• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You Were Experienced, I Was Not: Our Dating Story (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote

You Were Experienced, I Was Not: Our Dating Story (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 7 volumes, written by Makiko Nagaoka, illustrated by magako)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: ENGI

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Ryūto Kashima, a gloomy social outcast, and Runa Shirakawa, a popular girl at school are dating. Their relationship begins when Ryūto has to ask Runa out as part of losing a game, and she ends up going out with him after saying, "Well, I'm free right now, after all."

They have completely different social circles and hobbies. But as they hang out with each other, they begin recognizing, and even accepting, those differences as something to bond over.

Air Date & Platform:
October 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I haven't been having great luck with rom-coms lately, but with the genre I'm kinda like Charlie Brown when Lucy says, "I won't pull the football away this time... honest!"
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel like I haven't been having great luck with rom-coms lately

Same, depending on streaming availability. I quite like romcoms, provided the leads have good chemistry, and the plot/characterizations some forward momentum. Everything else is icing. But having both of those present through a show's runtime is a feat few manage.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Plus that it helps a lot if the characters, especially the main ones, are at least semi likeable. It is hard to stay engaged when a rom-com only has horrible people in it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
So, having watched the first episode, the series is probably not for me. I tend to go for the fluffy/not too much drama with lots of happy moments type of romcoms. This one is not that. It is the story of a girl that had a lot of unhealthy relationships (if you can call them that) and due to those she has kind of been broken in some ways. As for our mc, he stutters even more than the average super insecure romcom protagonist and he kinds of just goes with the flow for everything. The whole thing is not really funny or charming, so I am kind of left with nothing to keep me watching.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
1-2:

Say it with me: one, two, three--

Not-My Dress Up Darling!

Are we seeing a pattern here: the Unlikely Couple where the guy is the "Loser" and the girl is the kind that is way out of his league? I don't have a problem with this narrative, but there must be something about the relationship that makes it work. My Dress Up Darling worked because of the chemistry between them: one is completely clueless about otaku stuff, whereas is really into it.

What about this one? Extroversion versus Introversion? Experience versus Inexperience (in what, exactly)? I must admit: Kashima's simping over Shirakawa is a bit irritating, but I can relate to how he reads too much into everything she does (I was like that too when I was his age). I am quite surprised by how fast this show is going:

Boy: "I like you."
Girl: "Cool! Let's have sex."
Boy: "Hold up, let's take it easy for now."
And then, his old crush comes along and now we have a love rival!

Whoa, take it easy. Why the rush?

Rom-coms are okay for me as a way to cool off from intense shows like JJK. I can appreciate that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

To explain some of my feelings coming in, I do have a bit of a thing for gyaru characters. After a number of years trying to figure out why, I think it is that I quite like a character being able to boldly show their femineity. Some of my understanding goes that many can see it as the sort of style of someone who just wants male attention, but most of the time I think are to see most men/boys to actually feel intimidated by that aesthetic, and or create rumours of the character for dressing that way. Really, my understanding that at least most must understand they will be looked down upon, but still keep use the fashion as expression. Is it weird that I see it through a feminist perspective?

I have been burned before though with gyaru anime. No doubt Dress Up Darling, with many people liking Marin, I remember being devastated by a show called My First Girlfriend is a Gal. What I went in excited then, turned into just fetishisation of gyaru characters, which more exploitive rather than respectful of those who use the style, and a shit protagonist that I really wanted the heroine to dump. Not a good harem show that just wanted to shove boobs into the insert character.

Finally getting to this show. I was pretty scared with aspects like the two friends characters that are like one of the biggest problems with these sorts of shows, which feel like an attempt to make the MC look better in comparison while still being sympathetic to skeevy characteristics. And kind of to the namesake of the show, which I think is practically just saying that she is a slut, who will be made good our innocent main character. Probably with more warning signs in the second episode, which among other things brought in the idea of a rival crush, who will probably force her way in.

But I did actually quite like the third episode. For one we finally got Runa's best friend character, and her characterisation fits perfectly into the wanting to protect Runa if Ryuto is using her for shallow reasons, and also make sure she is happy. I quite like that she is intimidating while not actually hostile, she feels him out, tells him info about Runa's birthday that would make her happy. And there is no hint of some garbage like she will join a harem or something.

I like that the episode showed that people do discriminate Runa for being a gyaru, with rumours going around, but totally doesn't fit her as she is not the stereotype of a shallow trope. Ryuto himself having the character of being a nerd that will talk on about something he gets into, some of what she is interested in but stopping if she is being overwhelmed, I think is good. And I also like that the plot is pointing that the super traditionally nice looking girl that should be the shoe in for romance, likely isn't as nice as she looks by most likely starting the nasty rumours about Runa because she probably looks down on her, and keeps trying to make moves to steal him away.

