• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It (TV)
Season 2 - Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It. r=1-sinθ (TV 2)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary: Yukimura and Himuro are both graduate students working in the same lab. One morning all out of nowhere, Himuro announces to Yukimura that she believes that she is in love with him, totally shocking her fellow scientist. Yukimura demands to know how Himuro has arrived at such a conclusion, stating that as science-types, they simply cannot come to proper conclusions without evidence. Thus the two begin an attempt to quantify and qualify their romantic feelings, determining that if love is, in fact, real, it must be provable with science.

S1 - Crunchyroll
S2 - Apr. 1, 2022 (Fridays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Checked ten pages back and saw there was, apparently, never a thread made for this one. Season 2 is currently airing.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:33 am Reply with quote
2nd season eppie last:

Well. That took a turn.

I don't have anything to say about it, but... wha?

It's not exactly what I'm looking for in my romcoms.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:19 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

I had to track down what I said after the first season in March 2020, wondering if my thoughts were the same. But my thoughts this season I think were a little different, specifically that this is a show about science, it probably should be pretty smart, and I think it had some stuff a little too far between to actually be living up to its setup.

One huge problem I had was that the show is super heteronormative, painfully so that it I noticed that it straight up ignores any elements of possible homosexuality as not counting because between girls or something doesn't count. Although to be fair I still think it had some elements of fetishizing queerness, such be those yuri like moments, and a touch of crossdressing. It wasn't actually until I think it was something like episode 8, when they actually went so far as to suddenly almost out of nowhere mention the Kinsey scale, which really felt like it took too long to mention something like that. And was mostly used to say something about the existence of sexual minorities, so loving a fictional character is valid, and came across a bit like a strange western thing.

Perhaps I was trying to scavenge too much, but it did kind of make me think about a possible theory, that if done as a long game could have been very interesting. Ena had been a sort of weird character, a bit of an sassy otaku, perhaps tsundere who really didn't get lovey with her obvious romantic interest, but perhaps there was not really any movement with her romantically. I think she might have actually pushed some of the same sex testing in the first season, notably was unaffected by the guys, I think actually introduced Kosuke into his otaku interests, dressed quite maturely but was guarded with anything like her love life. Considering that she actually suddenly mentioned sexual minorities along with the Kinsey scale, could Ena if not a lesbian but be more attracted to women? I thought it could be an interesting idea.

Alas, one of her last appearance of the season was to show that she was affected by an accidentally kiss with Kosuke, which in my opinion kind of feels like it might have undone what even that episode could have done in showing Ena dressed as a bride and not at all affected Kosuke dressed as a groom. I genuinely think the show misses a lot with its elements of trying to scientifically look at love, if it just ignored anything queer. If we are talking about the Kinsey scale, I think that it is silly not to even see Ayame would likely not be all at one end, considering some of her actions around Kanade at times.

And talking about Kanade, who did seem to have a larger focus this season. I just don't think it did well enough on that theme of trying to be the normal or whatever. There are parts that work, but are we really supposed to see some complex out of apparently that she knows how to defend herself, and apparently once did it to a teacher she had a crush on as a teenager? I would think the teen part of that is much weirder, that she had the experience of being in a relationship that was probably okay. But this season kind of redeems that teacher, and makes him more of a victim? Something is off with all of this.

And then we have the final conflict of the season, where it turns out that the guy Kanade had been going on a date with turns out to be a yandere "nice guy". It felt all way over the top, that to make it easy for us to understand that he is not a good fit, he had to pull out a taser and then kidnap Kanade to his friends who sadistic sex offenders, just to drill home the problems of calling one normal compared to others. If they wanted to make the dude a problematic "Nice Guy", I think that there probably could have been better ways to do it that did not come across so cartoonish. I think there could have been something really good with the idea of Kanade under pressures to be normal, and the guy happened to think he deserved certain things from her because what he thinks society says is normal.

Going back to how I started this, I think that its elements of smart scientific concepts were a bit too far between, and a lot of its other parts are just let down by its general anime romance bs. I do think that seeing Yukimura dressed up as a girl was great, I can't help but feel a bit poisoned by the intention of this series that was meant to sell it as an embarrassing joke. You know, instead of say something more experimental where humans examine their own complexity with things like gender and sexuality, while trying to scientifically understand love.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), around about the first season, where although I think that it finally touched on elements I think it should have, I think it was a bit too clumsy, and maybe a touch more reserved than it probably should.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1