• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Home Hero (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote

My Home Hero (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 19 volumes, written by Naoki Yamakawa, illustrated by Masashi Asaki)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions

Genres: drama, mystery, thriller

Themes: crime, yakuza

Plot Summary: Tetsuo Tosu, a 47-year-old office worker, and his wife, Kasen, love their daughter Reika more than anything in the world, even though she has been through a rebellious phase. So when Tetsuo visits Reika after she's started to live on her own, and she won't explain how she got bruises like she's been beaten, he decides to hide and find out what's going on.

Enter Reiko's boyfriend, Nobuto Matori, a brute who has beaten his ex-girlfriend to death and has ties to the yakuza. After he sees that Nobuto is the one responsible for the wounds on Reika's face, Tetsuo ends up killing the man. And so begins the fight of wits over life or death between "a normal, weak, middle-aged man" who is prepared to do anything to protect his family, and the fearless fighters from the underworld.

Air Date & Platform:
April 2, 2023 (Sundays)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

- Season 01

Episode 01: From Today, I Am a Killer
Episode 02: Cutting the Cake
Episode 03: The Correct Path
Episode 04: The World of Violence

Episode 05: Are You Happy?
Episode 06: Entertaining the Guest, Kasen Style
Episode 07: Mother and Mother
Episode 08: The Spider's Thread

Episode 09: The Fateful Day
Episode 10: One Thing I Did
Episode 11: Father
Episode 12: The Current Happiness

- Season 02 (Pending)

----------------------------------

Okay, this sounds really exciting. I'd never heard of this title till I started making this thread. Just the seiyuu cast, alone, sounded promising. But then I read the plot summary, and the fact that the manga is up to 19 volumes and still going makes it sound like a deep world of conspiracy, coverups, and thrills.

If it's down-to-earth enough, maybe it can even be a fraction as good as Monster was. This'll definitely be towards the top of my list for the upcoming season.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:13 am; edited 15 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this one's going to be a white knuckler if the first episode turns out to be an accurate representation of the whole series. It also had a killer opening song, no pun intended. I don't know if this is going to be Breaking Bad kind of a show where the main characters become more and more entrenched in the underworld, or if it's going to be more about the convoluted lies and mind games as they try to wriggle out of the consequences of the opening events. But I'm definitely in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh yeah, me too! What I like is the father is truly an ordinary everyman... he's not some bad-ass martial artist or some super brave guy. I like how he took care of the punk: hit to the breadbasket followed up by a rice cooker cranial massage - nice! The mom seems pretty down with the don't take no shit ethos. Yeah, I have a feeling this is gonna be quite the ride.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:39 am Reply with quote
I am actually kind of into it, despite I would think that the ingredients are the type of things I wouldn't be too into. But totally average guy doing what needs to be done against scum that would be clear danger to his daughter. They couldn't have made the "boyfriend" more unlikable.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: From Today, I Am a Killer

Summary: Tetsuo Tosu discovers his daughter's boyfriend is physically abusive, and overhears his plan to kill people and take her money. Tetsuo beats him to death in self-defense and disposes of the body with his wife, but is discovered by another gang member.

Comments: After reading the premise, I thought it was gonna' take a little longer to get to tense parts. But wholly moly, did it escalate quickly! That boyfriend was a real piece o' shit person, so I'm glad he got off'd that soon.

I'm a little disappointed in the production values. Although with how electric the story is, so far, I think I'll get by. Tetsuo seems very relatable, and I'm eager to see if his circumstances turn him into the next Heisenberg-like figure.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue May 30, 2023 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Cutting the Cake

Summary: Tetsuo helps dispose of Nobuto's body while Kubo follows Reika. Kubo checks Tetsuo's car, but he's only carrying clothes. Tetsuo and Kasen stage a fake conversation to scare off Shingo's gang. They bury Nobuto's remains, but are later attacked and captured.

Comments: Didn't expect these yakuza to be so smart; bugging the house, constantly tailing the family, and searching through all their stuff. But I'm also pleasantly surprised Tetsuo (the dad) is so resourceful. Although, I guess there has to be some sort of balance if he's to outwit all these yakuza guys. I can't believe how tense this series has gotten, and it's only the 2nd episode.

I don't know how the heck this has gotten to 20 volumes of manga. There must be a whole lotta' stuff that happens in-between just what we're seeing, now, and how far Tetsuo must get in the rest of the story.

I'm excited to see the kinds of depths he'll go to just to keep protecting his family, but also staying alive. Based on the key art, he must really get up there in the underworld hierarchy. And I could definitely see him transforming from a good, innocent dad into an underworld monster like one Walter White.

Sorry for the meh captures. There's not a lot of good art in this show, but I'm also trying not to spoil stuff.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:49 am Reply with quote
In regards to episode 2.

Well, apparently this is going to be a 3 episode anime, darn it. But I guess it's realistic. Hope they don't go all Hostel for the final episode next week.

No, seriously, I think the thing that struck me watching episode 2 was how much harder it must be for police when shows like Breaking Bad and CSI et al could be considered tutorials on disposing corpses.

