• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Uncle From Another World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:42 am Reply with quote

Uncle From Another World (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes, by Hotondoshindeiru)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: AtelierPontdarc

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Theme: isekai, otaku, parody

Plot Summary:Seventeen years ago, Takafumi's uncle fell into a coma, but now he's back like a man risen from his grave. Soon, Takafumi discovers two bizarre things: His uncle treasures video games above all else, and, while comatose, he was actually transported to another world as some heroic guardian.

Now, not only does Takafumi have to room with an uncle who is literally magical, he also has to catch the guy up on two decades of history—smartphones, high-speed internet, modern anime tropes…and the traumatic outcome of the '90s console war.

Air Date & Platform:
July 6, 2022 (Wednesday)
Available on: Netflix

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote

Overlord Season IV might be airing at the same time, but this series if pulled off properly might well give that behemoth considerable competition for eyeballs this season. I haven't laughed out loud so much in one episode of this genre for a long time.

The series is a massive parody of a genre that's been developed to death over the last decade or more, but it's also a homage to the late 90s and early 2000. A lot of viewers born after 2000 will not catch the references in this show, but for those who do it's a quirky way of using nostalgia as a hook. Even the author of the source material uses an absurd handle, since 殆ど死んでる in Japanese roughly translates to "at death's door" in English.

Our titular "uncle" was effectively an anti-social gamer who ended up in a different world after a traffic accident. Unlike Momonga who's nowhere near to finding his way, he recovered from his coma and returns to Japan in 2017. The one thing which keeps his nephew from sending his relative to a mental asylum is Uncle actually kept his abilities and items from his 17-year sojourn, which is where a lot of the comedy comes from. Although the fantasy world he ended up in was just as callous and brutal as real-world Japan, the ability to learn and wield magic certainly helped to ease his suffering (which appears to be derived from his outward appearance over there, glasses and all).

The 8-bit animation OP combined with the incongruous pop-song is another highlight of this series. It appears the beautiful elves who feature in his memories might find a way to enter real-world Japan somehow, which is comedy gold should that development take place.

One feature which really tickled me is the use of smartphone features which we nowadays take for granted to change the view of Uncle's displayed memories. That certainly narrows the culture shock after 17 years out, especially for a person whose memories of a mobile phone predate the Apple Iphone (the smartphone pioneer). Seeing the old-fashioned clamshell phones (which were all the rage in Japan back then) got Uncle so nostalgic that he'd buy a phone with an emphasis on buttons rather than touch panels despite the limitations of 2G. Internet advances over the years have also allowed Uncle and nephew a revenue stream which would be impossible back in 2000, even if Uncle still has zero resistance to trollbait despite his experiences.

It looks like Uncle can do almost anything in real-world Japan (even simulate getting stabbed for online views exceeding 2 million), but his emotional immaturity and scars from his 17-year sojourn render him almost completely incompatible with current society. How the animators and material works with this will determine how successful this series will be, since the first episode is hilarious and if more of this is at hand viewers will certainly stay for the journey.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote

I'm getting a clearer picture of how this series is developing. Most of the comedy comes from the disconnect from what audiences expect from the situation described in Uncle Shibazaki's memories and what really happens because said Uncle is a die-hard Sega geek who didn't change his behaviour or mindset despite being in a coma for 17 years and learning enough magic to slay dragons in the interim.

In a sense, the series is like stand-up comedy. Only a lot more elaborate because of Uncle's magic and the other-world element occasionally brought in to pique the audience's interest. Takafumi plays the backup role as the Uncle goes through his comedy routine with a punchline at the end which is intended to get the audience to roll their collective eyes and groan at the cheese.

That said, the series isn't going to sustain itself purely on Uncle's memories and random showcases of his magical abilities when he gets emotionally roiled. More of the cast members featured in the 8-bit OP animation take the stage. Turns out the ice maiden is just as much a shut-in as Uncle is, only with powers of her own but with zero motivation to use them. Fujimiya and Takafumi go way back, and it appears the former has always liked the former but never got around to confessing. The latter on the other hand has never seen Fujimiya as anything more than a friend from way back, regardless of how dense Uncle is. I expect there's some comedy to be derived from Fujimiya needing a bit more convincing that Uncle Shibazaki is who he says he is, instead of the insane parasite lunatic she currently perceives him as.

