• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guys and Romance Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Im a guy who doesn't have a problem telling people I like romance anime and manga. Although most of the ones I like are made most mostly for guys i.e: Love Hina,I"s, Ai Yori Aoshi, Girls Bravo, Negima, Tenchi Muyo,Rumbling Hearts, and Boy's Be. As for romances for everyone I like Train Man, School Rumble, and Ranma 1/2. As for Shojo I like DNAngel and Fruits Basket.

I tend to like the fan service type romances best because I usually can relate to the male character and I like the sense of that kind of comedy mixed into a romance story.

I think most guys don't give romance anime/manga a chance because when they hear romance they will tend to think of american romance which is pretty much aimed only at women.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Bokura ga Ita and I was quite disappointed in the ending. This was my first true shoujo/romance anime that I watched til the end and it was very disappointing.
mikho928

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
I think most guys don't give romance anime/manga a chance because when they hear romance they will tend to think of American romance which is pretty much aimed only at women.

Totally Agree with you there! Maybe its got something to do with sexual orientation? but like a wise man from a certain movie about pastry once said "I am comfortable with my own sexuality."

As for me I enjoy romance anime as long as they have substance, if the events in the anime can be interpreted on a higher plane of thinking that I'm sold (Such as Honey and Clover). Also enjoy the less brainpower intense ones that incorporate slapstick humor or action (such as Love Hina or Full metal Panic).

Romance Anime, give it a go! Its not Gay. Very Happy
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Although most of the ones I like are made most mostly for guys i.e: Love Hina,I"s, Ai Yori Aoshi, Girls Bravo, Negima, Tenchi Muyo,Rumbling Hearts, and Boy's Be. As for romances for everyone I like Train Man, School Rumble, and Ranma 1/2. As for Shojo I like DNAngel and Fruits Basket.

I think this is a very important point you're bringing up here - difference between seinen with romantic themes and shoujo, as the target demographics couldn't be more different (adult men vs. girls). It doesn't help that a lot of romance seinen is marketed to girls over here, to tell you the truth I find that downright creepy.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess the reason I do not like most romance anime is because its too girly. And its not something you can sit and watch with male anime fans. Sure,I might watch it with a girlfriend to interested into anime. Also,the characters in romance anime usually are so blind that they can not tell when a character likes them. Futhermore,its just not my cup of tea and most of them are predictable.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Most of the guys I know actually like romance/shoujo series. But then again, they're sort of odd people to begin with. I agree, though; real men can admit that they like romance anime^^

Inversely, I'm a girl and I can't stand romance anime unless it's got a lot of action in it (I'm okay with some mahou shoujo, but no harem/girl at bishounen-dominated school/ronin student romance stuff). The only series I've actually liked that's pretty slice-of-life is NANA, and that's pretty much because I just want to know what happens to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zombie Youth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
For me, the trouble with some romance series (drama too, really) is it takes too long to set up. I need to be kept entertained during the time it takes to develop the characters to the point where I give a crap about what happens to them. Wink

That can be done a lot of different ways (comedy being my favorite), and some manage to do it very well. I liked Oh My Goddess, Fruits Basket, Midori Days, Maison Ikkoku, Honey and Clover, and a whole bunch more excellent titles I'm sure I'm forgetting. But some series don't seem to even try at all, and I find myself unable to sit through an entire episode.

It's got nothing to do with "girliness," which I think is an extremely poor reason to dislike something. The question is, "can this series keep me entertained from start to finish?" If the answer is no, I won't like it. Simple as that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
For me i'll watch anything as long as it has a good plot and can hold interest. Some romances are good at this while others are less than adequate. One of the latter, to me, would have to be Boys Be..., but that's just my opinion. What I really hate to watch though are the Shounen shows in which all they do is get in fights for no reason or do stupid stuff for no reason, you know, all action and no plot kind of anime. That being said...I hope I'm not the only guy who's watched Lamune (the game was definately aimed at guys, but the anime was a Slice of Life type of which most people aren't fans).

Oh yea...can't forget about the Yuri romance titles....I tend to like those more than the rest

<3 Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama ga Miteru (though the latter is more like bonding between females while the former is more like BONDING (the emphasis is there for a very good reason) between females).
I'm with daemonblue on this -- I'm willing to give anything a chance if it has a good plot, some interesting hook, or enough fun to qualify as a guilty pleasure. And on forums and IRL conversations with anime fans, I don't hide the fact that I like romance anime. No matter what the genre or intended audience, the struggles of characters as they find, keep, lose, and regain romantic love is almost always enough to hold my interest. In fact, some series like FMA lose points with me for not having enough romantic content. And as I've said in the past, I watched a fair amount of chick-flicks and girly TV shows before getting into anime, so this is just a natural extension.

And don't worry, daemonblue, you're not the only guy who's watched Lamune -- I found it to be a sweet, relaxing series that had the trappings of a harem, but stayed pretty close to the core couple without the shenanigans of shounen romance. Cute childhood flashbacks, too, but that ED "Summer Vacation" was a crime against everyone's sanity. In general, romance anime based on visual novels is one of my collection's staples; hearing that something is based on a ren'ai or bishoujo game is usually enough to get me to check it out.

