• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Revengers (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Tokyo Revengers (TV)
Season 02: Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown (TV)
Season 03: Tokyo Revengers: Tenjiku Arc (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 31 volumes, by Ken Wakui)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Liden Films

Genres: action, drama, science fiction, thriller

Themes: gangs, school

Plot Summary: Watching the news, Takemichi Hanagaki learns that his girlfriend from way back in middle school, Hinata Tachibana, has died. The only girlfriend he ever had was just killed by a villainous group known as the Tokyo Manji Gang. He lives in a crappy apartment with thin walls, and his six-years-younger boss treats him like an idiot.

At the height of his rock-bottom life, he suddenly time-leaps twelve years back to his middle school days. To save Hinata, and change the life he spent running away, hopeless part-timer Takemichi must aim for the top of Kanto's most sinister delinquent gang.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 10, 2021 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: January 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Disney+, Hulu

Season 03: October 3, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Disney+

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 24 episodes
Season 02: 13 episodes
Season 03: 13 episodes

Total: 50 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote
1:

Back to the Future, huh.

I'm intrigued. Way more intrigued than I thought I would be. The premise is clichéd: "if you can go back in time and change anything, what would you do?". How many times have we heard that one? For the first half of the episode, I was thinking "oh, it's that kind of show". Not bad; I actually enjoyed the show's shounen presentation style.

The part where things get really interesting is how it's not just about going back in time. It's about going back and forth in time. So now, our hero Takemichi is going to prevent the death of his ex-girlfriend by teaming up with her brother whom he saved for his first time leap to the past.

This show can go in several directions:

1) Take the Steins;Gate route: Takemichi will find out who stupid-hard it is to change fate because of Divergence and whatnot.
2) Take the ERASED route: Takemichi will play detective and find the root cause for Hinata's death, thereby preventing it.

Notice that both shows are essentially the same. The difference is in the emphasis: Steins;Gate is about learning things the hard way with BAD ENDINGS, whereas ERASED is about detective work. I'm not sure which route this show will take, but I guess it's the ERASED one. Only because we have Naoto who is a police officer so our hero is going to be playing detective work.

I'm not sure if this show is going to explore how the time travel works. I don't feel like this show is about the mechanics of time travel; it's just there as the main plot device. Maybe God is just bored, I dunno.

Either way, I'm genuinely curious. I will stick around.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:00 am Reply with quote
2:

WAIT, HOLD ON A SEC...

spoiler[If Takemichi's only trigger to travel back in time is to have a handshake with Naoto (basically: physical contact), then was it Naoto who pushed him onto the tracks? What an asshole. And why would he do that? To trigger Takemichi's time leap? But he couldn't have known about his ability yet. WTF is going on!?]

Gang rule #1: you don't ask for the head honcho right from the start. That's suicidal. In a fiercely hierarchical organization, either you're a moron or have balls of steel to ask to meet him. So there you go: Takemichi learned it the hard way.

But I imagine that I will eventually like him. He has heart. A coward at first, but when he decides to pick on a fight with his boss, then I know what kind of character he's going to be. The show's not going to exploit his patheticness, like some other shows I've seen. It genuinely wants to develop him into a big man. I like that.

This is going to be fun.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:22 am Reply with quote
3:

Ah I see.

Mikey. We've seen characters like him many times before. Delinquent but with a good heart. The key trait we've looking at for Mikey: he has principles. In other words, even if you're a delinquent, there are some things you should never do, like never hitting a woman or holding fight clubs. He saw how Takemichi has a lot of heart, and he admires that. A familiar development.

But you know the other cliché about this narrative? Such a leader is also bound to be usurped. He wants a new generation of delinquents, one with values and principles that harkens back to those of the yesteryears. Enter Kisaki Tetta, who probably doesn't see it that way. I bet there's a internal power struggle within the gang somewhere down the road. Either that, or the rise of factions.

Yeah, a familiar storyline.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
4:

This show just had to have a naive dumbass for a protagonist. If Takemichi were more like Naoto, this case could be solved much faster with less surprises.

Because let's be real: twelve years elapse between the present and the time Takemichi can leap back to. So basically, the present can be changed at anytime depending on what happens after Takemichi comes back to it (this time, for an apparently derp reason). Akkun didn't kill Kiyomasa since Takemichi changed it by confronting him head-on, right? WRONG. Akkun ended up killing Kiyomasa possibly because Takemichi changed history.

For us to understand this show, we must assume that this show doesn't take the volative approach in time travel i.e. one small change in history = colossal changes in the present/future (read: Steins;Gate). Here, time travel is less volatile: one small change = one small difference (read: ERASED). Prevent this from happening, and something won't happen in the present.

But here's the important part: CONSEQUENCES. Takemichi never realized that his action has consequences (he's too simple to know) so even if his good actions will supposedly change the present for the better, it also opens up to unintended results. Chances, Akkun wouldn't have been Kisaki's foot soldier had Takemichi not challenged Kiyomasa (can't blame him for doing that, but I can blame him for not foreseeing this possibility).

