• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk of Gluttony (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:48 am Reply with quote
I can only speak for myself, but I see the term edge lord as appropriate when a character shows certain traits. Usually this entails dark clothing, hating the world/people in it, wanting revenge, wanting more POWER, you get the gist. The problem is that it is also used when an anime is simply dark setting/theme wise and thus the term has gotten kind of murky. A character can be an edge lord for wanting revenge, but that depends on several other factors.

On a side note, this discussion has given this anime a fair bit of attention.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Welp, Fate doesn't seem to fit the definition by any reasonable criteria that I'm familiar with based on the second episode. He's basically become a vampire, and the show gives every indication that there will be struggles to retain his humanity further in, but at this point, calling him an edgelord is like calling Bruce Banner an edgelord before he ever hulks out.

My question is whether the sword's chummy routine is an act or not.

On a semi-related note, I think there are five anime that have been using backgrounds infused with crimson skies this season. I've been seeing a lot of red.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
More like cursed, it seems like it will be increasingly hard to keep his hunger under control and eventually it will be near impossible to not starve/go crazy. Yeah, you get a crazy amount of power and abilities due to the skill, but you can never stop hunting and need to hunt bigger game to keep up. I also get what you are saying, he is kind of dangling between an edgelord and a vigilante.

As for the sword, it knows too much and basically nothing is clear about its past, so hard to say at the moment.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote
I still dislike the "gameification" of fantasy settings, unless you do something very unique with the idea- Banished from the Heroes Party as an example. But that's clearly not going away so I'll have to get used to it, I guess. It just bothers me how completely unnecessary it is for this show.

Fate is OP, but there is a cost to him being such. I hope that is explored, perhaps as a consequence to his feeding needs. Maybe he cleans out the monster population too thoroughly, meaning he needs to range further and further afield so he's more and more absent from his duties? Something like that- I just don't want the downside to be ignored now that it's been established.

I think, as of this episode, that I have to conclude that the show is not nearly as edgy/grimdark as the premise and cover images led me to assume. Fate's...just too nice of a kid, which the narrative seems to support. I don't mind that- he's likeable enough, as is Greed.

Overall, despite my grievances with the storytelling choices, I'm fairly positively inclined toward the show.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I just had a thought: with Fate's skill being called Gluttony, then finding a sword named Greed, I wonder if there will be other characters, items, skills, or places named after the other deadly sins (pride, wrath, envy, lust, and sloth). Could be cool if those other sins were manifested in some other shape or form.

I'm also still eagerly waiting for those other Holy Knight a-holes to get their comeuppance. Would love for Fate to knock them all on their butts, at least once apiece. Maybe he'll do so with his vigilante persona.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yup, continuing to like this. Clearly, Fate's Gluttony skill is gonna become a real problem at some point. I like Greed's Powering Up feature and I like that there is a price to be paid for it. But hell, a magic bow that never runs out of arrows and never misses is a pretty sweet upgrade. I have to assume that Greed eventually becomes a howitzer that launches nuclear grade shells...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the real question is if Gluttony's hunger will ever stop growing after reaching a certain level. If not, then at some point it will no longer be sustainable. If our mc grows enough then he might not to feed on something like dragons to keep Gluttony from acting up and those would probably be limited or hard to find.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well, this weeks episode made me see Roxy as less of an airhead and more of a genuinely good (probably too good considering the context) young teenager who's been forced into a complex situation way out of her depth by the untimely death of her father. Again, no subtlety here, but it was hard not to like her, and hard not to hate the not so holy knights.

In a way, this episode was unfair. It made me want a happy ending, when logic tells me that the best case scenario for a set up like this one is for Fate to go out in a blood soaked sacrifice play.

Here's hoping that in the next to last chapter/episode, he absorbs a skill called "Just Kidding."....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you can't accuse the show of being subtle in any way, but it is pretty effective. Though I expect that any issues or opponents will be solved/eaten sooner or later. In the case of a few Holy Knights I am looking forward to it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03

A good character-building episode for Roxy. The romantic subtext was starting to bud, as well, which could make future endeavors difficult between her and Fate. As good a guy as he seems, I'm confident the whole vigilante-Gluttony-fulfilling thing will not be kind on their chances of having an actual romance. I just hope it doesn't end tragically. But with all the weird fantasy skills that potentially exist in this world, maybe there's something that'll make things manageable. As for the other A-Holy Knights, I look forward to their eventual beat-downs/demises.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, quite a few things are shady in the 4th episode. Greed staying silent on that woman with the huge black axe is suspect as hell. I expect that he knows who she is and given that she also wields a black weapon, well probably another sin weapon to boot. As for Roxy being chosen to go on a suicide campaign just like her father, yeah, I am noy buying into that being a coincidence either. The kingdom wants to get rid of the Hart family pretty badly.

Otherwise there was a bit of downtime this episode, but not much between kobolds showing up and meeting the mother.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The introduction of someone else who's got a similar curse (that's what I'm calling it) can only be a good thing. Based on the way goblins aren't doing it for Fate and his appetite any longer, he's going to need some expert advice soon. Otherwise, the only way to stay in the area is to start hunting humans on a regular basis.

And you know, I don't trust that sword.

Anyhow, the show might not have a light touch when it comes to depicting good and evil, but it has done a commendable job building up to next week's smackdown.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
Well, that was a pretty satisfying beatdown Fortunately for dark fantasy plot purposes, it looks like they're not going to run out of scumbags anytime soon, not with the village chief running for father of the year. That said, it was cool to see one of the sociopathic stock villains turn out to be a decent person after dealing with the birth of a child and the death of his wife.

I'm a little surprised that Fate is letting his skills hang out. Not only that, but he's wearing the same outfit and wielding the same sword as "Corpse." I thought he was trying to stay under the radar with the whole double identity thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I watch a ton of fantasy anime but I can't remember the last time gargoyles popped up which seems kind of strange given they're pretty cool monsters. Er, at least I think so. Has anybody seen the animated series Gargoyles from the mid-90s? I checked and it's streaming on Disney+ so I'm definitely gonna revisit that title. I remember quite liking the episodes I watched back then. Mind you, I was a mere pup in my early 30s at that point, so what did I know?

Oh, Fate, Fate, Fate... don't you know you're supposed to GIVE drugged candy to little girls instead of taking it from them??? WHO SAID THAT???

Greed has upgraded to a Death Scythe. I tells ya, his evolution into a Tomahawk cruise missile can't be far off...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
One baddie down, tons more to go. I like how Fate got what he needed and then got rid of his former tormentor, no bullshit about forgiveness in this anime. With Roxy going off on her suicide mission Fate is now free to roam the lands and power up. As for that friendly town chief, one can hope he gets his next episode. Not everyone in the town seems rotten though, so it seems worth saving....maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4