• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Much?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I have just spent the last two hours thinking about why it seems so wrong to me for Anne Rice to be patron saint of vampire stories. Laughing I know, I should get a life. Laughing What I've come up with is:

1) I don't like her books. Her vamps are whiny, self-absorbed, woe-is-me, hand-wringing losers.

2) Kaname is regal, concerned with vampire-human interactions and using his power to effect change -- even if we don't know exactly what that is to be ultimately. The rest of the vamps are unapologetic blood imbibers.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Charlaine Harris, or Lynsay Sands seems to me to be a better fit for Vampire Knight patron. Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
So, OLady, how much of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles did you read before coming to that conclusion?
OLady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think I got through the first half of Interview before I gave up in disgust. Why? Does it get better, Rinmackie?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, since you dislike "emo" so much, Interview won't be your cup of tea. But the rest of the series, mostly centers on Lestat, who turned Louis, the vampire in "Interview". Now he is bad-ass, thought he does have some emo moments, especially when talks about when he was first turned. But for most of the series, he's pretty confident, up until the fifth book "Memnoch, the Devil" when he basically goes to Heaven and Hell, even meets Jesus! Afterwards, he has a spiritual crisis and becomes even too "emo" for my taste. This was about the time Anne Rice was reconnecting with her previously discarded Catholic roots. Though I thought "Memnoch" was awesome, she should have ended the series right there. Instead, she put out a few less-than-stellar books before realizing her newly rediscovered faith was interfering with her ability to write vampire novels and stopped writing them.
OLady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Rin, have you read any of Lynsay Sands' vampire romances? I would recommend Single White Vampire. Her website, www.LynsaySands.net, gives a chronology for her books since they were published out of order. They are funny, sexy and sweet. The part that links to VK is that they present a working vampire society that secretly interfaces with the human. But her vampires, while excruciatingly beautiful and immortal, are not out for world domination. Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, yeah, it's over.

Kinda broke my mind there for a bit but I think I managed to get it all straightened out.

spoiler[- Kaname becomes the new heart but Aido freezes his body for later revival.

- Aido also finds research notes on how to turn vampires into humans.

- Massive time skip, Yuuki and Zero were a couple for awhile until he died at some point.

- The furnace is eventually put out, allowing Kaname to come back. Yuuki uses her life to make him human. The end.

- Also she had a daughter by Kaname and a son by Zero.]

So... I guess everyone wins? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Does feel kinda rushed but it looks like spoiler[Kain/Ruka] happened so I can't complain.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So, uh, yeah, it's over.

Kinda broke my mind there for a bit but I think I managed to get it all straightened out.

spoiler[- Kaname becomes the new heart but Aido freezes his body for later revival.

- Aido also finds research notes on how to turn vampires into humans.

- Massive time skip, Yuuki and Zero were a couple for awhile until he died at some point.

- The furnace is eventually put out, allowing Kaname to come back. Yuuki uses her life to make him human. The end.

- Also she had a daughter by Kaname and a son by Zero.]

So... I guess everyone wins? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Does feel kinda rushed but it looks like spoiler[Kain/Ruka] happened so I can't complain.

I am pleased with the ending....BUT THE SHIPPERS ARE STILL BITCHING ABOUT IT.
It's really annoying. =_= The fandom is completely divided and people are either loving or hating the ending.
My only complaint is spoiler[not getting to see how Zero and Yuuki spent their 1000 years together.]
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was initially not that happy with the ending. But I've come to accept it. I really loved Vampire Knight until recently; the love triangle took up too much time in the story. The series started out strong but got weaker the longer it went out. Such a shame, it could have been way better.

I'm glad spoiler[ Yuuki and Zero ended up together but we didn't get to see any of it!] But Kaname had to spoil it again, spoiler[when Yuuki sacrificed herself to make him human.] So in the end, it seemed like it was all about him again, making it a hollow victory. Oh and there's a debate spoiler[about the children, some say one is Kaname's and the other's is Zero's but some say they're both Zero's kids.]

Zero was my favorite; I didn't like Kaname but he sorta redeemed himself in the end. The character I really ended up hating was Yuuki. I know she was supposed to be nothing more than the damsel-in-distress love interest but she had such potential in the beginning! Then once she hooked up with Kaname, she pretty much became really stupid and useless. But around Zero, she was almost a different girl, even Kaname took note of it in the last chapter! Of course, the last significant thing she did was spoiler[resurrect a man who should have stayed dead, in my opinion.]
Yugi12

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I loved the ending. I really hope that the anime gets a third season soon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Then once she hooked up with Kaname, she pretty much became really stupid and useless.

Lol, that's one reason the couple sucks so much. Anime hyper

Zero was also my favorite. <3 I hope Hino writes so ZeroxYuuki side stories for the final volume release. Anime smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Oh and there's a debate spoiler[about the children, some say one is Kaname's and the other's is Zero's but some say they're both Zero's kids.]

I think it's clear spoiler[the daughter is Kaname's. Kaname is refered to as the "other father."]

Also I guess Hino was forced to end the manga early due to low sales. While I'll agree part 2 was considerably weaker I don't think it deserved to have the plug pulled. I still have every intention of buying the rest of the english release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4