• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Flops (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Love Flops (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: school

Plot Summary: Asahi Kashiwagi is a student who one morning runs into a series of unusual accidents on the way to school — all in accordance with a vague television fortune he watched that morning, and all culminating with an unfortunate encounter with a girl. Coincidentally, all the girls he meets are new students or teachers at his school. Asahi's prior knowledge of the girls earns him the suspicion of Yoshio, a self-proclaimed "friend of Asahi." After school, he finds a love letter in his shoe locker, telling him to come to the cherry blossom tree behind school, again according to his morning fortune. Asahi heads to the cherry blossom tree to see what awaits him.

October 12, 2022 (Wednesdays; HIDIVE)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

If there was one thing I was actually interested in this show at the start, was that we had a return of a feminine boy (AMAB) member of a male cantered harem. It has felt like so long since the like of Hasuta from Nyaruko-san, Megumu of If Her Flag Breaks. Gasper of HS DxD, and .... okay the only other ones I can think are not harems specifically but Hideyoshi, Ferris, Totsuka and Hideri. And then in this episode it went "lol no, she actually girl".

It isn't like all those past ones are perfect, but it really has felt like as a male harem anime here, it was afraid of its audience thinking they are gay by thinking that someone with a male body is cute. This right after it played lip service in an earlier episode about in a modern society not rejecting something being queer, but just had to play one of my most hated queer adjacent tropes of saying that a parent forced their child to dress as the opposite sex. And while I am totally for that line of asking them what gender they want to be, I can only see that the character is only going to be super boring now in just being a feminine girl now, rather than anything gender androgynous.

All this while we now have bisexual reverse harems, and explicitly trans characters. This anime had it as just a joke. They could at least have a masculine female character.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:25 am Reply with quote
Don't you just hate it when the Third episode Twist comes a lot later than it should? My favorite part of this show was its realistic "50 years in the future" setting and while I was expecting it to become relevant, I didn't expect the show to go full Matrix. I don't have questions about its twist as I'm genuinely impressed by it. I kept thinking about all the A's and I's in the character names in the end credits but that could have been a coincidence.

Less of a coincidence was how each of the girls had a different nationality but since it's something that comes with the harem comedy genre, it's not something that stands out.

That just leaves AI... Ai... and ai. That part of the story needed more foreshadowing and now I'll have to rewatch the earlier episodes to see what was done in the main show. I know it was in the opening and closer but seeing how another show this year has its ISEKAI fantasy cast in a high school, I didn't take it as part of the story. Yet.

I'm invested fully now.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Love Flops, ending:

That took a turn, even more than I thought it would. Did it work? The interesting part is I still don't know. Love Flops has two works where they borrowed some ideas, the first is Kanon (2006) and the second is Mahoraba manga. One problem for Love Flops is that while they copied the dissolution of five different aspects of a single personality from Mahoraba, they didn't make it permanent which is weird seeing how all the girls are literally the aspect of a girl called "Love". The show could have each of the ais use a bit of Ai's personality so that as they combined, they get closer and closer to true Ai/AI/love... yeah, the themes are right there in the name, I don't know why they didn't go all the way.

And then there's Kanon, this show Kanons hard, from the dying and forgotten childhood friend to "sad girl in the snow while solo piano plays". In Kanon, Ayu's... status... is a gut punch but Ai's fate doesn't have any impact here. Ai's character needs to come in from episode 1 but as a friend who moved away, who left him, who pushed him away... the lies peeling away as Asahi is ready to face the truth of what he did to Ai.

Yes, what he did, that's one of the things the show did well; Asahi knew something was wrong but he left Ai push him away rather than face the hard reality. The other thing is how much of Aoi is Ai. The show decided she's different from the other four... but she's not 100% Ai.

So there's the question of where's Ai's master brainwave if all these companies had access to it; When making 5 AI hardbodies, there's no problem at all in making a sixth. Then again, they're all Ai... which is why I can't make up my mind about how I ultimately feel about it; Ai's more of a person than the five stereotypes but... I think, the show needed to develop this more after the twist... I think each of the girls has a character quirk from Ai.

I don't think Asahi pulled the necklace out of the Matrix but that would be Ai then... Hmm....

Regardless, this show surpassed my expectations, eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1