• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Detective Is Already Dead (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote

(The) Detective Is Already Dead (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, mystery, romance

Plot Summary: Kimihiko Kimizuka has always been a magnet for trouble and intrigue. For as long as he can remember, he’s been stumbling across murder scenes or receiving mysterious attaché cases to transport. When he met Siesta, a brilliant detective fighting a secret war against an organization of pseudohumans, he couldn’t resist the call to become her assistant and join her on an epic journey across the world. Until a year ago, that is. Now he’s returned to a life that is normal and tepid by comparison, knowing the adventure must be over. After all, the detective is already dead.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the light novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
1:

That was... unusual.

I know the main appeal of the show. It's not the detective work. Surprisingly. The detective work is actually secondary to the actual main appeal: the odd couple. Boke-tsukkomi, but a deadpan instead of a boke. And the witty dialogue that comes with it. I can think of a few shows that thrived on this kind of appeal: Bunny Senpai, the -monogatari series, Katanagatari (to some extent). The most relevant and recent example? In/Spectre.

But here's the thing: the humor that comes from the witty dialogue? It's horribly flat. Flat as a runaway. For this dynamic to work, the characters can't be too dull. Kotoko in In/Spectre was childish. Mai in Senpai was standoffish. Siesta... she's just flat. Personality is required for something like this to happen. Both Siesta and Kimi―man, the Kimi joke got old quick―have zero personality so I got bored of their one-two conversation quick.

I'm really on the fence for this one.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:37 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
1:
Siesta... she's just flat. Personality is required for something like this to happen. Both Siesta and Kimi―man, the Kimi joke got old quick―have zero personality so I got bored of their one-two conversation quick.

I'm really on the fence for this one.

Siesta's already dead, did you miss the epilogue?
This was Kimi during his middle school years, next time we'll catch back up to him in high school with girl #2 from the credits.

Do I think Siesta is really dead? No, I think she's just sleeping and having the title in Spanish at the end was something of a giveaway... "because when they see Esta, they sleep" as Mr Peabody would say. Regardless, the whole show reminded me of this short manga series about a girl detective who had the ability to talk to animals for one chapter, a rom com 100%, but then she was dead the next and the real series was about her "Watsons" coming to terms with her accidental death.... from falling out of a tree and being hit by a truck. Did I mention she was chasing a cat at the time? So what this show is really about is still up in the air at this point.

I have questions and that's a good starting point for getting my interest. And the idea of 7 detective tools? She's a Secret Agent, not a detective. Wait, no, she's more like Batman.
Ah. "The World's Greatest Detective is already dead." I'm in.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Siesta's already dead, did you miss the epilogue?
This was Kimi during his middle school years, next time we'll catch back up to him in high school with girl #2 from the credits.

I didn't miss the epilogue. She's dead, sure. But I was still bored by their dynamics even before it's revealed that she's dead. Dead in a physical sense? Maybe, if that's what Kimi really means/thinks. "Dead" in terms of personality? Kinda, that's what I meant by "flat".
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
2:

Going to drop this one too.

Once again, this is not a bad show per se. Interesting premise. It's just that I don't think I will enjoy my time watching it. As I mentioned before, it has the same style as -monogatari series and Bunny Senpai. A harem-like theme at first glance―because it's the "one guy surrounded by many guys" setup―but not harem in genre per se (you know what I mean). Add the detective work plot device to tie up the girls with Kimi.

I just think that it would feel like a chore for me to watch this, because of how flat the characters are. Shows like this thrive on wittiness, which thrive on personality and chemistry. Witty dialogue borne by characters with idiosyncrasies, and rapid one-two interaction. That's how it works for -monogatari and Bunny Senpai. Here, it's just flat. Any attempt to be witty just feels flat. If everything just falls flat, it's going feel dull for me for the rest of the show.

I can predict that, for the rest of the show, it's going to be Kimi solving cases for people, and these people all happen to be girls who are attracted to him one way or another. Not sure if Siesta's whole global espionage/detective work to save the world seems over-the-top if it's just about Kimi solving seemingly low-key cases instead, but I wouldn't be that interested to know anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
The mystery of the second episode was kind of obvious, who's heart it belonged to. And the end of the episode seems to maybe be priming that the girl with an eyepatch might have had an eye transplant from her too. Would it be something as ridiculous as a harem of girls that all had a transplant from him? The girls needing a Watson to help their own cases.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The mystery of the second episode was kind of obvious, who's heart it belonged to. And the end of the episode seems to maybe be priming that the girl with an eyepatch might have had an eye transplant from her too. Would it be something as ridiculous as a harem of girls that all had a transplant from him? The girls needing a Watson to help their own cases.

Why is this beginning to sound like that movie Seven Pounds?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
The same heart means it's the same heart, what that means in a world where a guy can have a cybernetic tentacle attached to his head and this thing functions as an ear is anyone's guess at this point.... though "cloning" immediately comes to mind.

And DP, it wasn't a mystery because everyone knew the answer already but neither Kimi or Nagi wanted to admit it.

I really didn't like Bunny Girl Sempai as that one started with building its core relationship too strong and then expected the audience to play along with all the other girls came along- and the same thing happened in Bakemonogatari come to think of it. This show is different.

We're giving the relationship introduction but are then told it ended with much finality a few years later and we're not explicitly told how it developed; Their bond deepened and that's the end of it. Now Nagi shows up with Siesta's heart, not as a replacement but more of a continuation. Will the plot be taking Siesta apart piece by piece and sticking them in new girls? 1 That's the ending of... spoiler but it's a common manga series that was animated by SHAFT... and 2, the new girl reminds me more of a chuumbiyo character than "I have a new eye which I have to hide from the world because it has great power"... which is also a chuunbiyo story.

Ah.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Eh.....it is very similar to In/Spectre....but I like that series more. I agree the characters are flat here. And I don't like big time skips or changing up potential romantic interests from episode to episode...that just really annoys me. I was going in thinking she was just a ghost the MC teams up with. But no. That'll teach me not to watch stuff without reading the synopsis lol. Dropping it. I don't dig shows that do this kind of thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

In regards to the twist of the second episode, it ended up playing a pretty large part of the narrative, where it turned out the whole heart ownership things was not normal. The pieces kind of came together when we learn that child character Alicia, is really the heart stealing bandit in the middle part of the series in the past, without really knowing it. It shouldn't have been too much of a stretch to see that Nagisa was the same entity, body, who had taken Siesta's heart, who created the new personality.

Pretty much, the plot is bananas, and a bananas plot with such outlandish elements that you really can't see coming, don't tend to make good detective stories. The series itself I think tries to tackle the question of whether Siesta is really a detective, since in practice she is more of secret agent, which I think was trying to make some statement about the deal with a detective is a client and Siesta sees humanity as her client. I don't think it really justified itself well that way. A lot of the bananas plot really does feel like something some kid made up or imagined in his head, rather than really making sense world building, which I still don't know what to make of it. In the last episode a giant chameleon man turned into a T-rex.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10) I didn't really lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1