• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akiba Maid War (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:01 am Reply with quote
10:

I swear to God: I've always, always, wondered if Okachimachi's name has anything to do with that area at Ameyoko.

I don't know if this episode—or this show as a whole, in general—is a parody or homage to yakuza dramas of the yesteryears, including the love story subplot here. Because whatever it's doing, it's surprisingly good at it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:13 pm Reply with quote
11:

"That doesn't spell Radio anymore. It's "Randipanda"!"

"I never thought I'd win it that easily..."

Good god, since when is Nagomi this savage...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:36 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 10]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:36 am Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 11]
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
Final:

"I'm black pork now."

I DIED.

--
You know what? I HAD A SHIT TON OF FUN WATCHING THIS SHOW. I don't care if it's over-the-top ridiculous; it knows what it is and what kind of show it wants to be. And I love it, especially the punchlines. I know that, for the most part, this is parody of mafia shows in general, but sometimes I can't help but feel like it's paying homage once in a while. Maybe it is, maybe not. I don't know, and I wouldn't know.

My biggest concern was whether it could stay fresh for every episode, and surprisingly it could (sticking to just 12 episodes helped a lot; couldn't imagine if it were 2 cours long). It's a rollercoaster ride, and I had a lot of fun.

7/10. At one point, Akiba Maid War excites me more than even Chainsaw Man. That was how fun it was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:36 am Reply with quote
As the credits rolled, I actually felt kind of down, because the death of spoiler[Nagomi] felt like such a cynical thing that it would really just make this show depressing and well just as cynical when the show was at its darkest. But the very end really saved it for me, first that it looks Akihabara did become the non-violent place in real life, and the quick shot of Nagomi. Because Nagomi now is that 36 year old maid, and that she is also wheelchair bound with the same enthusiasm, points that she didn't get out of it unscathed, but also that she was all the more right to stick to her guns. That was after she spent the first half of this episode going "black pork".

My rating will be Very good (8/10). And although it did not always work for me because it sometimes got a bit much, I do appreciate what it did. And especially that it went out on a non cynical note.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
[Reserved for ep. 12]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3