As the series progresses, at some point the Tsundere elf Takafumi was talking about is going to find her way into Uncle's world. That's what the OP animation hints at. After all, he practically proposed to her without understanding the ramifications and she's not going to take the coin and a blithe no for a payoff. Seeing her interaction with Fujimiya is something to look forward to, if and when it happens.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The material shown before airing was misleading, I thought this would be cheaply made but it's actually decent and kept all the fun.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
EveChamps wrote:
So this works something like a multiverse thing? I guess that's the vibe I'm getting from the concept posted here. Also, would have to commend the poster and the team who made it. It's really stunning and well made. Defnitely caught my attention.

This is like any other Isekai, just told a bit differently.
By recounting the events instead of showing the events happening the author can keep the narrative non linear focusing just on the fun things and skipping all else, while the characters re-watching the events offer commentary.
It doesn't take itself seriously, or at least tries not too, because there's always the possibility of Uncle remembering some tragedy and wanting to return to that other world. I wonder if this will happen eventually.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote

This series never fails to provide the laughs, but there's an edge to this episode which the previous two didn't have. It's not pleasant, so I wonder if Takafumi is going to suffer the consequences for the second half prank later in the series.

What's interesting about this episode is its reference to real-world events from the recent past. Plenty of videos on Youtube even now from smaller niche producers complaining about loss of revenue from that period, so curious viewers can look them up if they're in the right language. The first half did encapsulate both sides of human nature in the virtual world, as well as how emotionally immature Uncle Shibazaki is despite his long adventures in the other world. The obligatory reference to Shibazaki's memories from the other world is also included, as well as the ongoing subplot featuring the Tsundere Elf Paladin. Although the pattern of interaction between him and the Elf is already established, it's still funny seeing the disconnect between Takafumi (and the audience's) expected reaction and what Uncle really does afterwards.

The second half (which was quickly referenced at the episode start) is the big surprise of this week. I had thought the elf from the other world somehow found her way to Japan, turns out what really happened was Uncle Shibazaki using magic again in a way no one outside of those familiar with the source material would have expected. Regardless of how callously he treated the Elf during their multiple encounters, it's telling that the frame of reference he used for a female form was of the "stalker" who had crossed paths with him the most often during his sojourn.

Although Takafumi is quick to seize the opportunity presented by the unexpected transformation, the way he celebrated what he expected 100% to see from the video wasn't pleasant at all. True, he did say at the start that he was going to leech off his Uncle's magic powers to keep his household expenses in the black, but Takafumi is still his Uncle's sole family relation living life with him so it's a bit harsh playing that prank. Although payday was substantial enough for them to splurge on a nice meal, is Uncle Shibazaki magnanimous enough to forgive his nephew for the prank? If he really wanted to, he could use his powers to earn money as a mercenary or through violence, but his gamer nature and lack of motivation to do something more with his powers prevents him from ditching his nephew. It's worth noting that Uncle does want his nephew to be happy, what with the ham-fisted matchmaking attempts. Too bad the proposed match won't take off if Takafumi's memories are accurate (which makes Fujimiya really shallow as well for her infatuation).

This series keeps uninitiated viewers guessing, but if it keeps the laughs in ready supply I'll happily go along with what's on offer.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote

There's unrequited love, and then there's this franchise's version of turning the phenomenon into an unending source of humour. Fujiyama was absolutely awful when she was in primary school, so I was wondering what on earth convinced Takafumi she was a decent person. Turns out it was coincidence (and considerable misunderstanding) which brought him round.

Last week Fujiyama was convinced Uncle Shibazaki was a fraud. By the end of this week's episode she's no longer fooled by the previous week's ruse of his 2G phone being a fancy projector. After all, she's experienced his magic first-hand and knows how those strange videos get aired (with fast-forward controls for the audience's convenience!).

I didn't expect this show to do what light novel romantic comedies do to their female leads, but in this series every cliche which the audience has come to expect is more or less overturned with a barrel of laughs always at the end. Even though I'm expecting Uncle Shibazaki to revert to his gamer core at the end of a set comedy sequence, the punchline never fails to bring out the laughs.

What's more grating to Fujiyama and Takafumi is that Uncle could have had a much better experience in his long exile if the thought of responding to the persistent Elf's overtures had crossed his mind (no chance, a hardcore Sega gamer through and through). He keeps leading them up the garden path of expectation each time with his vivid experiences, only for the punchline to literally punch them in the gut with hard disappointment every single time. Obviously the comedic impact is there, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the unfortunate Elf who really is as mentally tough as Fujiyama rates her despite all of the disappointment she's been put through.

