• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Revengers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
12:

I'm struggling to understand Takemichi's train of thought.

Coming back to the present after finally "fixing" the past, Takemichi learns that Hina is alive and gets to meet her. But then he gets cold feet. Reason? "Hina broke up with me because she hates me."

If I were him, the first thing that would come to mind is "...why did we break up? She confessed me and all that twelve years ago. WTF happened?". See, Takemichi isn't bright. We know that. He knows that. But he's not fully aware that he's not bright. Rather than telling himself "you know, twelve years is a long time and I have no idea what happened since I changed the past, so I'll go and find out", he just jumps to some conclusion.

And the part that drives me up the wall... he chickens out on her, which eventually got her killed. Okay fine, in the grand scheme of things, that chain of events is irrelevant; in this current timeline, she's meant to die. Even if he didn't chicken out, she would've died anyway. In the big picture, the past has changed but it's not fixed. Takemichi prevented one event but he didn't really fix anything. He's still got a lot of work to do.

A side thought: this is probably way too foresighted for Takemichi, but the most important person―the one that must not die in the present, under any circumstance―isn't Hina. It's Naoto. Takemichi can't do anything if he dies. Maybe he should realize this, although I doubt it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
She was in the driver's seat, right? Shouldn't airbags have gone off or something?

He is rather thick with things. In general the show kind of works through rather convenient time travel mechanics, that just kind of happen, and a main character that doesn't really get it anyway.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She was in the driver's seat, right? Shouldn't airbags have gone off or something?

Psst, don't ruin the fun!

Srsly tho, the show habitually commits glaring plot holes, so I also habitually switch off whenever I see stuff like this.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
13:

/me banging my head against the wall when Takemichi wasted so much time during his visit with Draken

It's actually interesting how one's most bitter enemy can be their once-most ardent follower. Treacherous betrayal―or the perception of it―is a legitimate strong driver for wanting to see the downfall of your former idol.

Something tells me that the new captain for the third division is Kisaki himself.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
14:

ACxS wrote:
Something tells me that the new captain for the third division is Kisaki himself.

Utterly predictable.

Takemichi took that long to recognise Kisaki. I assumed that he would've seen what Kisaki looks like in the current timeline, so it shouldn't be that difficult to recognise him when he spots him, even if it's twelve years in the past. Hurr, never gonna be easy for someone like Takemichi.

The interesting part is theorizing what happened within Toman. Kisaki is bad news but how exactly? To me, not only is he influential, but what makes him dangerous is that he's a rat. A Moebius member who joined Toman so that he can take on the bigger threat Valhalla? I understand that enemies can become allies but in a gang where loyalty is paramount, a guy like Kisaki is actually the worst kind you can take in because loyalty is the last thing you can expect from him. Rats are self-interested and loyalty isn't something they believe in, but of course Mikey kinda knows that. Nevertheless, he acknowledges how much of an asset he is, even if he's dealing with a dangerous card, and he needs any help he can get when's dealing with the bigger threat Valhalla.

Now on to my next theory. It is said that Kisaki idolized Mikey. I don't think he adored him or anything; he idolized Mikey's power. My theory: Kisaki has always wanted Mikey's downfall because he wants his power. By siding with him in Toman, he's making it easier to tear him down. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer", right? Wouldn't this be obvious, when Hanma eventually seemed to be working for Kisaki twelve years later? Kisaki's just plotting his path to power.

So about Baji, why did he leave Toman despite being a founding member? My impression is, he doesn't see eye to eye with Mikey on what he has done. Mikey is being pragmatic and wants to expand for the survival of his gang, but that means taking in people who doesn't necessarily believe in his ideals, and even former enemies. "It's just business", if you ask Mikey. This doesn't bode well with Baji, a warhead with probably a pure heart. The only problem with my impression is the inclusion of Kazutora; I don't know what his role is in influencing Baji's decision yet.

So now the game plan is simply this: Takemichi has to bring Baji back (to possibly assume the role of 3rd Division captain), or else Kisaki's keeping the post. Mikey is only taking Kisaki in for the sake for the gang. That's going to be the crux of the second arc.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I would honestly be surprised if Takemichi did anything intelligent, rather than dumb luck, Draken even gave a moment that Takemichi could have stood up and express a problem with Kisaki. I suppose that Takemichi has no idea of piecing together that Kisaki manipulated the previous internal problems. Instead Takemichi made a big scene in just punching him, which will maybe just play out through that dumb luck.

I have been having the increased problems since he started thinking he was hot shit and really just embarrassing. Despite the sort of foresight he should have an adult, he has self awareness, and still thinks playing delinquent makes him cool, when the future would probably lead him either into that sort of coward he is embarrassed he became in behind others, or a criminal that he knows can destroy lives.

Maybe late for saying it, but I do struggle to see how these people who are bullies and thugs are supposed to be cool.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
15:

The timeline is making it so easy for Takemichi.

Takemichi: "I need to know who the leader of Toman is--"
Timeline: "Not to worry, we're making you his bestie!"

"I need to know what Valhalla is and get Baji out of there--"
"Way ahead of you; we're sending you an invite straight to their HQ!"

But Takemichi, ohhhhhhhh Takemichi.

His thought process: "This shit is scary, but if this means I get to see Baji, I'd get a chance to get him out of there--"
My thought process: "Why dafuq is the enemy of Toman inviting me to their base?"

