• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Home Hero (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: Mother and Mother

Summary: Kyoichi leaves a note in Reika's shoe to contact him, while Kasen installs a keylogger on his laptop, enabling her to access his emails. After she finds that he plans to kill Tetsuo and frame him for Nobuto's disappearance and possible death, she decides to implement a plan "B" by planting a bag of evidence at Kyoichi's family home. But after meeting his mother, she decides not to.

Comments: For all the things Kasen keeps doing to help Tetsuo, it looks like she has, somewhat, of a limit to her morality after meeting with Kyoichi's mother.

It's interesting to get a slightly more female perspective at this point in the show. Not that Kasen or Kyoich's mother are really that deep into the seedy underbelly of the mob world. But just their little interaction and the revelation of Kyoichi's rough past gives a little more perspective and empathy on why Kyoichi is the way he is.

Reika seems a bit shallow. Although, if she eventually learns the truth about everything, I'd be curious to see how much that would develop her character. Honestly, it baffles me that the manga is currently at twenty volumes. I keep wondering just how much the story or characters might've progressed that far in.

I might even start reading the manga up to wherever the anime is, if not to compare the story, then at least for the art, as it looks pretty good from what I've seen in image searches.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu May 25, 2023 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming the reason why Kasen decided not to plant the fake evidence at Kyoichi's mother's house was because he doesn't actually live there and she wants to be sure it's planted in his actual apartment as opposed to any misgivings created by the backstory provided by his Mom. I have to admit, I find the machinations a bit hard to follow. But even I understand the cliffhanger that was set up... Tetsuo has to figure out a way not to be seen by Kyoichi.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: The Spider's Thread

Summary: When Kyoichi discovers an email was sent from his account, Tetsuo suggests Takeda may be investigating him as a suspect and that evidence may have been planted in his apartment. They find nothing, and Tetsuo begins to realize Kyoichi might be more clever and ruthless than he anticipated.

Comments: Here, I was thinking Tetsuo and Kyoichi might become comrades after they avoided getting gunned down a few episodes ago. But I guess Kyoichi's loyalty still remains with the yakuza. And since Tetsuo obviously can't die, just yet, then it looks like Kyoichi will probably get offed, soon.

I feel like Tetsuo and Kasen still have this "normal husband and wife" persona. But if you think about all the crazy stuff they've done just to fool everyone, it's kind of amazing they haven't done anything super immoral, yet. I mean, aside from murdering a guy and trying to dispose of his remains.

I'm guessing Tetsuo probably won't physically kill Kyoichi himself, and that Kyoichi's death will probably be some weird kind of happenstance that also coincidentally barely leaves Tetsuo hanging by the skin of his teeth to avoid too much suspicion.

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

So I have two questions both of which will presumably answered next week: 1) How did Kasen get into Kyoichi's apartment (remember that Tetsuo himself wasn't able to pick the lock, at least not in time) and 2) how did Tetsuo discover the combination for Kyoichi's safe? (which obviously he would have passed on to Kasen). Like I say, I think we'll find out next week because the end of this episode was a flashback to Kasen before all the gang showed up at Kyoichi's to find the "evidence." Yeah, not looking good for Kyoichi, for sure.

I'm still bothered by the fact that no matter what Tetsuo does, I don't see how the yakuza allows him to live. Like, for example, let's say they buy (as they seem to be doing) that Kyoichi is a traitor and the murderer of fellow traitor Nobuto. Does that mean that after they kill Kyoichi they're just gonna turn around and say to Tetsuo, "okay, that's that. Feel free to go back to your old life without any interference from us." Yeah, I don't think so. And it strikes me that Tetsuo and Kasen, both of whom are no fools, wouldn't think that either, so if they do it seems out of character stupid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:34 am Reply with quote
My theory is either he had something like a Bluetooth camera that allowed him to record the combination while facing the other direction. Or maybe some sort of heist staple where it is something like it is not the same safe that he had before. Although how realistic that Kasen could have somehow filled an identical safe with a lot of money and the evidence, all in the middle of the night, while physically removing the old one, seems probably more unrealistic.

