• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disgaea dub.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Online it says that Etna for Disgaea 1 game was Kim Mai Guest (which I find odd as I don't think she sounds anything like how I imagine Etna should sound).

Haterater or anyone else who owns Disgaea 2, can you tell me who the game credits (in the game itself) is the VA for Etna in Disgaea 2? Is it Amanda Winn Lee (I suspect this since this is the name that was erroneously submitted as Etna's VA for the anime, which is now removed)? Amanda Winn Lee has more of a voice I could associate with an Etna.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Online it says that Etna for Disgaea 1 game was Kim Mai Guest (which I find odd as I don't think she sounds anything like how I imagine Etna should sound).

Where online did you find this? Both ANN and IMDB list Amanda Winn Lee as Etna for the first game.

Quote:
Haterater or anyone else who owns Disgaea 2, can you tell me who the game credits (in the game itself) is the VA for Etna in Disgaea 2? Is it Amanda Winn Lee (I suspect this since this is the name that was erroneously submitted as Etna's VA for the anime, which is now removed)? Amanda Winn Lee has more of a voice I could associate with an Etna.

Well, if you must know... None of the English voice cast is listed in the credits. Like Haterater said, Etna's voice in the anime is the same as in Disgaea 2 (Michelle Ruff).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I found that (incorrect) information at gamefaqs.com. Well, at least it all makes sense now. Smile I figured there's no way Kim Mai Guest would be Etna, stupid gamefaqs.

Thanks for clearing everything up, PantsGoblin and Haterater.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I finally listened to the Disgaea sub a little while ago. It's not bad but the dub is better. Laharl's sub voice doesn't really suit him. He sounds like almost every other adolescent anime boy which tends to follow a formula to some extent. Etna's voice is alright but could be better. Flonne's is really the only one that suits her. I tend to like voices that have a little originality. One reason I like Laharl's dub voice so much. His voice sounds unique and actually really cool. It suits his personality too: Bossy, loud, pissy.

And Haterater, I hope you like the dub. It's funny, I'll tell you that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cratoz101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
the dub disgaea show rocks espically the game i seen all of the disgaea episodes i cant wait for disgaea 2 show Very Happy
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
There's going to be a show for the second Disgaea game? When?

And yeah, I also like the dub. It put the Disgaea anime on my list of favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I also feel like the dub is better than the sub, but I also think that since I can't understand Japanese myself, I will always have a slightly lower appreciation and sensitivity to the quality of a sub (whether good or bad, I will not be able to tell as well) as opposed to a dub. So I'm generally reluctant to say a dub is better than the sub, even in this case.

But people who appreciate good dubs seem kind of rare so it is good that you guys are among those people. I still think there are too many anime fans who stubbornly insist that only subs are watchable and decent. I think that is an old-time concept that became common because most dubs used to suck 12 years ago, but that's no longer the case.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the way I see it, the Disgaea dub is like the Desert Punk dub. In ways that they both have above average subs but very well done dubs. Just like how Desert Punk's voice was pretty poor subbed(He didn't even sound like a male for God's sake) but in english, I loved his voice. Same can be said for Laharl. His voice sounds very much like every other adolesent anime boy in Japanese. But in english, his voice sounds original and unique. That's what I look for in voices: Originality.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that the Desert Punk dub is dirtier than the sub? Sorry for going off topic on that.
finalcloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
I like Disgaea anime.

It was so funny and weird sometime. But do you have Disgaea2 manga 1 and 2?

If you had it, can you tell me the next volume Disgaea2.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
It may not be one of the best game-based anime series, but it still has may funny moments. I do like the dub voice of Laharl and Flonne, and the Captain Gordon voice gives him the stereotypical Buck Rogers-like hero he think he is.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard the Disgaea anime dub, but if it's as good as the game's dub, then it must be fantastic!
finalcloud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I watch Disgaea video and played Disgaea games, but I am waiting for volume 3 of Disgaea 2 manga.

I got the volume 1 and 2 Disgaea 2!
Master Luc

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
I know it's been a while.

But, does anybody knows who voiced General Carter? His voice is not strange. I think I heard him somehwere.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Well is the voice cast is anything like Disgaea 3 games it's got to be good. I have only seen the trailer in English and it sounded fine but with out seeing it in it's total i could not say. The voice cast in English for the Disgaea 3 games rocks hard core!

I have not played games one and two yet. I also enjoyed the anime enough to go and find a copy of it to own.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
The Disgaea 3 voice acting is great. However, the thing that I don't like is the non-union project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4