• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
[img]cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max500x600/encyc/A24632-1403065947.1675218155.jpg/img]

Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 4 Volumes, written by Shinji Futa, illustrated by Susumu Kuroi)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Geek Toys and Seven

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes:

Plot Summary: Veteran adventurer Nick's life is falling apart. Despite all the knowledge and expertise he's devoted to his adventuring party, his respected leader kicked him out, his girlfriend dumped him, and his teammates shamelessly accused him of embezzlement. Tired, heartbroken, and looking for a drink, Nick chances upon a few kindred spirits who are jaded as he is. Together, these disillusioned adventurers form an unstoppable team out to save their bleak, depressing world.

Air Date & Platform:
January 10, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
What I liked:

- It's not just another garden variety RPG rip off.

- the abused characters aren't perfect. In fact, the coping mechanisms they've come up with to deal with their traumas are problematic. Which to me, is more interesting.

- The show fleshed out three of the four backstories and provided a pretty solid foundation in one episode.

What I was "Meh" about.

To me, the show felt like one of the My Hero Academia first-of-the-season episodes where the emphasis on catching people up makes it feel more like filler than the actual beginning of the series. Not bad necessarily, but sort of a limbo episode feeling.
'
That said, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed that we have to wait to get Dragon Girl's bitter backstory, but what ya gonna do? The first episode accomplished its task: i.e. made me want to come back and see more. Not convinced I won't drop this at some point, but willing to see more.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying the show so far. It’s a slightly more thoughtful take on your standard fantasy D&D-type show. I like how they show the characters slowly learning to trust each other, that it doesn’t happen overnight.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
I'm still on board with the show, but I don't think it did itself any favors by dragging out the character intros as much as it did. I think the backgrounds could have been condensed into faster montages of shorter scenes without sacrificing too much. I'm not really complaining so much as lamenting because I think the show probably lost a lot of viewers early on, and I like it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:01 am Reply with quote
In the Handyman thread you mentioned "the tie that binds" but interesting how here at Ep3 that is literally what we have. The "ultimate power"? It's our mutual bonds and gifts, being able to work as one when our relationships are good. A neat takeaway form this unassuming little show and a testament to the truth of the adage that a good story can trump poor execution. The issues with the amination as they walked down the stairway into the "dungeon" were worse than I've seen in a while, but I still really liked the episode despite it.

However, I have to admit to some cynicism that I was expecting the sword to be lying and this was supposed to be a trap and that it would use their bonds of developing friendship against them as an antagonist when the golem showed up. Now there is a new party member who apparently is the narrator...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Something is niggling at me from this eppie. The Survivors whole deal is that they've been screwed over by others: lied to, betrayed, abandoned, etc. So it seems kind of cheesy of them to screw over the guild that hired them to fetch the Sword of Bonds. You'd think a group of people who have been screwed over would hold themselves to a higher standard of conduct, but I guess not. On a lighter note, I did chuckle at Curran's persistent opinion that the Sword was broken because there was no blade.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
As to the sword of bonds

(1) Yah, the thematic significance is pretty hard to argue. I can see this leading to some finale where all four have to do the Power Ranger thing and unite into one huge can of whoop-ass.

(2) Screwing over their boss did seem a bit sketchy. But the alternatives were (1) turning a sentient being who'd helped them in to what might be slavery. (2) Having to pay whatever penalties were built into their contract and taking a serious hit to their rep. And apparently the magic item they did hand over was still a legit, serviceable weapon. It just wasn't Excalibur or whatever..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, Edjwald, Edjwald, Edjwald... you see what you just did there? You're being an unethical behaviour enabler! Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, Edjwald, Edjwald, Edjwald... you see what you just did there? You're being an unethical behaviour enabler! Wink

I should have a shirt made that says "Will jail house lawyer for food."
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the 1/31 episode. Bout time the karma train started swinging back around to the station. Let the payback begin.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I should have a shirt made that says "Will jail house lawyer for food."

It's posts like this that make me wish ANN had a "like" button. Laughing
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
After Eps 6 and 7, I do believe that this show has developed a nasty streak of morality. Which I like, in spite of the less than stellar animation. It is not quite overbearing, yet. The storytelling is a bit uneven, but is still inside my limits for clunky-ness. I think the staff is really trying here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

The highlight of this episode for me was when Big Cat was trying to get Blondie to tell him where Nick was but they weren't using his name. They just continued describing him in a way that was obviously him but without identifying him. And the woman (Bell) kept on saying, "but you know him, right?" Not quite sure why, but the whole exchange cracked me up.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:49 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
After Eps 6 and 7, I do believe that this show has developed a nasty streak of morality. Which I like, in spite of the less than stellar animation. It is not quite overbearing, yet. The storytelling is a bit uneven, but is still inside my limits for clunky-ness. I think the staff is really trying here.

I think it's a bit uneven too, and kind of average, but I do like that it's not a paint by the numbers story.

I think part of the heavy-handed morality stuff comes from the author having some point they badly want to make through the series. And it has something to do with the whole "I wasn't evil to begin with" thing and something to do with how taking the easy/sleazy way out leads to unhappiness in the long run. The sociopaths who preyed on the naive, idealistic MCs at the beginning seem to have prospered, but it's not that simple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2