Getting in there, I suspect doing something to leave the door unlocked seems unrealistic, since it is doubtful he would not have forced our hero out first. Was the door opened with a key? There could be ways to do something like create a mould of the key. Perhaps a bit more prep time in getting something that could reach the window?

These sorts of mysteries can be fun, but I rarely actually guess these types of ones.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: The Fateful Day

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ah, so that was a pretty ingenious plan with respect to getting into Kyoichi's place and getting into the safe. It was a bit of an odd decision to show us the plan in flashback because we already knew it worked. Seems to me it would have been way more tense if they had intercut Kasen doing her thing with the ticking clock of the others on the way. Especially when she learned that three false combinations resulted in the safe going inactive for 10 minutes. Anyway, poor Tetsuo and his family aren't out of the woods yet...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Considering it didn't look like the last episode yet, I did think it strange that it looked like the whole thing had been scapegoated.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: The One Thing I Did

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I basically like this show. Which makes it so disappointing that in the second to last episode, the show decided it had to make Tetsuo one of the stupidest characters I've ever come across. First, his decision to go to his daughter's apartment for a nap instead of going straight home was moronic, but hey the show needed him to be there so that he could encounter Nobuto's dad. Fine. So what does he do after that psycho laid out in graphic detail what would happen to his wife and daughter (and then him)? First, he decides breaking the douchebag's phone takes precedence over actually keeping an eye on him and gets hit from behind. Having made that mistake once, you figured he'd learn and not make the EXACT same mistake again, right? WRONG!!!

Somehow this idiot manages to let Nobuto get a strangulation card AND let's him get behind him. Oh, ffs. This is just piss poor writing. Yes, we get that we needed to end with a cliffhanger and that Nobuto's dad needed to get the upper hand, but did you really have to turn Tetsuo into a mental defective to achieve that? Apparently so.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was confusing how he got behind him with the cord, since it looked like he was looking down on him lying on the floor while he was talking to him. Maybe I just got confused between talking and thinking though. In any case, I don't see how he let him sneak up behind him. The logistics just don't work.

That aside, I really can't see any way out of this for him. I guess the cops will be key, though in the long run, they kinda make things worse.

Blood- wrote:
Does that mean that after they kill Kyoichi they're just gonna turn around and say to Tetsuo, "okay, that's that. Feel free to go back to your old life without any interference from us."

Dude, you totally called it! Laughing If only they'd managed to actually kill Kyoichi (which I'm not really rooting for, despite his turning to the dark side).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 11: Father

Screen Caps:

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well, the story is definitely not over, but I guess that was an okay stopping place. Hopefully, there will be more but you can't always count on it. Anyway, a reasonably entertaining title. I rated it Decent. At least it wasn't one of those shows that when I got to the end I go, "why the hell did I not drop this?"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
So, that is the end? There are some dangling threads still like the yakuza that would certainly want to find out what happened to their boss, while he was just in their clutches in seeing a lot of things, and one guy in particular who had figured most things out. It does feel a little odd that we went from Tetsuo solving everything through brains and surprising guile, to towards the end giving up surprise to an established evil guy who said he would kill the family. And then it turning into a brawl where it looked like the villain was doing the more tricksy moves, Tetsuo mostly used brawn and dumb luck, and then just buried the body out in the wild, somehow getting a ute and sneaking the body. It's a bit out of step of the whole detective brain moves that characterised earlier parts.

I would only think as some sort of theme it might make more sense for whatever comes next, as the implication looks there that the body might be revealed by the typhoon. Or maybe that unlike the first time he would find it harder to keep it out of mind because he was slopier. I am seeing online that there is more parts, something about a part 2 and 3.

Anyway, I can say that I really enjoyed parts, it kind of setting up for me as one of the best starts of the season. Maybe nothing like amazing on a technical merit, but narrative wise had me really engaged.

My rating will be Good (7/10), which is worth seeing, but I might have rated it a tad higher if it didn't just end in a way that leaves me a little confused how it kind of devolved into what it did. Perhaps it was all intentional in a way that if explained and or the following parts of the story would make more apparent, but as it is standing without having something like an essay telling me how going from wit to what it did, that is where I am.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: The Current Happiness

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2