Apparently, there's a sense of betrayal within Toman's founding members. My theory may not stand anymore at this point, so I'm interested to know what it is. As for Kisaki, he operates more like a merchant. Still a rat with no sense of loyalty, but that's exactly what a merchant would do: switch sides if that brings more benefit to himself. Just business.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
16:

Uh huh...

I'm not sure if I can swallow this. Baji and Kazutora f**cked up and they're pinning the blame on Mikey? No, this can't be the end of it; something else's gotta give. I understand the circumstances behind Kazutora's traumatic but it's a big leap of logic. But even if we accept this "guilt trip"―fine, let's just go with it―what's Baji's problem with Mikey then? This doesn't make sense.

I know there's more to this. Probably it's how Mikey chose not to bail Kazutora and Baji out of jail, and they felt betrayed by this. Yeah, it's Pah-chin's story all over again, right. But clearly, the crux behind all this is Baji and Kazutora's cripping guilt.

This is starting to become a "IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT" story.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
17:

*WHEW*, that was a relief.

I was this close to losing it when it's revealed that Kazutora killed Mikey's brother, lost his marbles over it, and Baji was wracked with guilt. And that's it. Nothing else. Makes PERFECT sense!

Baji: "That's why I decided to join Valhalla."
Takemichi: "I see. Damn, how the hell am I going to bring Baji back to Toman...?"

Meanwhile... if I were Takemichi: "WTF."

But no. Of course that's not all. There's more to it: Baji is apparently trying to be a mole inside Valhalla to find out what Kisaki is up to from enemy ground. Am I surprised that Kisaki's behind all this? PFFT NO. Worst kept secret I'm ever come across. Doesn't take a genius to figure that he orchestrated the whole gang turf and going things done without lifting a finger. Kazutora... well him, I don't quite get. I think he really lost his marbles and blame Mikey for making him kill, well, his own brother (yeah, let's roll with that. Don't ask). But the good thing is, that provides a good cover for Baji for wanting to join Valhalla.

So you know what? I'm going to do the one thing I enjoyed the most out of this show: to shit on Takemichi once again...

INDEED, a dumbass. But no, it's not a compliment.

Homeboy never saw the illogical behind Baji's decision to join Valhalla. It doesn't add up, but hey, Takemichi doesn't know how to add up. Next, he didn't even recognize the guy that Baji beat up. Really? I know the room was dark and maybe half his face was covered up, but at least you'd ask yourself if it's someone you've come across.

So it came as a surprise that Takemichi was smart enough to go back to the present to confirm the identity of the Headless Angel. Instead of just assuming that it's Kisaki, which was intuitive but eventually disastrous. So okay, he gets one brownie point for this.

Ultimately, Kisaki is a rat who gets things done by letting others do the dirty work. Yeah, exactly what I thought he is. His plan to be Toman's No. 2 was ruined, so his next plan is to pitch Valhalla and Toman together, where Mikey kills Kazutora. Mikey becomes the Headless Angel leading Valhalla, which annexes Toman eventually, thereby becoming the ultimate villain. And then Kisaki can tear him down from the sidelines and become the hero and the overall leader of Valhalla and Toman altogether. The perfect master plan.

Now we simply pray that Dumbass Takemichi is able to... you know, add this up.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
18:

We were suggested that Baji, being the Chaotic Good that he seems to be, is infiltrating Valhalla to expose Kisaki's plans. After the meeting at the overhead bridge, maybe there's something else at work. The focus now lies on Kazutora, in particular the relationship between him and Baji. Is Baji entering Valhalla to save Kazutora, not Mikey? Are still both guilt-ridden by what happened two years ago? That Kazutora is still in denial and Baji wants to be the one to tell him "it's not your fault"?

Mikey's outburst of not wanting to fight Baji may seem weird and history-changing, but technically it's not. According to the timeline, Kazutora's still killing Baji and Mikey will kill Kazutora in response. Hence, the history-changing event hasn't happened yet. It happened once in the first arc when Takemichi managed to get help for Draken and have his own friends come to help them. What is it going to be for this arc?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
19:

Uh huh.

So Kazutora basically lost his marbles and began rambling because his bad childhood taught him some guilt-ridden, twisted form of us-versus-them. So it really is a "IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT" trope. Figures.

Now where's our homeboy Baji? And Kisaki? Yeah, it's not a coincidence that they're both missing in action.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:46 am Reply with quote
20:

It's always the case for Takemichi, isn't it: one step forward, two steps back. Takemichi makes a rather sharp observation when he saw and realized that Mikey's masked attacker is one of Kisaki's cronies and learned how it's all a ploy. Even I never noticed who the attacker was, and Takemichi did this right in the middle of a gang fight. That's incredible, more so for someone like him...

...and yet, after seeing the chain of events―if Kazutora doesn't kill Baji, then Mikey won't kill Kazutora, and the future is fixed―he... kinda lost focus. Amazingly acute at one point, then back to clueless at the next. So apparently Kisaki's the one screwing with Kazutora's head, and Baji is your classic Chaotic Good who wants to fix things his own way. But I'm not faulting Takemichi for not knowing this one; it's probably way over his head, at this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:22 am Reply with quote
Did Takemichi even have a plan? He makes big promises, but he never seems to enter a situation with any degree of making precautions to undermine the plans of someone else. Has he actually tried to point it out that the strings are all being pulled by the same guy?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, all Baji had to do was fall forward.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
To be frank, all Takemichi does for the whole show is: 1) set a goal, 2) wing it, and 3) take beatings, and yell and cry a lot. Planning is never his mission, although he can do some rudimentary detective work. He operates on instincts for the bulk of the show, tbh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3