• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Call of the Night (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
Only think I can say about this character named Anko is that I hope she dies, on screen because I want to see it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

I was glad the episode centered around the question of why Ko wants to be a vampire. I especially liked Nazuna's insight that he wants to be a vampire because he sees the night as an escape from the ordinary but if he becomes a vampire than the night becomes his new ordinary. One of my dissatisfactions with the show is I don't have a grip on what Ko's damage is. His parents are divorced, his Dad isn't around and his mom works a lot so isn't around much either... is that it? The show has never really offered an answer to the question of why he is so disaffected by "ordiinary" living. Trying to fit in is a drag? Meh, pretty weak stuff.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One of my dissatisfactions with the show is I don't have a grip on what Ko's damage is. His parents are divorced, his Dad isn't around and his mom works a lot so isn't around much either... is that it? The show has never really offered an answer to the question of why he is so disaffected by "ordiinary" living. Trying to fit in is a drag? Meh, pretty weak stuff.

I also have a million questions about it but according to manga fans "the answers will come".

Still, the most confusing thing is 'how does a kid just stop going to school in JAPAN of all places!?'

I'm quite certain a minor can be FORCED to attend by like....the law? Is it not like America? Am I wrong!?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I suspect you are correct if talking about "real" Japan, but "anime" Japan is a whole different ball game apparently. In Anime Japan, kids stay home from school all the time and heck a lot of them seem to live all alone without any parents!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I feel like I am exposing myself, but I didn't really get super into this show. Theoretically it should have been right up my alley, but I think some of the parts that I probably could have been really into, showed up a bit too late for me to feel super invested.

Like the androgynous character reveal of the last episode, which would be something I would be into, having Kou saying something about gender not bothering him too much. As much as I do think that like a common thing equated sex and gender, as much as I equally appreciate that they said something like whatever makes them looks cuter, because essentially it makes them feel good.

I think that a certain thing that took me out a lot of this show was that Kou is just a kid, he is 14, so I am not really into him being put into romance with a character that is clearly so much older. Nazuna so much more reads as an adult, that I just kind of felt uncomfortable with anything that could be read as romance related. I don't even know what to think of likable romance in this show, did people feel like it was there? Probably on a tangent, another big part I thought was the danger of vampires, which I don't think really came across until very late in the season, with the detective character, which I similarly am not really sure how to process.

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), that it didn't really catch my attention, which really annoys me because theoretically this should have been exactly my thing as someone who likes vampire stuff.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
WHAT A GREAT FINALE.

This

I also loved the replay scene from episode 01 with Kou and Nazuna switching roles!! That trope is always so cool! I'd like to see more examples of it in other shows if anyone has a few!

DuskyPredator wrote:
Nazuna so much more reads as an adult

NAZUNA?? An ADULT!? LMAO what version did you even watch?Laughing

The most "adult" thing she ever does is drink beer!

This girl:

*Is barely ever honest about her true feelings
*Gets jealous/possessive easily
*Loves to mess with people for her own amusement
*Does whatever she "feels like" doing (chooses video games over her actual job)
*Plays 'secret mission' with Kou's watch communicator
*Likes telling dirty jokes but gets embarrassed about love.

Does that sound like an "adult" to you?

Quote:
I don't even know what to think of likable romance in this show, did people feel like it was there?

Yes, okay? Rolling Eyes
Tons of people ship them for good reason. (you can look at Anime Couple Polls of the Season) Their interaction is great. Their chemistry is great. Their 'sexy' scenes are hot. They obviously care a great deal about each other and don't like being apart.
Nazuna's just as a much as a child as Kou is, imo. At any rate, she is not mature. They are perfect for each other. I do not feel uncomfortable about them in the slightest.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
12:

That damn question that I have been asking from the start.

I made it very clear right from the beginning: that Ko is the weird one here. That he claimed that he wants to be a vampire a number of times, yet never addressed why he wants to become one, and more importantly, never realizes that wanting to become one is not normal. When Mahiru began to ask him that golden question, then suddenly he began pressing himself that one question that started it all: why does he want to become one?

