• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaina of the Great Snow Sea (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Polygon Pictures

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: In a world where land is being swallowed by the encroaching Great Snow Sea, humanity ekes out a harsh life above the Tenmaku that stretches from the roots to the tops of giant Orbital Trees. The story centers around Kaina, a boy who lives above the Tenmaku, and Liliha, the princess of the small country Atland in the Great Snow Sea.

Air Date & Platform:
January 11, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 11 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
I think this was my favorite first episode of the season.

One of the things that keeps me sticking with anime is that there is always at least one outlier completely beyond my expectations - sometimes not even in a genre that I like - that becomes one of my must sees. It's still too early to tell if this show will maintain, but I loved the world building. Sympathetic characters trying to survive in a bleak setting really ramps up the tension even when the story seems quiet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Given the descent of the orbital spire tree, hard not to think of Made in Abyss even though the two leads aren't kids. Also, I don't expect this title to wrench out my tears and plunge me into the depths of despair the way MiA routinely does. Extremely solid entry in the "good world building / adventure story" sweepstakes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'm still loving it.

Giant Beasts of Ars has a bit more action, and Fire Hunter does a slightly more solid job of original world building, but of the three fantasy shows I'm enjoying, for me, Kaina of the Snow Seas does the best job of balancing world building, bleakness, empathizable characters, and plain action.

I just hope all three do well enough that this innovative fantasy world trend keeps a coming.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I just hope all three do well enough that this innovative fantasy world trend keeps a coming.

From your lips to God's ears. Or, at least, the God of Anime's ears. I would love to see a move away from Fantasy Generica.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to start making cracks about you being my blood brother <g>

Anyhow, I was watching today's episode, and I kept thinking "That must be some of that there Sponge Bob water!"

I have a feeling this show might be a bit somber and slow paced for some people - though those cinematic underwater vista shots sure were purdy. I remember back when I was trying to get some friends enthusiastic about Grimgar, Fantasy and Ash. But this show is just my speed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, we're something better than blood brothers... we be anime bros! We seem to be scarily in sync on things. Down to liking Grimgar. Yes, I wouldn't describe the pacing of Kaina as "rip-roaring" but I don't find myself bored or impatient. Certainly the eye candy helps. I'm very glad The Admiral didn't lean down to Ririha and leer, "Arrrr, have ya ever been to sea, Billy?"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (Finale)

Well, the finale flirted with Deus Ex Machina but I don't mind. And that flashback to when the Sign Keeper told Kaina to keep the bark cutter setting to one notch takes a bit of the stink off of it. I literally cheered when Admiral Crazy took that head shot... I just wish it had blown it right off like an over ripe melon instead of making a neat little hole, but oh well. When one of the Valghians says of the Admiral getting shot, "that's no good" I was all like, "bro, what are you talking about... that was AWESOME!!!" Yeah, did not care for the Admiral, I must say.

So clearly the story is not over and I very much hope we get to see it continued.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 11 (Finale)

Well, the finale flirted with Deus Ex Machina but I don't mind. And that flashback to when the Sign Keeper told Kaina to keep the bark cutter setting to one notch takes a bit of the stink off of it.

I had a bit of the same reaction, mostly because it seemed to be a complete accident that Kaina flicked the switch too far over, unless I missed something. But I also didn't mind.

The weird thing is, I love this anime, but I hardly ever feel compelled to post about this one (or In/Spectre for that matter). I like it better than the anime I do post about (with the exception of Malevolent Spirits: Monogatori) but I never get this itch to comment on something while I'm watching it. it just feels pretty complete, without a lot of sharp edges or questions.

The main characters are pretty basic without a lot of drama or annoying tics, but I like that about them. I like that Princess Ruriha sacrificed the map to save a woman's life, and it wasn't even a big moment. It was just her being her.

Most of my complaints are about the visual aspects. Like the way Kaina's outfit makes it look like he's taken a dump in a flight suit, or how the show is beautifully drawn and then some clunky piece of CGI comes in right in the middle of an action scene. But that's a pretty small issue.

BTW - There's going to be a movie which will presumably be about their quest to find the spire tree. Yosh!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice! I hadn't seen the announcement about the movie so it's good to know. I hear you about the lack of commenting. I'm watching WAY more shows than I actually comment on in any kind of regular basis. What tends to make me post in a given discussion thread is if other people are also showing up. But, for example, with this show it was clear that Edjwald was the only poster I was gonna encounter here, so I was all, "pfffft, what's the point?"

Hee hee hee, I kid, I kid!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I was also following and enjoying the show, but as you know, I'm more of a lurker than I am a poster.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
But we're hoping to draw you out of your shell more, Beltane70!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What tends to make me post in a given discussion thread is if other people are also showing up. But, for example, with this show it was clear that Edjwald was the only poster I was gonna encounter here, so I was all, "pfffft, what's the point?"

I'm guessing "your betterment" would be way too subjective of an answer... Smile

Beltane - Hey, I'm just glad some other people liked the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1