• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Couple of Cuckoos (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote

(A) Couple of Cuckoos (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Theme: harem

Plot Summary: 16-year-old super-studier Nagi Umino, second-year student at the Meguro River Academy high school, was switched at birth. On his way to a dinner to meet his birth parents, he accidentally meets the brash, outspoken, Erika Amano, who is determined to make Nagi her fake boyfriend as she never wants to actually marry. But once Nagi makes it to dinner, he finds his parents have decided to resolve the hospital switch by conveniently having him marry the daughter his birth parents raised...who turns out to be none other than Erika herself.

Apr. 23, 2022 (Fridays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's from a manga, but it feels like a throwback to the harem visual novel days of anime adaptation. Not that I mind, now that we're not supersaturated with these harem shows, I can appreciate the occasional one as a bit of fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:25 am Reply with quote
Not really into the forced marriage thing, nor the sister being into her brother after finding out he was switched at birth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

And another mostly uninteresting harem anime is over, or at least these are the type of modern harem anime that I have really lost interest in. Probably the part I liked the least was any romance stuff with Nagi and Sachi. Can anime just stop with the incest? I don't care that they found out that they are not blood related.

If I was to pick out parts that I like, it would probably be its charismatic male characters, the ones like Yohei and Shion, they just seemed kind of fun like Yohei throwing his birthday party to share with his family. But it was almost like the show hated these characters, always threating them like they were the butts of jokes.

Similarly, I did like most stuff with Erika's social media identity, except maybe the parts where it just has to drill into the audience that she is so beautiful that random people are totally enamoured by looks. It is almost like these sorts of shows think that we won't appreciate their heroines unless they are wanted by absolutely everyone in the setting. I just think there is a space there for an anime to have a character that is good at social media and enjoys doing things like dressing up in modelling getup or taking pictures of their food. And not really being mocked for it being something sort of feminine, and feminine things not fitting certain aesthetics are worthy of ridicule.

But I really don't have a whole lot else to really say. Sure, Nagi has a character to him, but I can't say I ever really found him that interesting.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, I just wish that there was something a bit more interesting to it than just another harem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1