• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, science fiction
Themes: school, sports

Plot Summary: Aspiring athletes from around the galaxy gather to compete in a tournament where the winner will be crowned the Cosmic Beauty. What begins as rivalry grows into friendship among the athletes, including a lunar refugee and her kangaroo companion, the daughter of an arms-dealing CEO, a mysterious loner, and Earth’s representative…a humble potato farmer named Kanata Akehoshi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought about skipping this one as I vaguely remember watching the Battle Athletes OAV and Battle Athletes Victory and couldn't imagine WHY this anime got more made of it.
I did give this episode a try and it's safe to say it makes less sense perhaps than the first ones from 20 years ago. Honestly if I'd have had the amount of anime accessible to me back then as I do today I probably would have skipped them.

I am uncertain if I'll go farther in this show, it really depends what kind of time I have with everything else, this show is not going to be good probably, it didn't have a good start, and it's giving me every expectation that that will continue, just little explanations as to what or why things are happening, but here is a weird intergalactic race to watch! Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I am not familiar with the original, but for some reason watching the first episode kept making me think of an anime from a few years back called Time Travel Girl, and I can't figure out why, since there is not really anything in common. I thought the idea of an athlete with a prosthetic was interesting, and how she is adamant of not being pitied.

I am curious, for some reason.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
I love the original TV series when I first saw it way back in the early DVD days and still love when I bought its LONG overdue collection. The franchise was initially a video game that had two anime adaptations with differing degrees of quality and completion and Restart is unquestionable a continuation of the complete story/character arcs from the TV series.

What does that mean for Restart? I have no idea. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Wong family member as a hero. Part of me wants to comment on how this cast is a further generation of the previous cast but I think that's an intentional trap. Kanata Akehoshi looks like Akira, the lead from the previous series but everything else about her sounds more like Ichan. And then there's the idea that some of the characters do look like their earlier counterparts and some don't and then you realize certain spoilers of the original series and suddenly anything could mean anything.

See, I knew Kanata would jump from from the top of the mountain... because that's what Ichan would have done... but what threw me was that her opponent to get off Earth and get to University Satellite was Oldman, and Grant Oldman was the previous headmaster of US and who... spoiler.
Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler. Let's just say the name is quite literal and every choice he made was very deliberate. Also spoiler[Oldman wasn't human, he was an alien so... yeah.].

Also... so there hasn't been a Cosmo Beauty since Akira and the previous one, Tomoe Midou, her mother? That makes sense, given PLOT PLOT PLOT. They're just restarting it now that both of them are dead? That's worrisome because of that running thing the show starts on. The previous show itself never fully explained what happened BUT spoiler[only Tomoe could teach Akira herself how to tap into the speedforce yet she died before she could teach her daughter the technique.].

So, to sum up... I have no idea why this random show gets such a loving sequel decades later or what anyone could get out of it that doesn't know the original Kurata/Kuroda show inside and out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Perhaps a bit random, but did anyone else think that the plush toy that appeared a bit in this episode looked a bit like the witch Charlotte from Madoka Magica? A white face with one ear blue and the other red, rainbow eyes and a pointed nose with a star or flower shape on the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I had to look at images to confirm that revealing features of Kanata's grandmother were meant to imply that this series was actually a sequel to the original series, the grandmother probably the protagonist then. I guess that they tied up all loose ends, even if the actual sports part did not feel that suspenseful, upending the villains was okay. I kept thinking that they must have plenty of evidence to stop them already, and did not need to have Kanata race against a recently cloned super human that they could stop by just having the original reveal herself.

The series really was not good. If there is one surprising aspect it would be the idea that this was actually a show released in 2021, because most general parts of it feel like at least a decade old. The only real sensible take away is that this show wanted to feel retro, even doing things like the bad jokes and gags that are ancient in anime terms, but I can't really tell what the point of that is. I don't think the show really did anything like a statement on older anime, and I think that there were better ways try and catch the charm of an older series while appealing to new audiences.

For an example of something that caught my eye, the series had this one joke of a villain that vaguely looked like a gorilla, and the show would keep doing this thing like giving him a banana, or literally make ape noises has drummed his chest. It was stupid, and lacked any subtlety that actually could have made it an interesting gag, which in truth was probably true for all the villains. Nothing about them was fun to watch, rather than awfully written villains that would have me tune out as soon as they were on screen like I was watching white noise. My rating is Weak (3/10), that perhaps could have earned higher points if it actually was from the past to be along the lines of a step stone in anime, but coming out in 2021 I wish that I did something better with my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1