• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (TV) (w/ index).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 (1st half): Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury (TV)
Season 1 (2nd half): Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury (TV 2)

Source: Original

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Sunrise

Genres: action, comedy drama, science fiction

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, discrimination, mecha, military, politics, prejudice, real robot, school, space, war, yuri

Plot Summary: A.S. (Ad Stella) 122― An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system. A lone girl from the remote planet Mercury transfers to the Asticassia School of Technology, run by the Beneritt Group which dominates the mobile suit industry. Her name is Suletta Mercury. With a scarlet light burning in her pure heart, this girl walks step by step through a new world.

Season 1
(1st half): October 2, 2022 (Sunday)
(2nd half): April 9, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1
(1st half): 12 episodes
(2nd half): Pending

Total: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

Episode 01: The Witch and the Bride
Episode 02: Cursed Mobile Suit
Episode 03: Guel's Pride
Episode 04

Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08

Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
(etc.)

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:29 pm; edited 10 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01: The Witch and the Bride

Summary: Suletta Mercury is in on her way to school when she notices a stranded astronaut and rescues them. Upon arrival, she discovers the girl she rescued was Miorine Rembran, whose father is one of the school’s founders and a very influential man. Miorine's fiancé, Guel, attempts to destroy her greenhouse and force her to live with him. Suletta slaps him and accepts a duel challenge.

Miorine takes Suletta’s mobile suit to secretly challenge Guel, when Suletta speeds onto the scene and forcibly takes the cockpit herself, unlocking the core features, and cutting Guel's mobile suit into pieces. Under the school rules, not only does Suletta win Guel's Holder emblem and uniform, but also becomes Miorine's fiancé.

Comments: Quite the breath of fresh air for this one. Most Gundam shows start off in the middle of some kinda' war with our main protagonist, somehow, acquiring or already in possession of, what will be, the most badass mobile suit in the series. Whether or not Ariel is or becomes the best MS remains to be seen. But I really like Suletta's shy, yet honest demeanor, so far.

Another running theme in Gundam is the social disparity: earthlings versus spacenoids, commoners versus the aristocracy. For whatever reason, Suletta's peculiar personality feels very down-to-earth and less over-the-top like most other teenage pilot protagonists, and I like it.

Art and animation also seem much more simplistic and less grandiose than previous titles in the franchise. The mobile suit designs, in particular, are way less gaudy. And even the characters don't seem overly bishie like most other entries. And, of course, you can't have a Gundam series without a mysterious masked idealist.

Hard to tell where it'll go, with this being the first female protagonist. But like I said, it feels fresh. As long as they don't make the main character a really crappy person (*stares at SEED Destiny with murderous intent*), I have high hopes, already.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Cursed Mobile Suit

Summary: After winning her duel, Suletta is arrested and her mobile suit, Aerial, is impounded on suspicion of being a Gundam in violation of the Cathedra Agreement. Miorine becomes furious when her father, Delling, has decided to cease duels and personally arrange her marriage. Miorine publicly challenges her father to a duel and says if her side wins, then Suletta will be officially recognized as her fiancé. If Delling’s side wins, Miorine will follow his wishes, Suletta will be expelled, and Aerial will be scrapped.

Comments: Lots of aristocratic-like things going down in this episode. I’m really liking how the setting is so futuristic and technologically advanced, and yet people are still doing old-fashioned duels. Like I mentioned in my comments for the first episode, a lot of Gundam shows tend use a social disparity gap as a theme. But I feel like they’re mostly for show to imply “one is better than the other and should rule the lesser.” For me, personally, though, I think this is the first time I’ve seen cultural acts of the aristocracy actually be used in a regular social setting for a Gundam show.

It feels political on a smaller scale, when most other Gundams, by this point, would have one side waging all-out war on the other, already. G-Witch’s narrative is feeling much more subtle in scope, which I like. I mean, I also like the epicness and anti-war undertones of every other Gundam, but it’s essentially the same messages over and over, only with different skins. There’s just something about G-Witch’s presentation that’s different, yet engaging, and I’m really liking it after 2 episodes.

I think I’ve narrowed down Suletta’s character to being the “strong, yet bashful” type. She has the skill and prowess to win a mobile suit duel. But at the same time, she cowers behind people at the first sign of tension or conflict. I’d even say her modesty is almost endearing, which is a great change of pace from most other female protagonists that would probably end up being written as tsundere in this position.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Guel's Pride

Summary: Suletta is reinstated as a student for the upcoming duel in a rematch against Guel. During the match, Guel realizes his mobile suit has been hijacked by the onboard AI. After taking back control, he retaliates with full force, but Suletta is still victorious. Impressed by his piloting skills, Suletta shows her respect. Inspired by Suletta's sportsmanship, Guel asks for her hand in marriage.

Comments: Heh, this coming after I just watched the first episode of the new Urusei Yatsura. I find it hilarious that they’re throwing an unexpected curveball in the form of a potentially comedic and awkward love triangle into the mix. I feel this gives the show a whole lotta levity, and yet it still, somehow, feels like a Gundam show.

From the first couple of episodes, I thought Guel was gonna’ turn out to be your stereotypical entitled brat hothead, but they sure fooled me. In fact, with what I’ve seen from Suletta, thus far, I’m almost inclined to call this a coming-of-age story, which just adds to the show’s differential depth even more! I can’t get over how endearing she is. Might this even be a little borderline moé? No, it’s too soon! It can’t be moé! I’ve disliked, pretty much, all implementations of it since Air! But It’s only been 3 episodes, and I already think Suletta is really cool. It must be witchcraft!

Seriously, though. The variety of story elements in this show are really starting to grow on me. If modern teens can’t get into this, then there’s no hope for humanity’s future. The main protagonist is super likable, there’s just enough sociopolitical content to keep old-school fans interested, the mobile suit duels are exciting, but not overly dramatic, and we might even have a cooky love triangle on our hands. This Mobile Suit Gundam at it’s most accessible.

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:55 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 4]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 5]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 6]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 7]
Tony K.
Subscriber

[Reserved for ep. 8]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:56 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 9]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:56 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 10]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 11]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:15 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 12]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1