• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guys and Romance Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Something I have noticed over the last little while, which isn’t all that shocking until you think about it, guys hate romance anime! Shocking I know! But being a guy myself, I love romance based anime series, and some of the best series I have seen are romance based or have serious romantic undertones. But what I am wondering is if other guys are the same as me or are they completely against romance anime series, or is it simply a case of most guys like romance series, they just wont publicly say they do? Anyway this has been bugging me for a while so I thought I would ask.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Most guys I know who are anime fans aren't into shoujo, but a shounen or seinen romance they are willing to watch. A few of my friends are really into Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and another friend enjoys Rumbling Hearts. I also happen to know numerous people who are into Love Hina (although it's much more geared toward the ecchi and silliness than actual romance).

I'm the only male I know who will watch shoujo though. The art style can be acquired taste.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't have a problem with Romance titles, I normally don't watch them. I watch a lots of romantic comedy (Live action) when I am with my girlfriend/family members. So when I am watching anime I tend to watch series that aren't but if a series comes along and people say that it's good I will check it out. So to answer your question, I am not a fan, but I don't mind watching one every now and then. Just don't expect me to get run out and buy the next volume of boy loves.....or whatever.
pingieking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm not particularly into shojo, I have enjoyed quite a few romance anime. Series like Paradise Kiss, His and Her Circumstances, Honey and Clover, and some others (I'm sure I've seen more, just don't remember them) are all very good and both Paradise Kiss and Honey and Clover are on my top 10 list. I have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy Rumbling Hearts and Air, both of which I plan to watch during Feb.

Most of my male friends don't watch the one I just named, some of them calling those to be boring and slow. I consider a lot of the shows they watch to be boring because of repetitive fight scenes and the such.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with romance anime, except that I tend to have a much higher standard. The chances of me picking up a romance title to watch is the same as other type of anime, but when it comes to rating, shounen romance titles on average get a lower rating. I do like shoujo romance better than shounen romance, and I think it's because there's less identification with the main character.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
For me i'll watch anything as long as it has a good plot and can hold interest. Some romances are good at this while others are less than adequate. One of the latter, to me, would have to be Boys Be..., but that's just my opinion. What I really hate to watch though are the Shounen shows in which all they do is get in fights for no reason or do stupid stuff for no reason, you know, all action and no plot kind of anime. That being said...I hope I'm not the only guy who's watched Lamune (the game was definately aimed at guys, but the anime was a Slice of Life type of which most people aren't fans).

Oh yea...can't forget about the Yuri romance titles....I tend tolike those more than the rest

<3 Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama ga Miteru (though the latter is more like bonding between females while the former is more like BONDING (the emphasis is there for a very good reason) between females).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
Something I have noticed over the last little while, which isn’t all that shocking until you think about it, guys hate romance anime!

That's a broad assetion to make. For most male anime fans I know, it depends heavily on the type of romance it is (as others have already noted).

For me, it's more of a quality issue. I have no problem with watching a well-written romantic story (whether funny or serious) and have even come to like and admire certain ones. The ones that I don't like are the ones that are purely sappy, cutesy affairs and/or which have no real substance to them.

For instance, I am a big fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, but not because of the harem or fan service elements. I like it because Kaoru and Aoi make such a good couple and all the scenes focusing on the two of them are so well-handled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Key, I completely forgot about Ai Yori Aoshi and ~Enishi~, same reasons I liked them as well. And as you said, that was a very broad statement, for all we know most guys like romance but just hide it from all of their friends...probably because they aren't honest with themselves or feel uncomfortable, which of course is another broad statement but it's an example cause we don't know. Honestly, everyone has the ability to like anything, but how they're introduced to it and how the people around them react to it might affect how much they like it, which is why we end up with guys liking Shoujo and girls liking Shounen, it's all in their environment.
10円

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'm a guy and yet romantic anime are right up my alley. Cute anime as well. I don't exactly broadcast this fact though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I can see where a guys would stay away from the shojo type, because they would think that a shojo title is all girly and stuff like. But when you get down to it and actually watch on top of knowing about the story, you find that it's a good series. I personally think that shojo romances seem to do better than shonen or seinen romances, maybe it's just the elements contained within the storyline, or maybe it's just a woman's touch. To be honest I really can't give a good and true reason why I would think that way, it's just a feeling.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
And as you said, that was a very broad statement, for all we know most guys like romance but just hide it from all of their friends...probably because they aren't honest with themselves or feel uncomfortable, which of course is another broad statement but it's an example cause we don't know.

Real men like good romance stories and are proud to admit it.

