• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Coyote Ugly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadesico81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
you and me a kind of close with a ammount of figures we each have. I have most of my other ones in my Office. I only keep the big ones in my liveing room.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
How is it that every major highway in California has six lanes in either direction, but is always busy every single day from 7AM to 8PM? I thought driving through New York City en route to Jersey was bad (and anyone who's done the same thing will agree), but this eternal constipation of traffic in the Sunshine State is ridiculous.

BTW, Florida is the "Sunshine State".

California = "Golden State" Wink
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
Thirding the fact that all of California does not suffer the sort of traffic you see in LA. I'm in the San Francisco area, and the traffic is rarely as bad as it is in SoCal. Ugh, eww, SoCal highways. It's just so smoggy and it feels like the whole place is covered in highway. It's not like that up here.

Anyway... I was really happy that ADV picked up Best Student Council, but what is with that cover art? Such fanservice. I know it'll probably sell better that way, but even the Japanese covers had them in their school uniforms. Bleh. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:

BTW, Florida is the "Sunshine State".

California = "Golden State" Wink

Doh.

Well it still has rank traffic. ;p

(Clearly, I haven't lived in California long enough to bother checking up on state factoids beyond just complaining about it. ^^Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Ugh, eww, SoCal highways.

Reminds me how much time it took after saying farewell to A7 two years ago. Took me almost three hours from downtown LA to Riverside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
thanks again to Bamboo Dong for featuring me as a guest review writer this week. And now for some replies to people's comments...

Someone_II wrote:
Quote:
199 discs? We all know he's added DVDs since then, too…
It's not THAT much bigger than mine. Laughing

that would be my collection... it's an old photo, haha, even the Ninja Nonsense DVDs aren't there Embarassed

here's an updated pic... but even this is out of date already: http://family.webshots.com/photo/2806525380096115167UTmprS

britannicamoore wrote:
Shelf Obessed...
I wasn't able to purchase Ninja nonsense because its selling for $27 at best buy. The second one is $20...i don't know. i think they messed up somewhere.

Wow. He seems to like a lot of the: Harem/maid anime. I was glad to see Infinte Rvyuis on that shelf! Only 1 vol of Elfin Lied? It gets better!

I bought all my Ninja Nonsense volumes online... they were $18/each where I regularly buy. I was gonna hold off and wait for the complete collection, but I don't think it's coming anytime soon. And hells ya, I love the harem/maid shows (see the "dorkiest moment" comment). I really enjoyed Infinite Ryvius... I'm always looking for some good deep-space series. Elfen Lied wasn't too my taste, I'm not too big on blood and guts, but I have heard many many good things.

and some comments on this week's Shelf life...
- Solty Rei: I've seen episodes 1-7 and then I stopped when I decided that this was a definite buy. Now I can finally egt started for real... my volume 1 preorder shipped this morning ^___^

- Coyote Ragtime Show: I saw episode 2 from the Newtype-USA promo disc... it was alright, but there are much better shows out there that I could be watching

- Utawarerumono: same as above... this show is odd, not really my genre-of-choice, maybe the complete collection will entice me, otherwise, I pass

- Best Student Council: first, those are the ugliest school uniforms I've ever seen. Second, the puppet creeps me out. Third, well, I think all those different divisions of the BSC seem cool, so maybe I'll give it a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
nadesico81 wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
Quote:
199 discs? We all know he's added DVDs since then, too…
It's not THAT much bigger than mine. Laughing

Nice article.

Ha ha ha Jeff mine if pushing something like 400 DVDS. I have a huge pile of anime DVDS I still need to watch.

Case in pont

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/?action=view&current=KIF_2162.jpg

This is a old pic I have a whole new shelve on top of the one with the lamp on it.

what do you mean a huge pile? you told me the other day that you only have 8 to watch... lies!!! oh, and you can't see in that pic, but I bought the 4th volume of Stratos4 finally

Asrialys wrote:
Are those...alphabetized?

maybe THAT should be the dorkiest thing I've ever done... but then again, a lot of people I know organize their collections by alphabetical order. I woulda done by genre, but so many series are intertwined. Although, some aren't in their right place because some of the boxes didn't fit on the lower shelves. oh well
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
The Love Hina anime and Excel Saga? Bleh.

And my shelves are mostly alphabatized. My anime and manga collections aren't though...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
The problem in alphabetizing comes from the common prefixes in many title. Does Gundam go under G or M for Mobile Suit. Does Dunbine go under D or A for Aura. Does Nadesco go under N or M for Martian. Does Evangelion go under E or N for Neon.
The other problem comes with sequels that don't follow alphabetically. I placed Banner of the Stars under C after Crest of the Stars. The Gundam series are in release (Japanese) order so Zeta Gundam comes before Char's Counterattack. The same goes for Mezzo Forte/ Mezzo and a few other titles.
Maybe worrying about these things is the dorkiest thing I do!
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The problem in alphabetizing comes from the common prefixes in many title. Does Gundam go under G or M for Mobile Suit. [etc.]

For me, it's real names all the way. So Gundam is under M, Nadesico under M, etc. Actually about half my anime are under M. Weird. I made one exception to the alphabetizing, which was putting the Gundam titles in chronological order by UC timeline then putting alternate timelines at the end.

I'm surprised everyone doesn't alphabetize, but I realize it means moving stuff around everytime you make an acquisition. I only alphabetized a month ago when I moved my DVDs to a decent space, so we'll see how I keep my word when I start adding new things in.

All you guys are on the bleeding edge of releases. I'm still planning on buying things like FLCL, Hare+Guu, Ah! My Goddess, etc. I only just bought the first two Tenchi Muyo OVAs.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I'm surprised everyone doesn't alphabetize, but I realize it means moving stuff around everytime you make an acquisition. I only alphabetized a month ago when I moved my DVDs to a decent space, so we'll see how I keep my word when I start adding new things in.

In all honesty, nothing I have is alphabetized at current. Storage space is rather tight at the moment (bought a new set of shelves in 2006, and even that's half full now). I have no choice but to constantly rearrange things around so as to maximize what space I have (artboxes are a pain in this regard).
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
While the spoilers given for Utawarerumono aren't major, I know most of the people I know who saw the series with knowing spoilers liked the ending more then I did (I had it pre-spoiled), so I'd be careful about that.

I actually enjoyed the folk tale like side of the earlier episodes, though not so much the slow pacing part of it as much as the atmosphere. As for whether there's a pay off later in the series... I'd have to say that heck yes there is. Kind of hoping they bring the animation quality in episode 14 in line with the rest of the series, though (those who have seen it know what I'm talking about).
anubisx00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'll need 4 pictures for my rotating DVD case. I just did a count and I have 491 DVDs that I've spend over $3200 on so far. Great, now I need to buy some more so I can break the 500 DVD mark. Rolling Eyes Although, thank god for thinpacks otherwise I'd need a lot more space. And yeah, I have some non-anime DVDs on the bottom of the fourth picture (darn Star Wars, cramping my anime style Razz).

And I must thank Anime News Network for being such a great resource and helping me find so many great deals Anime smile!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3