• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Heike Story (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote

(The) Heike Story (TV)

Genres: drama, slice of life
Themes: historical, politics, superpowers

Plot Summary: After the tragic loss of her father, Biwa is adopted by the Taira clan where she meets Taira no Shigemori (the eldest son of Kiyomori, the leader of the Taira clan). Biwa has the ability to see the future through her right eye, while Shigemori can see the dead at night through his left eye. As Biwa adapts to living a more refined life, she begins to see flashes of the bloodshed, violence, and civil war that will become The Tale of Heike.

Sept 15, 2021 (Wednesdays; FUNimation)
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

Episode 01: If You Don't Belong to the Heike, You Won't Be a Person
Episode 02: The Glory of the Corrupt World is a Dream in a Dream
Episode 03: Shishigatani Incident
Episode 04

Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08

Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12

From director Naoko Yamada, who also did K-ON!, Sound! Euphonium, and (A) Silent Voice.

I'm always curious for historical pieces, as I find most of those depictions to be entertaining, yet fascinating, at the same time. Most of my Japanese history exposure is to the Meiji and Edo periods (through various anime and live-action films), so Heian is a nice change of pace.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode almost got my excitement out of control.
Can we hope that the rest of the series will not follow the canonical story? Will Biwa end turning into a supernatural being?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: If You Don't Belong to the Heike, You Won't Be a Person

Summary: (from Wikipedia) Biwa expresses disgust when the "kaburo boys" mistreat a local resident. When her father acts to protect her from punishment, they kill him. The Taira clan under Kiyomori has prospered, but he finds the situation boring. He unveils his plan to his heir, Shigemori to move to at Fukuhara, a day's journey from the capital, and build a torii and buildings at the sea at Itsukushima. He intends to create a harbor for large ships and increase their prosperity through sea trade.

Biwa gains entrance to the palace and encounters Shigemori in a garden where she tells him that the end of the Taira clan is near. He notices her differently colored eyes and believes that she can see the spirits of the dead as he can. She refuses to use her power to help him, however he accepts her into his household. Biwa meets (Shigemori's half sister) Lady Tokuko and is horrified when seeing a vision of her drowning at sea.

One day, (Shigemori's son) Sukemori rushes back from a hunt and rides past Lord Motofusa, Emperor Takakura's regent, and is beaten by them for his insolence. Rather than apologize, Kiyomori sends Rokuhara's warriors to punish them which leads to the beginning of Heike's problems.

Note: this is a slow series and will not be for everyone. It is an anime adaptation of the famous 13th century epic The Tale of Heike (Heike = the Taira clan, and it's them vs. the Minamoto clan for control of Japan). I, myself, am not familiar with the story and barely have any knowledge of the Heian period (794-1185), so unless you're curious about history or actually know the Tale, this series is probably not for you. But know that it's beautiful to look at and listen to if you're into old Japanese culture.

The approach to the character designs is very minimalist and reminiscent of the works of Masaaki Yuasa (studio Science Saru worked on a good number of his films and one TV series, Devilman Crybaby). They're not super-detailed in terms of overall features (unless it's a closeup of faces), but still create enough distinction between the major characters. And then the artistic tone shifts to a more surreal look during the prophetic storybook-esque montages.

Backgrounds, architecture, plants, and props have an, almost, textured pastel look to them. They're beautiful pictures you can even use as wallpapers just to stare at. The animation also has this kind of minimalism where the frame itself moves sparingly (barely any camera movement), but the people and objects within the frames move with such grace and subtlety. This is top-notch stuff for a TV show.

Sound-wise, the score by Kensuke Ushio is a mix of modern instruments and traditional biwa (Japanese lute) for the storytelling montages. The trance-like poetry of Biwa's (the character's) predictions of the future are hauntingly beautiful. I hope they put versions of those on the soundtrack.

For voice acting, we have two heavy hitters: Biwa played by Aoi Yuuki (Madoka from Madoka Magica), and Shigemori played by Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku from Code Geass, Rohan from Jojo's Pt. 4, Reigen from Mob Psycho, the guy's status is becoming legendary!). Both do wonderful jobs of understating their roles, but then breaking out some major emotions when the writing calls for it. I'm looking forward to how much their characters progress.

Thematically, I feel like this gonna' be one of those stories that tries to question the inevitability of fate. But in-between, I think it'll also try to convey some slice-of-life moments. At any rate, it'll at least be pretty to look at and listen to. I think this is best looking show of the season, so far (next to what Demon Slayer will probably look like).

Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I have all of the characters down, but this is probably the highlight of the season for me aside from Taisho Otome Fairy Tale and Sakugan. It's just so beautiful to watch and listen to, and Biwa is a great protagonist.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This episode #5 had and impressive amount of "wallpapers".
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: The Glory of the Corrupt World is a Dream in a Dream

Summary: (from Wikipedia) Shigemori dismisses the men who attacked Lord Motofusa and sends (his son) Sukemori to Ise to apologize for his disrespect, however (his father) Kiyomori is unrepentant for his impetuous actions. (His half sister) Tokuko explains to Biwa that Motofusa dislikes the Taira clan because her younger sister Moriko was married off into the Fujiwara clan and inherited the Fujiwara lands when her husband died soon after. Tokuko reveals that she is soon to be married off to Norihito, the young son of Emperor Go-Shirakawa.

