• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spy × Family (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:01 pm Reply with quote
while the anime , like real life , gives her precious few opportunities to show it , Anya really shines here . as Harleyquin points out , that talking style of hers is adorable and one of the show·s strong points . Haha-san and Jiji-san are their best selves in this episode , even if that comes across as more self-sacrificing than it would make sense to be . having flown into a rage myself before , i know how hard it can be sometimes to knuckle through a debasing exchange .

i really like this anime a lot . there are some character details that need to be ironed out , like Jiji-san·s preoccupation with failure whenever he isn·t in situations where he is neither under pressure nor directly in control . the show is obviously designed to carry the family along . sometimes in life we have a little divine providence that feels a whole lot the same .
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:23 pm Reply with quote
4:

Why the head cow be looking like a member of KISS.

I want to know what happened to Anya's mom. Curious.

And let this be known: if anyone asks if you're okay, the elegant answer would be daijoubu-masu.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Why the head cow be looking like a member of KISS.

That is how you know that it is in charge.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
I haven't chimed in on the show yet but like most I am thoroughly charmed. The humour is topnotch and Anya is adorable. Best show of the season for me.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)
S01E05

what an incredible episode
the ability of YorHa to pull together
an exercise of that magnitude on the spot
is a testament to the Agency·s reach

sugoi Ha
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote

She got in, but through the back door and by the skin of her teeth. Henderson did what he could, but Loid owes him for pulling it off at the cost of his job position and he's going to find it easier to have Mr Elegance on the school staff rather than outside of it for his main mission to succeed.

At least Yor didn't have to kill an innocent parent just to force a withdrawal.

The rest of the episode may be a time-filler, but seeing Loid abuse his position and pull out all of the stops for Anya with only a tenuous connection to assisting Operation Strix's success is sheer entertainment. It's hilariously over the top, but that's what viewers watch this show for. It's also the first time we see Loid and Yor actually take each other on (albeit with Yor completely out of it and Loid not a willing combatant), despite all this Loid is still not doing more to find out why his "wife" is as strong as she is for a civilian.

Anya's mind-reading abilities only shine if she's got the opportunity and appropriate targets to work with. What better way to help Loid than to use those powers against peers her own age (or slightly older if she lied at the start of the series)? If Loid's main mission is to stop the aspiring potentate from starting a war, Anya getting close to his offspring is going to be crucial.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun May 08, 2022 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
5:

This is the show practically handing itself over to Anya. It even looks like it had a blast itself.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote

We already know how perfect the two parents are at their real professions, but this episode is a stark reminder that Anya is just a child, doesn't have a lot of book smarts, grew up in an orphanage with a caretaker who found her creepy and relies a little too much on her psychic abilities without the maturity required to fully maximise the ability. In a sense, the result of the first day is within expectations. But we've seen this happen before and there is still time for Anya to overcome the worst possible start she could have in her new school life.

That said, every single episode to date has not failed to get me in stitches from the comedy-induced laughter. Most of it for me this week is during the school orientation arc, especially with Anya's very distinctive smirk. Whatever one says about Anya's social skills and her speech pattern, she will do anything and everything to keep her pretend family together and surely she'll come up with something to turn the situation around. Next week's teaser hints that Tasogare might be giving her a bit of a push to help his mission along.

I don't know why the tailor went off on that Eden-related tirade right at the start of the episode, but it was the catalyst for a lot of things in this episode so it's all good. Ibarahime might be gorgeous, but those hands of her are diamond-hard considering how expertly she uses them. One thing I did want to see as this series goes on is Ibarahime forming a more genuine bond with Anya, and this is the first overt sign that she is proactively working towards it. Anya of course reciprocates, since she's happy to have a new mother who can destroy pumpkins with her bare hands (even if she's slightly afraid of her real profession and what it would mean if she crosses Yor).

That picture at the end: priceless. The animators really know how to milk the situation for maximum comedic effect.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
the forgers are such a healthy family .
that·s so refreshing to see in today·s world .

this setting creates an atmosphere of nervousness
that Anya really shines in .
she·s kind of at her best when she·s a little bit wired ,
and the prestigous school is just alien enough
to keep her constantly on her A game .
the spoiler[Diamond Fist] at the end
was amazing .

we know that·s usually All Kyujin·s position ,
sed sa i identify with HaHa-san a lot .
at any rate , it is good that these
brambles are interlockable .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:37 am Reply with quote
To be fair, he really didn't do too much so that Anya would be ready befriend him.

But also smug Anya.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:50 am Reply with quote
6:

HEH.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote

There's a lot riding on this mission, but Tasogare has completely forgotten what it was like to be a 6-year old in the first few days of school. Although his behaviour is increasingly resembling that of the worried parent pressuring a child to excel, it's good that Ibarahime reminds him Anya is just a child and shouldn't be compelled to do what her parent wishes. Also, the gap between children and adults is starkly put into focus. Like the other children, Tasogare took Desmond's reaction at face value (as did nearly everyone else) and doesn't have the benefit viewers have of seeing what Desmond is really thinking. Plan B might still be an option, but it will require Anya to work a lot harder to get past another six-year old whose pride and arrogance won't let him be honest with his feelings.

I'll say this: Tasogare's disguise is scarily effective. I wasn't expecting the janitor disguise, although the others were more easily identified once the viewer had been prepped to expect this.

As always, this series never fails to bring on the laughs. A lot of it comes from Anya's reactions to her multiple mind-reads, but the internal monologues of the other characters don't fail to put a smile on the face either.

The other side-story which viewers might have forgotten is Ibarahime's brother. Way back before they married Ibarahime was stressing on what to do with the party. This episode did a clever way of leading him back in with that reminiscence scene of the silbings' childhoods. Now she has to find a way to convince her brother she wasn't forced into a shotgun marriage. If the trailer is any indication, he too has a cover story of his own and the newlyweds need to find a way to allay his suspicions or risk the entire enterprise going up in smoke.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
7:

THERE WE GO.

Of course there's more to Yor's brother than just a side story. This is going to be great.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:32 am Reply with quote
it truly is incredible how many dreams can be ruined by the omission of a single S or the flipping of a single bit

at what point did you want ConsequenceSeverity to equal MAX ka
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MaritLage, it is my burning ambition to one day actually understand one of your posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11