• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kadokawa advertising in the news feed.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:30 am Reply with quote
I see that we are now presenting Kadokawa advertising in the news stream section in the form of recommending the free samples offered to people before needing to buy more.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 am Reply with quote
Hi, could you kindly provide a link or screen capture to show us the advertising you are seeing? I wasn't able to find this advertising myself.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:55 am Reply with quote
ChirashiD wrote:
Hi, could you kindly provide a link or screen capture to show us the advertising you are seeing? I wasn't able to find this advertising myself.

animenewsnetwork.com/tatesc/?show=8 On the front page it is currently the 3rd news article in the list. It takes you to the free sample section of Kadokawa TATESC on bookwalker. A paid subscription for books service or individual chapter purchase service.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Kadokawa just like any other businesses are equally eligible to put up advertising that appear on the site in various places (albeit sneakily so its mistaken for content provided by ANN). The free sample thing is just another gimmick limited to their advertising content. It doesn't seem like anything that ANN is giving preferential treatment to Kadokawa for except that this link is basically a landing page for Kadokawa's online Bookwaker catalog:
animenewsnetwork.com/tatesc/

If that bothers you feel free to reply and perhaps a mod or admin will address your concerns.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
We've been putting ads in the "mainfeed" on the front page for years. Not sure If I'd call the TATESC chapters ads though, now like integration of content. There will be more of it in the future.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We've been putting ads in the "mainfeed" on the front page for years. Not sure If I'd call the TATESC chapters ads though, now like integration of content. There will be more of it in the future.

I would definitely call it advertising, infact it is one of the earliest forms of advertising the free sample is. Just as you would call someone offering free samples of high quality food in a super market an advertisement to try and secure purchases of that food, I would call free samples of a paid service advertising hoping to secure subscriptions or purchase of chapters.

I am going to maintain a neutral position on this current development, but I do think it getting its own category instead of being in the Ad category slightly worrying. It is worth noting and recording.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:31 am Reply with quote
Cryten are the Kadokawa free sample ads intrusive for you? How easy is it to ignore or not see them if you are browsing the news feed or other places on the site? Is it different from other ads, that do nothing if you avoid clicking on them?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

I would definitely call it advertising, infact it is one of the earliest forms of advertising the free sample is. Just as you would call someone offering free samples of high quality food in a super market an advertisement to try and secure purchases of that food, I would call free samples of a paid service advertising hoping to secure subscriptions or purchase of chapters.

I am going to maintain a neutral position on this current development, but I do think it getting its own category instead of being in the Ad category slightly worrying. It is worth noting and recording.

Sorry, I didn't notice your reply. Well, it certainly is marketing driven from their perspective. But from ANN's perspective, it was the opportunity to put content on the site that we could monetize with ads, and that would keep people on ANN longer.

We see a benefit from putting the Tatesc content on ANN, and while not all of our readers will like it, some will (as with every piece of content on ANN).

We charge Kadokawa companies for advertising. If you see a Kadokawa skin (for example the Tatesc awards skins last month), it means they paid for it. We don't charge for the Tatesc integration because we feel that it adds to ANN. We do need to fix the way it's integrated though.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1