• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spy × Family (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
MaritLage, it is my burning ambition to one day actually understand one of your posts.

alas i am so friendly to talk to via PM
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I understood that post! Wink
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
and yet
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
@ MaritLage - I don't want to leave you hanging but I'm not planning on sending you a PM. I hope you don't think I have some sort of beef with you, because I don't. My initial comment in this thread was just a whimsical throw away comment indicating that you frequently broadcast on a frequency I'm not picking up, nttiawwt.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
no problem i pull from a lot of sources
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote

The series had to refocus on Yor's family sooner or later, and that time is now. Turns out this whole series is filled with characters steeped with deception, with Yuri being the youngest member of the series equivalent to the Stasi. He's clearly competent, and like his sister has a ruthless and violent streak which he is very willing to indulge in when the circumstances call for it. Fortunately for Loid and his family, he's also a siscon, terrible at holding his liquor and inexperienced despite his talent. Loid still has one more act to fulfil before he can partially allay suspicions, but for an episode cliffhanger this is nicely played.

Not much Anya in this episode, bar her struggles with basic mathematics and her application of spy cartoons to help her better understand. Trailer shows she's going to wake up, so her reaction to having an uncle who by her definition would be a bona fide villain should make for an interesting reaction.

Loid might be losing his grip with this new assignment, but he hasn't lost it completely yet. This is actually the first time this series he has seen through the cover of someone who's close to him or his family, but how far he can press his advantage remains to be seen. Yor and Anya might prove to be beyond him as far as their true identities are concerned, but Yuri might be doable provided he plays his cards right next episode. After all, it's one thing fooling the brother-in-law once, but doing it consistently when he's a siscon and intent on breaking up the marriage is another. If Loid is as thorough as we expect him to be, I expect him to sweep the flat for bugs if and when Yuri leaves, particularly the oversized bouquet of roses.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote

Not quite how I expected it to pan out, but viewers do not get to see Tasogare and Ibarahime embarrass themselves in front of Yuri Briar. Although it's hilarious seeing Yuri get smashed around by his drunk elder sister, it's increasingly incongruous how Tasogare does not look deeper into his wife's background since it's ridiculous just how strong she is for someone who claims to know a bit of self-defence. Granted, she was drunk when she fought Tasogare and beat up her brother, but Dutch Courage only goes so far.

This episode actually sees Tasogare revert to type, although after everything he and his "family" have been through it's a little low to wiretap the spouse just to check if she's really clueless about what her younger brother really does for a living. Regardless, the animators have a real knack for seizing the comedic moment, whether it's exaggerating Yuri's obsession with his sister or the camera pan when he swears he'll do Tasogare in for making his sister cry. The little skit with him in disguise should have been yet another warning that she is not all that she seems, yet for whatever reason he's not picking up on it. He's done a background check on everything about her except where she learned to fight.

Again, not much Anya in this episode. Her role as the family psychic is still important though, since she unwittingly plays her part in keeping Tasogare's suspicions from descending into full-blown paranoia which would completely ruin the enterprise. The good news for Anya fans is that next week's episode swings the spotlight back to the Academy and her ongoing mission of climbing the school's social hierarchy without getting expelled.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:09 am Reply with quote
Anya·s not getting enough face time ·cos Uncle Yuri is fighting with Jiji-san over Yor h

OK, Got it!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
Sis-cons can be creepy but for me S x F is doing a good job of maintaining the comedy - creepy balance. In my opinion, there is almost something innocent in Yuri's obsession with Yor as opposed to "hur-hur, I wanna jam my sister." And thanks to the collar tap, Twilight now knows that Yor's co-workers are hilariously nasty.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:08 am Reply with quote
I figured he'd know that from the way the first time he met one of them she called Yor a prostitute right to his face
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
8-9:

Hot take: the show is always much better when Anya is around.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
That's a hot take? It's pretty lukewarm to me, if anything I think most people agree?
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
Anya kind of makes the show what it is .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:39 am Reply with quote
Anya is love.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
mother does not exist !!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11