• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm in Love with the Villainess (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm in Love with the Villainess (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 5 volumes, written by Inori, illustrated by Hanagata)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Platinum Vision

Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance

Themes: isekai, reincarnation, school, yuri

Plot Summary: Ordinary office worker Rei Ouhashi wakes up in the body of the protagonist of her favorite otome game, Revolution. To her delight, the first person to greet her is also her favorite character, Claire Francois–the main antagonist of the story. Now, Rei is determined to romance Claire instead of the game's male leads.

Air Date & Platform:
October 2, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

FYI, the brunette is Rei/Rae and the blonde is Claire.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like yuri should be one of the themes. I'll check it out but don't have super high hopes for this.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
You're right, it should be yuri. I had one tab open for the Wikipedia page that listed yuri, but then one tab open for MAL that said girl love. I just saw "girl love" and translated it to "shoujo ai" in my head without thinking. I'll switch it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I wasn't familiar with the phrase shoujo ai before but based on some quick reading, it sounds like it's a synonym for yuri, so I don't think you were wrong to use it. If I had known what it meant, I wouldn't have bothered mentioning yuri. Yuri a punchier, though. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn there was a distinction between yaoi/yuri and shounen/shouji ai. I always thought the latter was the more serious version (actually getting up close and physical), whereas the former was the tamer version (subtle undertones, but never quite crossing that physical threshold).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:39 am Reply with quote
I think that's probably right. In which case I suspect yuri is the better description for this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Delicious queer anime focused on villainous character.

It has to be a weird development that I too kind of grew into liking the sort of overblown ojou-sama character, and villainous character continue to be in. Also an unapologetic lesbian main character.

Clair doesn't yet seem to be returning same feelings, rather more interested in a guy, so chances will be bi, At least Rae seemed supportive in encouraging Clair to do what she likes, which seems pretty healthy. Even if a lot of Rae's other actions are not really welcomed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
I won't be following this but here's a show you can finally watch without having to put on your well-worn pair of yuri goggles, DP! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh, I didn't expect an actual serious discussion of sexuality, including on homophobia and refuting the idea of just being the gender of someone they fell in love with. Rae said that she is probably gay, finds it unlikely that she would fall in love with a guy, and that gender played a part in her same sex attraction. And Claire was told off for saying something like thinking that she is in danger because Rae is attracted to girls, even if specifically her, because she wouldn't like it if a guy did the same to her.

The possible uncomfortable element was going to be if Rae would force her feelings onto Claire, but she pretty much right here said that she respects Claire own romantic interests in other, and what her claimed sexuality is. Even though chances will be she might be bi or something.

And we were clued in that seems to have been hurt before being part of a minority sexuality, assumedly being rejected and losing friends that must not have taken to earnest feelings. So Rae is purposefully making her confessions come across as a bit silly, because she is afraid of rejection from being more vulnerable, but also will not deny her sexuality.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Looks like a new character introduced in Manaria, who for the heroine of the story would help keep other parties busy so the heroine can focus on the love interest of choice. Unfortunately for Rae, Manaria is heavily coded as a lesbian, who is supposed to take Claire's attention, with a history and I might even say implied crush on Manaria. I suppose this might be a hint that Claire is bisexual.

There must be some flavour of irony of a character that Rae really doesn't like happens to be a should be ally and another lesbian. But more than jealousy she looks like real upset that Manaria is like the better version of her. Kind of hope though that Manaria will end up being a wingman and will try to help Rae show that her feelings are real.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I think that they confirmed that Manaria was actually playing wingman, the thing she was supposed to do for the love interests, only really to force Rae to act, and Claire to also open up. She did say that Rae was her real target, so it whether she really is that thirsty, acted just to benefit the girls romance, or a mix. It was though funny seeing Rae act just like Clair does to her, only to Manaria. It did otherwise sound like Manaria unknowingly forced herself onto a maid, so she isn't all innocent.

But in general at the end Claire did return Rae's feelings, as much as a tsundere like her can. The little slip about making Rae the bride brings some interesting thoughts, I guess to the whole queer relationship thing that it wasn't just herself. Also cute that the rest of the cast are fully in support, including Claire's would be bully friends.

Really enjoyed the show. The highlight was probably when they had the frank discussion of Rae being gay, and not cheapening it as just happening to fall in love with someone of the same gender. That sort of thing feels so rare in anime, that I would say that a particular kind of viewer would say it exists in Japanese culture. But in general I wouldn't really point any problems with the show. I might even say in terms of queer themes and such, it beats out the other villainess isekai anime.

My rating will be Very good (8/10),
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1