Despite his considerable abilities, it turns out the other thing he never acquired tolerance for is alcohol. Never give him any, lest he loses his inhibitions and accidentally kills his companions when out of his wits. I'm sure there's a parody in that airborne sequence somewhere, but I can't make the connection.

The Covid-enforced intermission is going to be hard, since the show has really shown itself to be an absolute joy to watch. There's no equivalent of Uncle in the real world though, and viewers need healthy animators with time to recover if they want more of the same fare shown to date.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
@Harleyquin
I had already said this in other place, but this is actually a pretty conventional series. There's the detail that Uncle is a hardware 16/32bit gamer and that the story is told non chronologically with real time commentary and that's it. All the tropes are there.

I don't think Uncle's life in the other wold would be any better if only he could understand Elf's (and others) intentions. He would had romance, and only that. If you pay attention aside from the initial difficulties he is doing very well by himself "playing solo". He often surprises others, he doesn't need any help. Maybe help could actually make things more difficult for him, for example, if he had befriend someone that explained to him how that world works, about it's story and power players, he could be dictated what he could and not do and this would make him weaker. He is strong because he is adventuring his own way without following the rules.

Now, about that final scene.
I'm curious if there will be any burrburr about it. It's not only implied that "it happened", but all that Elf did that a bunch of times.

@"Harleyquin"
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote

Two weeks enforced break is over, but the series is still as reliable as ever at providing the laughs, painful as those moments might be.

Shibazaki's dedication to gaming isn't really comparable to baseball players working towards a pursuit which in the real world can actually earn a decent living if one gets good enough at it, but dedication is dedication and it's harsh to put him down because his pursuit wasn't "worthy" compared to baseball. It's still painful for him to learn that six years of his childhood devoted to completely beating a game doesn't count for much in the intervening years since he was away though.

The whole focus of this episode is really on Mabel, who we haven't seen since episode two. No surprise she went after him after her role in life was made redundant by Shibazaki's unintended action. Having seen what Shibazaki has done to the Elf after so many episodes, is it any surprise she got a ring as well and realised he's not got a single bone in his body which can relate to romance?

Besides laughing at what Shibazaki did to Mabel and his companions' reaction to his behaviour, there's a surprising amount of info packed into this episode. Mabel has more of a connection to Shibazaki than we thought based on their first meeting, especially if the story her clan was founded on is really true. The next surprise is Shibazaki himself: turns out the "Alternate World" he was resurrected in is some kind of ROC/PRC fantasy online game with the pre-recorded starting bonus issued to "new players". He didn't get much of a bonus (after all he didn't even speak to the deity in person like Mabel's ancestor did) but it was enough to get him to speak the strange lingo, which in any foreign place is always an asset.

Viewers knew this from episode one, but Fujimiya lost contact with Takafumi despite their shared school years and she never knew his family broke up partly because of Shibazaki's accident. If she's not given up on being his partner in life, she's going to need to dig a little on what happened to him when they parted ways.

This episode ends on a tongue-in-cheek note as well, since the "coffee break" is a heavy hint viewers are going to see a continuation of this next week.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hyped for the next episode, to finally see "that scene".
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 am Reply with quote

This episode is good entertainment, but for reasons which are so wrong it's almost tragic.

The show is really good with the punchlines (he's worth 3 copper pieces, a dirty brush is worth 120(!)), but it's the secret behind his magic which is both comical and unexpected. Who'd have thought his "translation" gift would turn out to be universal in more ways than one? Still, he can't change his looks in a world which jumps to conclusions on appearances alone so his starting gift was literally the only thing that would keep him alive.

Although Fujimiya and Takafumi still mock him for his unhealthy dedication to Sega console games, it's undeniable that his childhood spent on them turned out to be sufficient to develop a mindset which would allow him to survive in his new world. Both his monologue in the cell and his counter-attack were inspired by games he previously played, so disrespecting him for being obsessed with games isn't really fair to him given he survived thanks to those memories.

The Elf is another one; using the miniature portal spell like Shibazaki did in episode one was always going to invite serious misunderstanding when he'd just arrived and didn't understand what really happened. It's not surprising the reaction he got from that skit from Takafumi and Fujimiya, most viewers would think the same.

Bringing Mabel back into the picture is a source of even more comedy, what with her ingrained mentality of not working and being a shut-in and the Elf's sudden jealousy at somehow ending up with a rival. Shibazaki, oblivious to the female dynamic, is more interested in dungeon spelunking. Not sure if we viewers will get to see this Legendary Hero in the show though.

