• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Legendary Hero is Dead! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:00 pm Reply with quote

(The) Legendary Hero is Dead! (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 20 volumes, by Subaruichi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Liden Films

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy

Themes: ecchi, harem, parody, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Touka is just your average (slightly perverted) farmer in the village of Cheza. While he daydreams about being a hero and getting the girl, the real hero, Sion, is out battling demons that threaten to invade the world. But one day, Touka accidentally kills Sion. Touka quickly buries Sion's body to hide the evidence, but wakes up the next day to discover he is no longer in his own body…

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I fully admit to being biased in favour of scuzzy, pervy main characters. Perhaps because they remind me of myself? Hard to say. In any case, I find this one reasonably funny. My fantasy of having a 'light" season where I'm not trying to keep up with a bajillion titles is starting to slip away...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 I fully admit to being biased in favour of scuzzy, pervy main characters..

It's a bit of a highwire act. Part of the trick is, the characters have to be scummy enough that I'm laughing when horrible things happen to them (Kazuma dies so many times in Konsosuba that it becomes a running joke), but the characters also have to have enough of a bottom line that I'm not just constantly annoyed by them (Combatants Will Be Dispatched fell on the other side of funny for me, personally, but I can see why some people might like it).

There are other factors. Is the character gradually working towards some kind of redemption, or at least growing up a little? Or is the plot just pandering to them and their fetishes and excesses and it's all viva la scumbag? Is the show trying too hard, or does it have a genuine heart? Does the anime unknowingly step on some unsuspected psychological landmines from my childhood? Oops. Forget that last one.

This show is on the cusp for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
I clearly have a higher tolerance for scuzz than you do, Edjwald, whcih I attribute to the fact that the milk of human kindness flows through your veins whereas I possess a stony, dark heart. Ha ha, sucks to be you! Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:32 am Reply with quote
The first episode did not impress me all that much and I have not found a hook yet to keep me interested. That said, the three episode rule is there for a reason (though the rule is not perfect).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I clearly have a higher tolerance for scuzz than you do, Edjwald, whcih I attribute to the fact that the milk of human kindness flows through your veins whereas I possess a stony, dark heart. Ha ha, sucks to be you! Wink

I'm pretty sure the stuff that runs through my veins is Green Mountain coffee, the waters of the fount of wisdom, and, of course, the pure love of anime...

(Yikes, I cringed myself)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1