The Shirabyoshi (female dancers), Lady Gio and her younger sister Lady Ginyo arrive at Kiyomori's request to keep her replacement, Hotoke-Gozen, company. Shigemori visits Emperor Go-Shirakawa and offers to resign, having his brother Munemori replace him. The emperor observes that although Kiyomori has entered the monastic life, he has not rejected involvement in worldly affairs.

Biwa takes a liking to Gio, but is saddened to find that she and her sister leave and become nuns to avoid being pawns of Kiyomori. Biwa is cheered, however, by a vision that in the future, Hotoke-Gozen joins them. later, when Tokuko leaves to marry Norihito, Biwa desperately tries to stop her, disturbed by her vision of Tokuko's death by drowning.

Comments: I have to admit, the amount of characters and all of the political happenings are a bit overwhelming. It seems like a mountain of information to keep track of after only two episodes. Thank goodness for Wikipedia having some short character bios on who's who, as well as some corresponding links to other relevant historical and cultural references. I think what I'll do for future episodes is focus on character and literary analyses, emotional themes, etc. particularly the ones surrounding Biwa, since she's the clear outlier element of the story.

A part of me wants to go and read the actual Tale of Heike so I can better understand the "plot," but I feel that'll spoil a lot of things and negate the technical mastery of the show. Despite the confusion, though, I'm still enjoying the understated style of storytelling.

My main take from the episode is the scene where Shigemori and Biwa are talking about what scares them. Shigemori says he's afraid of the dark because of his ability to see the dead at night. Likewise, Biwa says she's afraid of the future. But aside from their fears, Shigemori says the present moment that they're in is a beautiful one. And that's pretty much all we can do: live in the moment.

Some people will say "living in the moment" is cliche. But I feel a majority of people never remember to actually do it. We get so caught up in what we did and what we're about to do that it all keeps piling up and we forget to embrace what's right in front of us. By embracing the moment, it allows you to focus. And with enough focus, almost anything is possible. It's subtle, yet wholly invigorating. I am really starting to like this show a lot.

On a side note: it is really freakin' difficult to take screen caps, especially with a limit of 10 caps. The artistry is too good, even in the most mundane of scenes.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 03: Shishigatani Incident

Summary: (from Wikipedia, slightly modified) Shigemori sails with Biwa and his family to the Itsukushima shrine where (his father) Kiyomori has made his seat of power. On their return, Biwa meets (Shigemori's half sister) Tokuko who is yet to have a child, but Tokuko is unconcerned about it or the fact that (the emperor's son, whom she was to marry) Norihito appears to have taken a lover, Lady Kogo.

Meanwhile, Shigemori must deal with a matter involving the Enryakuji (monastery). Lord Morotsune of the Fujiwara who governs Kaga province with his brother, Lord Morotaka, demanded to use the bath at a temple affiliated with the Enryakuji. When they were refused, they burned the temple, and the Enryakuji head priest, Meiun, demands retribution. Their father, Lord Saiko, who serves the emperor, seeks leniency on their behalf, but thousands of Enryakuji warrior monks march on to the palace, and the emperor orders it to be forcefully defended. Many Enryakuji are slain and wounded, and their portable shrines desecrated. In retribution, the Enryakuji set fire to the court's estates, including that of Shigemori.

In administrator Shunkan's villa at Shishigatani, Lord Saiko suggests to the emperor that the Heike are becoming too powerful. He proposes an alliance with the Genji and other nobles and clans with grievances against the Heike. However, when (Shigemori's father) Kiyomori learns of the plot, he seizes Shukan and Saiko and prepares to march against the emperor. Shigemori pleads for his father to stop, as they owe their prosperity to the emperor, and Shigemori is faced with the dilemma of loyalty to the emperor and filial piety to his father.

Comments: Again, lots of events and political happenings. But there's something of a revelation for Biwa. I believe she realizes that she and the Taira clan have it great, up to that point. However, even with what she knows about the future, she's still trying to change things.

After the first episode, I made a hypothesis about how the show might try to battle the inevitability of fate. That concept has always struck me as paradoxical, because if you know the future (especially if it's gonna' be bad), why *wouldn't* you try to change it? Humans are creatures of habit; we like things a certain way, have preferred comfort zones, etc. And if something threatens to ruin that balance, we fight that something to maintain the peace and keep the good in our lives.

At one point, Shigemori tells Biwa not to interfere, then she replies her Pa said the same thing. By not interfering, her Pa was killed, and she lost the good in her life. Amidst losing her father, though, she found more good after living with the Taira clan. But now, that newly-found good is in jeopardy because Kiyomori is getting full of himself and wanting to go after the emperor, and Shigemori won't have it.

The more I think about it, the more I compare this to Mushishi. It (Heike) is very beautifully drawn and animated, has a great soundtrack, and is a mostly chill series. But amidst all the seemingly hard-to-follow drama and events, like Mushishi, the core of each episode (so far) still illustrates basic human emotions: the loss of good, living in the moment and embracing the present, rediscovering good after turmoil, then finding the will to maintain the good (and that's only 3 episodes in).

Mushishi is definitely more fantastical and allegorical since it's not based on an epic poem. But color me surprised that even for how chaotic Heike is, it still manages to get that Mushishi feel. So much subtlety in such chaos. That's brilliant composition, storytelling, and direction, right there.

Caps:

Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The way things happen and time moves so fast makes this feels like a dream.
Every episode wants to make me see more, and now Biwa left the Heike. Will this change the series? Now we'll only follow the story from the outside, just by the things Biwa hear people saying?
Again, just makes me want to watch more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1