Does he really want to become one, or is it just Nazuna's influence talking? How does he know it's not Nazuna's influence working its magic, especially when he has seen how persuasive vampires are? Has it never occurred to him that vampires need human blood to live, and not having it will kill them, even if it takes 10 years? Was he even aware that there are vampire victims in the first place i.e. those who turned into vampires against their own will?

Wanting to become a vampire just because the nightlife is amazing? Yeah, anything new seems fantastic and anyone would want the same feeling over and over again. But Nazuna has spelled it out for him: that the nightlife isn't all that it's cracked up to be, and things get boring after a while. Yes, the novelty effect applies for just about everything in life; Ko's just in his honeymoon phase, still.

For the longest time-in fact, from the very beginning again-I've always thought that Ko has on the dense and naive side, but importantly, been the one to be led on (by Nazuna, for most parts). The one thing he admits, time and time again, is how he doesn't know anything, but if you ask me, the main problem is how he keeps making assumptions about vampires, so he keeps getting surprised at things that should make sense to most people (e.g. would he be surprised to see a *male vampire*?). Ko said that he can't agree with the detective's reasoning, but she, who is probably a nutcase in some ways, just spelled out the holes in Ko's reasoning too. He's not exactly one to talk.

I'm marathoning episodes 12 and the final episode at one go to catch up with the show, so the above are my thoughts for episode 12. Let's see how the show wraps up next.

Final:

That was a surprisingly excellent final episode. Like, wow! I'll get to this at the end of the post.

That talk between Ko and Hatsuka? That felt weird. Hatsuka is this one character we haven't had the chance to explore, yet the show simply crams everything about him into one segment for the role of a plot device. What do I mean? The whole "I'm a guy, so I know how guys thinks, yet I have an attractive androgynous look, so you can be attracted to me too, right?" felt really off. The only thing worth taking away from the scene is the fact that it simply cements Ko's convictions, especially when he's been plagued with doubts since the previous episode. That he wants to become vampire. Or perhaps more clearly, that he wants to be with Nazuna even if it means turning into a vampire. Now that makes more sense... kind of.

Do you know what the whole problem is? Ko is full of doubts and Nazuna is completely evasive for the same simple reason: they're avoiding the very source of their problems. Ko has always been avoiding answering why he wants to become a vampires since that means he has to address the inconvenient facts that come with it. Nazuna avoids talking about romance because that means she has to confront the inconvenient reason why her life has been boring. The whole episode has been a revelation for them to face what they have been trying to run away from since the beginning, and to be honest... it was quite well done.

Now, coming back to why I think the final episode is excellent? It felt like everything that should happen, did happen. It vividly reminded me of previous SHAFT productions, back when it was still at its prime stage. Let's use Bakemonogatari as an example: do you remember episode 12? Yes, that episode that virtually everyone agreed back in the day should have been the final episode, not episode 15? Because it felt magical and it wrapped up everything very nicely on an emotionally cathartic high note?

See, I felt hints of that in this episode too. Ko finding Nazuna at the vending machine, the same way they met the first time. Nazuna still trying to run away from facing the truth. Ko finally becoming sure of what he wants, and Nazuna finally resolving to make their relationship work. That felt magical. That defined SHAFT's work and their ability to make a romance show. And inevitably, Call of the Night is just that: a contemporary teenage spin on a vampire romance, just like I said earlier in the series.

I will give this show a 7.5. Maybe even an 8, I'm not sure. But it surprised me in a delightful way. Caught me off-guard, for sure. A dark horse of the season, definitely. I'm pretty sure there will be a second season for this, especially with the detective issue now becoming a big threat, and I'm actually looking forward to it.

P.S. The detective is the most captivating character in the show. The way the character was portrayed was fascinating, and Sawashima Miyuki really fleshed her out. I would even say, she's the pinnacle of the female character that SHAFT became famous for back in the day. I need to see more of her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3