The last joke about the Ramen was to be expected; after seeing him take out the wallet to count coins it was a given he'd come up short. Still, after all of the memories shown Fujimiya would probably cut him some slack this time round.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote

The show never fails to bring on the laughs. Last week was funny in a tragic way, this week's humour is more slapstick. Quite a few aspects of Shibazaki's adventures thrown in this week, but with very different outcomes. There's even a short skit in the "real" world as well, although it's not good news as far as Fujimiya is concerned.

The cameo from the Elf is a throwback to last week, so the impact is lessened since viewers expected Shibazaki to do something direct with his stolen clothing. Fortunately that's just to get the audience warmed up, since the real laughs come when Alicia and her crew are introduced.

I played Golden Axe myself, so the references to the game and Shibazaki's dismal attempts to mimic the strategies employed in the game are an added bonus because it's so typical of him to place his entire faith in video game knowledge in a situation which clearly doesn't call for it. Ultimately it's brute force spirit magic that wins the day, while the aftermath is classic Shibazaki paranoia at its finest.

Considering the trio have met Shibazaki three times, the exact same opening fight is tragic in itself, what with the other world's fixation on outward appearances and Shibazaki's uncanny resemblance to orcs. Shibazaki to his credit isn't overtly hostile, so he does cooperate which gets him something in exchange. I thought the hedgehog skit was hilarious, what with his fixation on the fictional Sonic and how he figures out the hard way that the quest was entirely justified. Again, Shibazaki's exploitation of spirit magic borders on overkill each time he goes on the offensive.

The real world skit is seamlessly weaved into the episode as well, and it's also a reminder that Takafumi takes after his uncle in being twisted out of normality. Just as well he was only granted the powers for one hour, or it would have been a bad decision since all of the abilities went to Takafumi's head. His ability to recognise his childhood acquaintances with one glance despite the years is a credit to him though, very few people can do that.

The show is still at its best when the focus is on Shibazaki's exploits in the other world, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the bombshell at the end of the episode is going to be handled next week.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

The real world skit is seamlessly weaved into the episode as well, and it's also a reminder that Takafumi takes after his uncle in being twisted out of normality. Just as well he was only granted the powers for one hour, or it would have been a bad decision since all of the abilities went to Takafumi's head.

To me it just proves once again how good natured Uncle is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

To me it just proves once again how good natured Uncle is.

Considering his treatment of the elf with regards to what he regards as stolen property, I'm not sure if good-natured is the right term to describe him.

If Takafumi was in his shoes having figured out to talk to spirits and wield magic powerful enough to exact vengeance, then the other world might well be decimated. Shibazaki didn't do it probably because he's too disinterested. Doesn't stop him from holding back when the occasion calls for it (goblins, killer hedgehog, perma-flame dragons requiring special swords to seal etc.)
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote

It's back, after a long hiatus due to production issues. Losing Golden Kamui this season wasn't great, but this one returning to air more than makes up for it.

Did anyone who didn't read the source material expect an episode like this? Over the top very much describes what went down, although a lot of the punchlines are effectively Shibazaki reverting to type and acting out his childhood game fantasies when the situation calls for it.

I think this is the first time Shibazaki's actions with the Hero party actually aligned with what convention would dictate is "the decent thing to do". His motives were obviously to let the trio experience the thrill of conquering a difficult dungeon they had dreamed of doing since they were kids, so viewers will have to give him the pass for the two occasions he used his memory wipe spell on them to "enhance" the experience. It would have been a bit much if he was to wipe them again after accompanying them to the end-product, but he had his rationale for doing so after accurately ascertaining what they were capable of.

Turns out Shibazaki's habit of wiping memories has the unfortunate consequence of letting others not up to the required standard take credit for achievements not belonging to them. Second half of the episode tries to fix that, with the typical hilarity that ensues when someone with Shibazaki's mindset gets involved. Mabel hasn't changed at all, which is unfortunate when their charade is seen through and she has to face the music immediately afterwards. Shibazaki's lack of self-awareness earns him devoted stalkers whereever he travels, especially as he didn't bother to make her forget that particular memory.

Now that the series production issues were finally resolved after postponement and the creative team have not let their standards drop, time to see if this series which was a hit last quarter can regain its lost momentum. It's still weird seeing this again after an almost two month hiatus, but I'd seen enough in the first airing to rate it highly enough to see it through and hope my judgment isn't clouded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2