hand movements so realistically ab initio??? Must be one of the best fake musical performance I've seen, comes close to the real thing!

I really like the fact that they don't rush things, and give a lot of air time to letting the musical scenes run for a fair length, allowing the performance to sink in and do justice to the musical piece. Especially the two concerts in episodes 10 (the Rhapsody arrangement in ep 10 had me grinning from ear to ear through the whole thing) and 11 were great in this respect.

I'm kind of wondering where the series is heading though. Not that I mind it hovering right here for a bit, it's a good place to be, but it's sort of in the air that things are on the move...however slowly. Anyway, what a great series this is turning out to be -- if like me you love classical music and anime, Nodame Cantabile is sheer delight.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Blimey. Had to collect my jaw off the floor after the Rachmaninoff concerto in episode 11, that was something mind-blowing awesome. The piano performance.....wow, just wow. I was thinking, that has to be motion capture, no way someone would go through the bother to painstakingly animate the hand movements so realistically ab initio??? Must be one of the best fake musical performance I've seen, comes close to the real thing!

I really like the fact that they don't rush things, and give a lot of air time to letting the musical scenes run for a fair length, allowing the performance to sink in and do justice to the musical piece. Especially the two concerts in episodes 10 (the Rhapsody arrangement in ep 10 had me grinning from ear to ear through the whole thing) and 11 were great in this respect.

I'm kind of wondering where the series is heading though. Not that I mind it hovering right here for a bit, it's a good place to be, but it's sort of in the air that things are on the move...however slowly. Anyway, what a great series this is turning out to be -- if like me you love classical music and anime, Nodame Cantabile is sheer delight.

I really enjoy their selections as well, and have to agree that they are doing a wonderful job with the "performances" within the anime. Pacing isn't really an issue with me that much for something as immersive as this, but they're doing a great job working in the performances while keeping the pace proper enough for this type of anime. Definitely something for people who like anime and classical, and even something for people who just like one or the other. I might go show this to some of my friends...

Another thing I like about it is the definite... "Normality" that it expresses despite the comical exaggerations and the accelerated advance of careers. I do get the sense that I am following the paths of two "geniuses," which is a good thing due to the fact that that is pretty much what they are. Reactions are not ridiculous for the most part, emotions seem somewhat real, and though it is exaggerated romance, the characters do seem normal. There's no ridiculous powers, but the music well makes up for that in suspense, drama, and emotional power.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Blimey. Had to collect my jaw off the floor after the Rachmaninoff concerto in episode 11, that was something mind-blowing awesome. The piano performance.....wow, just wow.

At the risk of sounding like a complete dork, it made me cry. Anime cry It was just so beautiful and inspiring, and the animation was done so well, I just...guh. And I loved that little conversation between Chiaki and Streseman (sp?) on their couches afterwards; so few words to say so much. Episodes 10 and 11 are definitely two of my favorites now!
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Man. I really dug this show. Granted, I'm a pianist with a focus on romantic/20th century music, so my opinion was biased from the start. Anywho, it was all very accurate--though the translation I got kept making cantabile 'song-like' which, although acceptable, sounds kinda goofy to say about...a song. It's supposed to be as if being sung, especially with a more fluid, adaptable tempo--ergo Nodame's style. Good stuff, though. I enjoyed all the characters, especially Nodame, her bizarre dialect, and her indefatigable pursuit of Chiaki.

My only complaint is that they omitted Scriabin. I mean, for the love of all that is holy, how do you include Chopin (huge influence), Debussy (influence/contemporary), Ravel (contemporary), Bartok (atonal composer) and Jolivet (atonal composer), but leave out Scriabin? It's beyond me. They even had Rachmaninoff! Rachmaninoff! From wiki: "The early death in 1915 of Alexander Scriabin, who had been his good friend and fellow student at the Moscow Conservatory, affected Rachmaninoff so deeply that he went on a tour giving concerts entirely devoted to Scriabin's music. When asked to play some of his own music, he would reply: 'Only Scriabin tonight'." Not to mention, Scriabin died of septicemia (from a shaving cut, no less) in the middle of composing his masterpiece...thirteen years before Fleming discovered penicillin. Loads of material they could've used there. I haven't finished reading the manga, but I doubt he's included there, and I found the live-action drama to be intolerable, so I shan't find it there either. Oh well.

That said, it was good to see the Rach 2 (from what I've seen, Rach 3 always gets the attention for being technically ridiculous) and Chopin's first concerto (considering he wrote almost exclusively for solo piano). I really liked the performances, particularly on the piano--which brings me to my real reason for dredging up this six year old topic: does anyone know who the aforementioned piano performances were done by? I went to the Nodame Orche website, and they seem to have Lang-Lang as an artist (who would certainly fit for Nodame's style), but I don't read kana (or Japanese period, for that matter) so I'm not sure. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I would love to know that as well. At one point I tried to find out who the pianist was playing her parts, but all I could find was that all the pieces were performed by the Nodame Cantabile orchestra, one specifically put together for the live action and anime. So really interested to know who it was who played her piano parts. Hers and Chiaki's.

Nodame Cantabile is in my top 5 favorite animes of all time.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Even though the thread is approaching its sixth anniversary from three posts ago Shocked , don't lock it yet. (And even then, revived just so the poster could complain about music issues--Huh? Wanna join the rest of us, there?)
The thread was originally around from when the series was first Crunched or fansubbed, but it's a good chance for new folks to pick it up from the (not too bad) Animax English-dubbed version on Crackle.com.
Seem to be frequent tie-up reasons why we'll never see it on disk, so the Crackle airings need all the help they can get.

And yes, it's one of my favorite discoveries:
A romantic comedy with this much literate snark and silliness would be rare enough these days, but the show actually requires you to know and appreciate a basic background of classical music--
I've tried to put this show on the list of first-time recommendations to new anime fans, just that it's so out of the way to track down on the Net.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe I hadn't seen it until just a couple of weeks ago. I had been recommended to it but avoided it merely because I was under the impression that music anime simply did not get this good. Anywho, I'm steadily more and more convinced that Lang Lang did the performances...

And everyone should listen to more Scriabin! My highest recommendations are Piano Sonatas Nos. 4-10. Askenazy, Kissin, Sofronitsky or Yevgeny Sudbin for performers; I'm not a Horowitz fan for Scriabin, and what Glenn Gould does to him is simply atrocious.

Oh, and EricJ--I've seen you post a number of times and have always wanted to tell you that your goose avatar always looks like an odd-colored rabbit with an exquisite mustache to me. I don't know why it does, but I'm glad I've now had the opportunity to tell you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3