• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Muv-Luv Alternative (TV)
Season 2 - Muv-Luv Alternative (TV)

Genres: action, drama, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military

Plot Summary: In 1973, the invasion of an extra terrestrial life form, the BETA, began a war that has driven mankind to the brink of extinction. In an attempt to counter the BETA's overwhelming strength in numbers, mankind has developed the humanoid weapons known as TSFs, deploying them on the front lines of their Anti-BETA War all across the globe. However, mankind still lost the majority of Eurasia to the superior numbers of the marching BETA. For nearly 30 years, mankind has remained bogged down in its struggle against the BETA with no hope in sight.

Season 1 - Crunchyroll
Season 2 - Oct. 5, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyoll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So... episode 1 sort of acts like a prelude to the story kind of like Total Eclipse's first two (three?) episodes and does the typical backstory development. It wasn't bad but it didn't really impact me as much Total Eclipse's episodes or Schwarzemarken's chocolate scene. I did like how it portrayed the BETA with how coordinated they are and how the Destroyer and Fortress classes navigate through water. The CGI didn't feel off and blends well with the 2D elements. I had braced myself for disappointment but it seems alright so far. Plus, the Crunchyroll stream is uncensored.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Today I read an ANN article from 2017 called "How to Get into Muv-Luv and was absolutely astonished that there is a connection between the Muv-luv franchise and Rumbling Hearts.

Anyway, yeah, it's a little hard to form an emotional response when you don't know the characters yet and the vibe is, "welp, we're getting our asses kicked and there's nothing we can do about it." But I enjoyed Total Eclipse and Schwarzes Marken so I imagine I'll end up liking this.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
It was pretty funny reading the comments section of Crunchyroll for this episode where some people were thinking that this was a mecha rip-off of Attack on Titan, not knowing that the Muv-Luv Alternative Visual Novel was actually released three years before the AoT manga even started! There was even one person that thought that it was ripping off Schwarzesmarken, though they may have only been sarcastic.

One thing for sure, this episode certainly satisfied my love of bleak and desperate situations filled with hopelessness and despair.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
One thing for sure, this episode certainly satisfied my love of bleak and desperate situations filled with hopelessness and despair.

Beltane70, you must be a blast at parties! Wink
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
And... I feel as if some fears have been affirmed with this second first episode. Without the context of Extra and Unlimited, it really hampered the "introduction" of the characters as well as the severity of the situation. Also it'll be confusing to those unfamiliar with the franchise what the Alternative plans are. I don't think the episode was particularly bad (it felt like a straight forward adaption so far) aside from so much telling instead of showing but it could be improved if the former two of the trilogy were adapted/animated...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1