And good that he seems to have grown a spine by not keeping it a secret that they are dating, because there shouldn't be anything to be embarrassed about. Her already saying as such while explaining she respects his boundaries, and I would like to believe he would not want her to think he would be embarrassed by her. It hasn't been perfect so far, it could get bad, but so far I think it will be worth watching.

I like to think that a lot of gyaru kawaii/feminine culture, of liking boba tea, makeup and fashion, should go in hand with geek culture, where a lot of what someone likes should be respected in the face that a good deal of society might look at it as cringe or basic.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:07 am Reply with quote
3:

Ryuto: "Why the change in her demeanor?"

If it were me: "Holy sh*t, people spying on me meeting a classmate and talking about it? WTH"

On the surface, this show reminds me a lot of My Dress-Up Darling, but now I get vibes of Rental Girlfriend, a show I can't stand. Thankfully, it changed when Ryuto finally stepped up and declared his relationship, instead of avoiding the problem (and the show gladfully dragging it throughout the show).

I'm guessing that Maria will play the Jealous One, and Ryuto will try to fight it (thereby making it their running act). Whether Ryuto will completely get over her or not remains to be seen, but I really wish he would; otherwise, his spinelessness will drive me nuts.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I would like this show a lot more if Runa and Ryuto weren't terminally boring human beings.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
4:

Maria being the one spreading those rumors? Saw that miles away. Her being Runa's twin sister? Still a trope, but still didn't that one coming (partially because the show is moving pretty fast).

I'm wondering at the direction this show is heading. Clearly, it's about Runa and Ryuto's blossoming relationship (I also expect them to have sex at the end of the show but never mind). But now there's this subplot where Maria becomes this villain of the show. Why? Seems like a plot device that doesn't do anything except maybe pushing Runa and Ryuto ever closer eventually. Maria literally doesn't want to be second, yet ironically (and even in a meta way) the show is treating her as one.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I feel like I would like this show a lot more if Runa and Ryuto weren't terminally boring human beings.

Ditto. I have zero emotional investment in them. Or literally anyone in this show.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Im loving it actually. I kind of think these 2 sweet kids are just wonderful, and Im having a lot of fun.

Runa having an evil twin is, admittedly, a bit weird. But you have to have SOME conflict in these things.
I wonder if Runas other friend will eventually get to do anything. Or you know... a name.
(She probably has a name, but I dont know it).

Anyway I love the show. Its cute.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
Man, evil twin was right! Maria is horrid.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
6–7:

Man, I reeeeeally don't care about Ryuto's buddies.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:08 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
6–7:

Man, I reeeeeally don't care about Ryuto's buddies.

Even more of that in episode 8. God I was so sick when they continued to call Nicole "demon gyaru", when she is like the coolest character in the show. And then even grosser when the guy made a comment about her being a virgin or not.

I did think it was a kind of cool idea of a scene where the two girls mentioned themselves being a bit of otaku in their interests, despite being gyaru. But pretty unhelpful when them kind of doing so was met with blank stares and exhaustion from the boys, because oh no girly topics that they have no interest in. You would think that a show about bridging of people of two types of cliques (is that the word?) would bother to show one group trying to make an effort in a social setting.

Maybe it hits differently as I had a personal journey in being allowed to not just show some interest in geeky stuff, but also some more feminine things. Complementing someone on their nails is something in particular that I have done a few times, maybe because I do a shitty job of painting my own.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
8:

That was the most non-exciting survival game ever.

We are going to learn why Shirakawa wear that earring only on one side, right?

DuskyPredator wrote:

I did think it was a kind of cool idea of a scene where the two girls mentioned themselves being a bit of otaku in their interests, despite being gyaru. But pretty unhelpful when them kind of doing so was met with blank stares and exhaustion from the boys, because oh no girly topics that they have no interest in. You would think that a show about bridging of people of two types of cliques (is that the word?) would bother to show one group trying to make an effort in a social setting.

On most occasions, it's hard for people to connect with others who are really into their hobbies. But on a deeper level, it's an opportune time to wonder why they're into whatever they're into, fringe interests or not. I'm personally into gym culture and I can really turn people off with the stuff I can talk about, but if you wonder why I'm into it in the first place, it can be an enlightening experience. This kind of experience applies to anyone.

I just never expected anything like this from this show because 1) most high school kids don't think this way, and 2) I would never think this show can do such a thing; it's wayyyy too deep for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2