[For those who don't know me, don't let the avatar and the tastes fool you, I am a guy.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind them as long as they're the kind aimed at guys or enjoyable by both sexes at least. I haven't seen too many of them but I did heavily enjoy Ai Yori Aoshi, Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, Kimagure Orange Road, REC, Suzuka, and Chobits.
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
i watch all types of anime...romance actually is really good....i started out liking anime because of you know the fightin and DBZ and stuff but now well i'm not so much into DBZ but don't get me wrong fightin shows are still great but i really like romance stuff now....i've watched anything from AIR, to KGNE(rumbling hearts), SHUFFLE(personal favorite so far), Da Capo S1(watchin 2 later), SUZUKA(also a personal favorite), oh my goddess(GREAT PIECE), and well i don't remember many of the other ones but still
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:
For me i'll watch anything as long as it has a good plot and can hold interest. Some romances are good at this while others are less than adequate. One of the latter, to me, would have to be Boys Be..., but that's just my opinion. What I really hate to watch though are the Shounen shows in which all they do is get in fights for no reason or do stupid stuff for no reason, you know, all action and no plot kind of anime. That being said...I hope I'm not the only guy who's watched Lamune (the game was definately aimed at guys, but the anime was a Slice of Life type of which most people aren't fans).

Oh yea...can't forget about the Yuri romance titles....I tend to like those more than the rest

<3 Strawberry Panic and Maria-sama ga Miteru (though the latter is more like bonding between females while the former is more like BONDING (the emphasis is there for a very good reason) between females).
I'm with daemonblue on this -- I'm willing to give anything a chance if it has a good plot, some interesting hook, or enough fun to qualify as a guilty pleasure. And on forums and IRL conversations with anime fans, I don't hide the fact that I like romance anime. No matter what the genre or intended audience, the struggles of characters as they find, keep, lose, and regain romantic love is almost always enough to hold my interest. In fact, some series like FMA lose points with me for not having enough romantic content. And as I've said in the past, I watched a fair amount of chick-flicks and girly TV shows before getting into anime, so this is just a natural extension.

And don't worry, daemonblue, you're not the only guy who's watched Lamune -- I found it to be a sweet, relaxing series that had the trappings of a harem, but stayed pretty close to the core couple without the shenanigans of shounen romance. Cute childhood flashbacks, too, but that ED "Summer Vacation" was a crime against everyone's sanity. In general, romance anime based on visual novels is one of my collection's staples; hearing that something is based on a ren'ai or bishoujo game is usually enough to get me to check it out.

[For those who don't know me, don't let the avatar and the tastes fool you, I am a guy.]

Speaking of your avatar, that's frm strawberry eggs right? Never got to see it, is it worth seeing? Silly ? to ask you since it's your avatar but thought I'd ask anyway.

I love romance in anime and normal movies. I am a movie buff plain and simple. I love almost all kinds of movies. I'm an only child and had 2 working parents while I was young until we moved. I was unpopular and made fun off all the time. Neddless to say I spent many a day in doors by myself. Books and movies were my escape. From comedy to action, from sci-fi to romance, I watched and read everything. Honestly, a lot of the best plots and character development in series/movies come from romantic titles. They usually don't have the flash and glammer of other titles so they gotta work even harder on the story. My favorite anime/manga of all time is Oh My Goddess. It's got comedy sure but the romance and drama has always been the main driving point for the series. Guys shouldn't be ashamed of it at all. Anyone that says that stuff is just for chicks is silly and needs to open their eyes. Plus, it'll impress your girl that you're open to that stuff and not just a normal guy who likes beer and action flicks while wearing your shorts and burping (though that is fun too).
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a question, it connect to guys that don't really like romance anime.

I believe it's the opposite, well I have only work with guys that love romance, like the movie Whisper of the Heart. Well my question is this, Why most guy play in anime role weak (like a girl emotions)? For example, Let Dai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Not to be mean, but could you please frame that in the form a question and clarify? Confused
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Speaking of your avatar, that's frm strawberry eggs right? Never got to see it, is it worth seeing? Silly ? to ask you since it's your avatar but thought I'd ask anyway.

Yup, it's the guy from IMMSE Razz and it is a rather good series, and judging from the rest of the comment you'll most likely love it, though it is somewhat slow. Now my question is why did Zalis change the avatar from Shanon to this Razz
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I can never get enough of romance comedy. As much as I'd like to say I've watched more romance comedy than anything else, sadly, I havn't. Give me a Honey and Clover, BECK, School Rumble, Ouran, Fruits Basket, Love Hina (manga was better), Suzuka, even Ichigo 100% (after I read the manga I realized how amazing it was) and I'll finish it in a matter of days.

Even hardcore romances interest me, including Kimi Ga, which is a personal favorite, and Air, although it wasn't too great (not much romance).

I also love romance/action (fighting and what-not) like Full Metal Panic, Eureka 7, Mai-Hime, Martian Successor: Nadessico, Shakugan no Shana, and Fate/stay Night.

Even comedies with small amounts of romance give me a thrill like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya, Genshiken, and GTO

I tried looking for Kare Kano on the Tube (not telling you if it's I-Tube, He-Tube, or Youtube), but no one has it. I'm also in the middle of NHK and Bokura ga Ita, which are both really, really good, but I'm hearing the ending of BGI is dissapointing.

I'm also loving this thread ----- It's like a recomendation thread in disguise Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3