• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tony K. and Stark700 Anime Appreciation Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:36 am Reply with quote
We are about to begin a new anime season and as usual Tony K. and Stark700 have been busy preparing Series Discussion threads for the upcoming shows. For those of us who use those threads, we know that making one is a bit of a deal if you follow the proper format for the Opening Post. You have to post an image from the show then list a bunch of information below it. It's not something you can just toss off in a few seconds. We also know there are a TON of new shows every season. These two fine posters don't get paid for doing this and are rendering a huge service to this site. Thank you very much gents, your time and work is very much appreciated!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome!

Part of it is a little of my OCD to keep things looking organized and pretty, the other part is to stay in the know of what's coming out. I wish I had more time to actually post little reviews and discuss these shows to help maintain my fandom. But I'm basically at or commuting to/from work between 8AM-6PM, trying to exercise from 6PM-7PM, speed-watching one live-action movie (usually takes 30 minutes, give or take, depending on the movie), eating dinner, then being in bed between 10PM-11PM and sleeping till 7AM every weekday. And I use weekends to catch up on the sleep I didn't get during the week, as well as watching more movies.

I could definitely fit some speed-watching for anime somewhere in the evenings during the week. I just need to manage my time better Anime cry.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I tried to fill this role to a point at one time. It's hard! And I only bothered doing ones for shows that I was interested in.

Gud Jobu!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The other thing I forgot to mention is that somebody - I'm assuming you, Tony K. - is keeping the ANN Series Discussion Index up to date. I love the Index because maybe I'm just super incompetent using ANN's search function but I have a hard time finding a specific series discussion thread with it. So having an alphabetized, hotlinked index is awesome.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the Index is all me. I keep meaning to go through all the older titles in the Master list to update 'em (mainly to replace the Japanese names with the official English one for easier reference, and maybe edit the opening posts to spruce 'em up to my new spiffy standard, if I have the time). But I never realized there are 30+ titles per season, every season, to make new threads for. It's a lotta' work!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:16 am Reply with quote
I refuse to praise a good for nothing Dallas cowboys fan. Laughing

I'll see you in a few months in fantasy Tony. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Made some updates to the formatting of each seasonal slate.

Old Way
- A giant alphabetical list with Day and Platform after the hyperlink for each title.

New Way
- At the top of each slate is a Google Doc link with all titles minus the hyperlinks, so you can copy, paste, and organize for your own lineups.
- Also organized each title alphabetically within a Day marker, and then the Platform next to each title.

Check out the difference.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
Sweet changes, Tony K.! But man, you do seem to love coming up with ways to make more work for yourself. Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This is maybe a controversial statement. Especially from a person employed as a librarian/archivist: In a way, you could say that the index has become unnecessary.
The index used to be more necessary because only some shows had pages made for them and you used it to see if a show had a page or if you needed to make one. In the past, the site also had a bigger problem of multiple threads being made.
Currently, as has been noted, basically all of them get pages, whether anyone wants to post in them or not. The encyclopedia could be considered the index.
So... really, all you really need to do is a search for anything from the past few years.
But, the direct links can help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I STRENUOUSLY disagree and it's for the reason I mentioned in an earlier post: the search function at this site seems to suck. For example, as a test, I just tried to find the Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear series discussion thread. I first tried searching just Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear in the forums and that didn't bring up the discussion thread I wanted in the first few pages of search results, so I tried searching for Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear series discussion and once again couldn't get the thread I wanted in the first few pages of search results.

Searching for the discussion thread of a currently airing show is no big deal because you know it's either going to be on the first or second page of the series discussion forum so you just scroll and manually find it. But if you are looking for a series discussion thread that is older, good luck finding it without that awesome index.

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, TONY K. - HE'S AN EVIL LIBRARIAN!!! Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Are you using the site search or Forum search? They're different.
If you search kuma kuma bear in the forum search and limit to the series discussion section, you should get it immediately.
I use the forum search to find specific posts I've made with great accuracy. Like, recently we were talking about when I purchased the Space Brothers BDs I found my post in the retail "What I just bought" very quickly.
I do see a point though... Not many are are as skilled practitioners of Google-Fu as I am.

...I also just noticed, you can't seem to get anywhere the same search functionality on the phone... Which I rarely use but I happen to be on now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
How do you restrict your search to a specific forum? When I use the search bar, I'm given the option of searching 1) the entire site, 2) the Enyclopedia or 3) the forums. I always choose the forums, but of course that covers all the forums, not just, say, the Series Discussion Forum.

Is there a way to search just the Series Discussion Forum, sensei?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
On the PC, click on "Forum" in the header bar to get the dropdown menu. Under "Forum Information" in the bottom right is hidden a search function that is solely for the forum. You can search for terms and/or author and display results as topics or single posts.

But unfortunately, I just realized that it's seemingly missing from the version I see on my phone .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks like that is missing from more than just your phone. I'm using a mac and can't seem to access the function you described.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Step 1:

Step 2:

Result:

This on PC. I also have a Mac, but hopefully this will suffice, as I don't think it would be too different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2