• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Main Series - That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV) (discussed here)
This Spinoff - (The) Slime Diaries: That That I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV)

Genres: fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Even in another world, lives aren't always on the line. There's plenty of work to be done, from feeding the community and forging the items the community needs; as well as plenty of play …and hijinks throughout! Join Rimuru and friends as they kick back and enjoy their daily lives. (From Preview Guide)
----------------------------------

I haven't seen the main series, yet. But here's a separate thread for the spinoff.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Looks like the show is over, this being a sort of slice of life spin-off between the more serious show. By that nature it did not really have much excitement or status-quo breaking, although maybe had a couple interesting moments that did foreshadowing for major changes late in the previous season. But a bit of light hearted stuff can be fine.

As a sort of running thoughts, some of my negative thoughts run parallel to my problems with the show as a whole, like how the series did a thing where it made the monster characters more human and cute as they became stronger. It feeds a bit too much for my liking into being familiar pleasing rather than its sort of fantasy setting being taken advantage of. With this spinoff in particular, its slice of life was a lot familiar Japanese holidays and other seasonal events, that were a bit too just pasted in. If you are doing a fantasy slice-of-life you have the opportunity to create any sort of create its own versions of holidays with their own twists.

Maybe it tried adding its own twists, but generally it came in one of two flavours, either focusing around Rimuru as a slime iconography, or it was Rimuru trying to force a Japanese seasonal holiday into the setting and people being a bit confused. Everything else generally felt mostly just Japanese, which just felt like missed opportunities for a fantasy setting. As much as kind of funny that Milim wanting to catch Santa after hearing about him, it is a missed opportunity to not have something unique to the setting.

I would be remis not to mention Rimuru's androgynous nature, but also that despite that he generally expresses that he wants to be seen as male, so it is a little uncomfortable when he expresses being uncomfortable being tricked or forced into women clothing. A gender/sex queer character at all is not bad, but not good when it is played up as some sort of comedy in being forced to present a way they don't want to.

It did have some cute moments, and some that were maybe a bit too cute when the main series was just doing pretty much genocide. Anyway, my rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, it was nice to look at and maybe something destress with, but not exactly super interesting. As it was it was kind of a focus on some of the general jokes I did not care much for in the main series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1