As for myself, while I tend to stick to shoujo and josei in terms of manga, I like well-executed romance anime such as Koi Kaze, Oh My Goddess! OVA, and Revolutionary Girl Utena simply because the relationships are fascinating for one reason or another. I like stories that deal with relationships well because, honestly, human relationships can be quite interesting stuff, romance included.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
the main thing I get sick of is the usual set up many have: the guy is a complete idiot and the females seem to only be there to be walked in on while bathing and then beat up the guy. The most blatant example of this that I have seen is Love Hina, I can't count how many times I wanted to reach through the screen and give Keitaro a swift back-handing! Hidiki from Chobits is another big example of this, so much so that I gave up on that series. The lead males have no common sense and make the most stupid decisions ever. Even Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic would have received a few back-hands from me if I were able to do so. However, Sagara's situation is a little more understandable since he was a mercenary his whole life with no time being a citizen, but still, come on! I haven't seen too many (if any at all) of the more serious ones, though I am planning on checking out Rumbling Hearts and Paradise Kiss, so I can't say anything on those.

Please Twins is an example of a comedy-romance that I really like. Maiku is a little dense but he is no idiot, he is actually a very respectable guy. He uses common sense and there was never a time when I wanted to back-hand him. Also, Mina and Karen's relationship was a good change from what I've seen; instead of becoming cut-throat rivals over the same guy, they form a pact and continue being a highly entertaining set of best friends.

I don't have any problem with love triangles or romance being in a series, as many of the titles I own have them (Outlaw Star, Basilisk, Armitage, etc.), just as long as it doesen't derail the main plot.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
I like some romances, provided they are not cheesy, predictable, or chick-flick-like. If it's got great writing, likeable characters, and little to none of the above I'll probably like it. I saw the first episode of Rumbling Hearts and it definitely kept my interest to the point that it's a title I'm putting into consideration.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess I fall in with those who don't really like romance anime. But it's not just romance anime but really romance movies, shows, books and so on. If the stories focus is romance it just doesn't capture my attention, I wouldn't say I hate it, I just don't really care for it much.

Now romance undertones or a romantic aspect to the series I don't mind and can even enjoy, but there needs to be something else to it, and usually that something else needs to be the dominant aspect of the story to hold my attention. I often find myself caring for the romantic relationships of characters, I just can't get in to it if that's all the title has to offer or the primary purpose of the series. The sad part about these romantic sub-stories and undertones in a lot of anime is that they're so often left unresolved or end poorly. I guess that's the one benefit a romance specific title has, since the romance is the focus at least going in to it you know it'll be resolved one way or the other.

I'm sure if I gave them more of a chance I'd probably find a few I could actually get in to, but pretty much all the romance titles I've seen/read from anime to literature just couldn't hold my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
Well if anybody knows me, and nobody wants to, I LOVE Romance anime and will scream it naked in 32 degree weather on top of a diesel driving down the highway. From Shoujo to Seinen.

Ai Yori Aoshi is probably my favorite overall romance title. It's down to earth and the main character isn't one of those indecisive guys that you normally see. I love all the characters and how they fit into the show. (Chika-chan FTW!!) and although you know who Kaoru is going to choose by episode 1, you still watch it to see that happens to Tina or anybody else that falls for him because this show pulls it off nicely.

I watch anything and everything and tend to like more then I should of it. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora was very nice, and of course Rumbling Hearts was heart wrenching. Kare Kano is a pretty cool take on the romance thing and I really like it. Of course Air and Kanon (although not entirely in this category) are two of my favorite shows of all time and I love them too death, although I can't watch them too much because I cry too much. I've always been in love with Oh! and Ah! My Goddess, the OVA's, Movie and both TV seasons always get to me, although it's probably because it's a pretty good love story with some fantasy, save the world elements in there and I'm always a sucker for that. That's probably why I love Steel Angel Kurumi and practically all the Tenchi's. Also probably why I liked Negima! as much as I did.

I like yuri titles a little more then normal titles because when it's two girls going through this it seems just a little more dramatic and/or supenseful which normally just draws me in. Utena, Strawberry Panic! and Kannazuki no Miko are good for that. Kashimashi tries at it but it normally seems way over dramatized for what's actually going on and didn't really hit as hard, but it's OK if anybody hasn't seen it and wants too.

Although I like Love Hina it's never hit me as all that great, I've always thought that they should've ended the series like they did with Again, having the specials take place somewhere during the series, then make Again about them keeping their love together through something like his sister coming to mess it up.

Anyway, I could do this all day (haven't even hit Please Teacher/Twins,To Heart, Chobits, Happy Lesson which is a different type of love and all the other titles I know and love/like/not-so-much...) but I assume you get where I stand on this.

Last edited by Iwatch2muchanime on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3