Show continued to be a tense ride, and I'm still all in. I'm wondering if they're going to pull some Deus Ex Machina thing where spoiler[the daughter really does have a stalker, or one shows up as a red herring.] Don't think that really qualified as a spoiler since I'm just wondering, but I can't really see how they're going to get out of this one otherwise, or how many pieces they'll leave behind if they do. But I want to find out.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
No, seriously, I think the thing that struck me watching episode 2 was how much harder it must be for police when shows like Breaking Bad and CSI et al could be considered tutorials on disposing corpses.

I feel like the majority of criminals aren't quite that extreme. Selling drugs or trafficking people would logically be the more profitable crimes. And I think murder is a bit too sensationalized from all the movies and shows out there.

I imagine it takes a lot to actually murder a person. Realistically, unless you have a very low moral compass, an incredible amount of pent up anger that goes off at the wrong time, or are under extreme life-or-death circumstances, it's probably more effective to just beat the crap out of somebody to instill fear, have some control over them, and avoid the fallout of a dead body.

But for the show, I came up with a wild theory that Tetsuo will be able to lie his way out and eventually pull a Keyser Söze somewhere down the line. They can't kill him and Kasen (the wife) this early, so there's gotta' be something he knows or says that diffuses their suspicion. My guess is he'll say he's someone important, they'll eventually let him join them, he'll work his way up, and who the heck knows from there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I always love when a show puts a protag in a seemingly impossible situation to get out of and then gets them out of it without making you as a viewer shake your head at the complete lack of plot credibility. Well done, My Home Hero! I love this tiny family. The sleepy-eyed, mystery reading, ordinary salaryman, the unflappable wife, the clueless daughter. I really don't want anything bad to happen to any of them. Onwards.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: The Correct Path

Summary: Tetsuo and Kasen are aware of Nobuto's gang's investigation, and Tetsuo says he hired a man named Suzuki to investigate Nobuto. Kyoichi reports the results to Kubo. But with no results, Kubo demotes him and puts Takeda in charge. Tetsuo offers to help Kyoichi locate Nobuto.

Comments: I was impressed by Tetsuo's improvisation. Good thing he wore the cap and mask when Kyoichi first saw him, otherwise he'd be dead. I'm also wondering if his making up "Suzuki" will be another seed that grows into something bigger, later on.

Such a shame the production values are so low. Even if there's not a lot of actual movement, I wish they emphasized character designs and shot composition a little better to help build even more tension than there already is! Ah, well. At least the voice acting is great.

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: The World of Violence

Summary: Tetsuo and Kyoichi work together to find Nobuto, but Tetsuo threatens to kill them if they don't. They interview Hibiki, another of Nobuto's girlfriends, and learn that he ripped off his gang by carrying out a pre-planned robbery. They are coerced into intercepting a transaction between two violent gangs, but Kyoichi is shot and wounded as they try to escape.

Comments: Pretty good episode with a nice balance of character building for Tetsuo and the continued rabbit hole into the criminal underworld. His conversation with Hibiki gave that protective fatherly vibe, which felt really raw, yet honest, but also gave a little wild card information about Nobuto, which I'm sure will become pretty useful.

The awkwardly developed comradery between Tetsuo and Kyoichi was also pretty cool to see. If Kyoichi actually ends up dying from his gunshot wound, I wonder what that might do for Tetsuo. Did Tetsuo develop a little Stockholm Syndrome while being held captive? Or did Kyoichi actually soften up enough because of Tetsuo's goofy attitude and love of the mystery genre?

Which ever way it turns out, it was another crazy ending.

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Given how generally sharp the yakuza have been so far, I'm not sure why Tetsuo and Kasen think that this "video shot from behind" gambit is actually gonna work. I guess desperation makes optimists of us all? I'm also curious as to how Nobuto's father figured out that Tetsuo gave him a fake name. Also, why are Tetsuo and Kasen talking openly in their home? Surely they'd assume it's being bugged.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Are You Happy?

Summary: Tetsuo is forced to confess killing one of Kyoichi's gang members, while Kasen convinces her old college friend, Bin Tabata, to act out a scenario wearing Nobuto's clothes. Later, Tetsuo goes to a bar that Nobuto used to frequent and strikes up a conversation with a man named Yoshitatsu Matori, who turns out to be Nobuto's father.

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri May 12, 2023 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I'm having a credibility problem with this show and it boils down to this: Tetsuo and his wife must realize there is no way to hold off the yakuza forever. There's no way to make them believe that Nobuto voluntarily went for a walkabout and is never coming back. Given that, there is only one logical solution to their problem: they have to find a way to take off and assume new identities, preferably in another country. Right now, they are acting like if they do action a or action b, then at some point the yakuza is going to leave them in peace. They are too smart to believe that. Oh well, I'm just gonna have to live with this rather large plot gimme.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: Entertaining the Guest, Kasen Style

Summary: Tetsuo and Kasen manage to guess Nobuto's password and unlock his phone, but Kyoichi's gang suspect their video is a fake. Kyoichi investigates the large pot filled with earth, when Reika arrives home and Kyoichi asks her about Nobuto.

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2