So yeah, Mikey's No. 2 died probably because of Kisaki. It's common when people lose their shit when someone close dies. So no, Takemichi isn't gonna change the past the easy way: he has to do it the hard way by not saving just Hina, but saving everyone. Systemic change > small change. Makes perfect sense.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
5:

Ah.

So when present-day Takamichi goes back in time, his present-day body goes into comatose. But when he goes back to the future, past-day Takemichi just reverts back to his old ways. Now that makes sense. Would be terribly weird if Hina sees Takemichi just collapse for a few days whenever he goes back to the present.

So basically Mikey went ballistic after Draken died. I imagine that this is where Tetta comes in and speaks to Mikey's darker side, turning Toman into an evil organization. But the Mikey VS Draken faction? I suspect it might have something to do with Emma and Draken's code of honor. How exactly did it cause the strife? Well let's see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if his past self personality might change for the worst, maybe confused by what happens in that time, if he agreed to the girlfriend's stuff and ignoring his own. Wondering if he maybe should leave notes to give something for his past self to go by.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wondering if he maybe should leave notes to give something for his past self to go by.

That can't happen, and he knows why:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Past Takemichi is a real problem, story-wise. We've just been told that PT has no memory of when Future Takemichi takes over. So how is PT dealing with 2-week memory loss? How's he dealing with the changes that FT brings about in the past? Like suddenly Mikey and Draken are his pals. If Hina can pick up on his differences in personality when FT is on the scene, then surely others can, too. Especially since PT has no memory of how these changes come about.

And come to think of it, how does Comatose Takemichi deal with his issues? How is he eating and drinking? Using the washroom? Not getting bed sores?

Oh and I have a question for anybody who understands Japanese. We find out that not only was Pah's buddy beaten, robbed and had his girlfriend raped in front of him, but the other gang also "...hung his parents and siblings up later." I'm assuming this is just an awkward translation? Presumably they didn't literally hang his parents and siblings. Perhaps harassed them in some way?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
6:

Okay, I will give credit to Takamichi for proactively going back to the present to find out more about Moebius and try to prevent the gang war from happening. But I'm still peeved at him for not being thorough with his detective-work attempt.

He learned that the gang war was apparently orchestrated by "someone" (*coughKettacough*), Osanai took the fall, and Draken's death triggered Mikey/Toman's transformation. Yet it never occurred to him that that "someone" is very likely to be Ketta himself. Now it's as though he's completely forgotten about him.

Look, I know he's dumb. He know he's dumb. But when Ketta's name is one of the first being thrown out there by Naoto, and he's also second leader of the current Toman, you would think that it can't be any more obvious. I know it's obvious to me as an audience, and that this show isn't exploring other messy possibilities that come with time travel, but Takemichi should've at least suspected that Ketta is implicated in all this only there's no reason not to suspect him.

Think, Takemichi!
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
7:

Interesting turn of events.

So technically the past did change; we just don't really know how. But it came with unintended consequences: Draken didn't die, but the Toman split still took place. Correction: it's still about to take place.

So simply put, this is what I interpret happened: the better outcome took place. Rather than getting the worst outcome (Draken dying), we got the better outcome (Pah doing time). A small price to pay for changing the future for the better. But Takemichi still has work to do because we're still on the precipice of Mikey and Draken splitting up.

But guess what? This is also the better outcome. Rather than them forming their own factions and go their separate ways, it's better for them to just let steam out on each other head-on with Takemichi as the mediator (referee?). I'm not sure what the consequence is for the present for having Draken alive, but for the sake of the story, it's probably not good. At least we have to think that for now. And now I'm not sure where Emma fits in the plot. Maybe just a side character for now.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
8:

That was easy.

NOT! Consequences, Takamichi. You didn't prevent everything; you prevented one thing! You stop one thing, and something else again. But he's not that dense to fail to see that at this point. Shithead to the rescue!

When is Ketta coming into the picture?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
9:

Greeeat, Takamichi changed history. "Changed", not "fixed". At this rate, I'm not even sure if or how Ketta is involved in all this. The show's reluctant to show him, and if history has changed so much, maybe he's not even in the picture.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
10:

Preeetty sure I'm looking at the infamous Sakuragi Legion from Slam Dunk.

Even if Takemichi is sloppy in getting something done, he's got guts. You have to give credit to anyone who's got guts. I said before that he has heart. Still got it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote
11:

Huh. How exactly did Naoto know that Takemichi succeeded? Because his sister Hina is still alive? How did that happen in the current timeline? One day she was dead, and the next he learns she's still alive?

Apparently there are 24 episodes in total for this show/season one, so let's just say Mission Save the Future didn't work out completely. We still haven't seen Tetta (almost at all) in the past and I still think he has something to do with what eventually happened in the current timeline. Now there's another gang in the works...and it also has a Western name! (why all the English names like Moebius and Valhalla, though) so clearly the current timeline isn't exactly all's well.

Don't be celebrating too early, Take-boy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3