• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shy (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Shy (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 23 volumes, by Bukimi Miki)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: 8 Bit

Genres: action, drama, science fiction

Themes: robots, superheroes, superpowers

Plot Summary: Earth was on the brink of a third World War when super-powered individuals came forth from each country around the globe, ending the conflict and ushering in a new era of relative peace.

Among those heroes, Japan is represented by a timid young girl known as “Shy.” She may spend more time worrying about her own shortcomings than she does battling villains, but she'll show the world that despite it all she still has the heart of a hero.

Air Date & Platform:
October 2, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Sounds like a mostly-international-female-version of Justice League. 20 volumes of manga seems like a lot, so it must be popular for a reason. The key art makes me think it'll be more on the peppy side, but I'm secretly hoping it has a dark side, a la (The) Boys (2019). Well, maybe not that dark, but a little something surprising to offset the pep.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope this show has some comedy and that the comedy is effective. Professor Has No Life (aka: me) shall give it the ole college try.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I swear Blood-, it isn't my yuri goggles, the main character having like two panic attacks in the first episode when being up close to a cute girl her age and a hot older women, I am going to diagnose her with the gay.

I did really enjoy the first episode, and really I am a bit annoyed that out of the 5 new shows I am starting today, I chose this as the first one that I thought wouldn't be that good and I would probably drop. I empathise a lot on the whole anxiety thing, so it is really easy for me to connect with our heroine. Although I sadly am not in fact a superhero.

Also, I don't know if anime has ruined me with other series, but parts of me keeping looking for the other shoe drop. Most of the stuff here is pretty good, I can already see myself okay with a season, but there is like this instinct telling me that there will be a twist, like it would get darker. I am thinking some sort of plot twist, with my current weird outlandish theory that the fact that it makes little sense to have picked this random shy Japanese girl, that maybe the forces picking heroes are not just going off of who would be the most saviour like. Maybe pulling from some other random anime, but what if the aliens are just using it all as entertainment, and especially choosing a shy teenage girl as like a joke.

Something about the empress kind of gave me this thought of if everything she said about be noble, was just full of shit.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 am Reply with quote
If I'm getting the premise - and it doesn't seem deceptively tricky so far -this show isn't really a super hero offering so much as a magical girl anime with a few bells and whistles. Super heroes and villains aren't all over the place like in "My Hero Academia." or "Concrete Revolution." They're a few select individuals - mostly cute females from what I've seen so far - given unusual powers by mysterious forces so that they can be sources of inspiration, hope, and cuteness in order to combat a threat whose true danger is the damage it will do to the human spirit.

Eh, I'm not really a fan of magical girl anime unless they bring some unexpected edge to the proceedings. I'm not talking Magical Girl Site sado edge. I'm talking Puella Magi Madoka edge, which managed to be genuinely mysterious and full of random, unexpected moments that kept me interested. Wonder Egg Priority would probably work as a sub genre example.

This one isn't all out Tokyo Mew Mew nauseat...err...cute....but it pretty much draws within the lines of the cute girl protagonist who has to believe in herself so that she can get the adulation she deserves. The yuri aspect might be more interesting to people who are drawn to that genre. Me, I feel about it the same way I feel about magical girl anime. Otherside Picnic? Awesome. That Magical Revolution one a few seasons back? Ehh.

The sub lead girl seems destined to be the best friend/manager/sexual overtone for the show, and she's pretty cool. I remember thinking when she was stuck on the roller coaster and prioritizing other people's safety and keeping her head why didn't they make her the heroine? And at the end, the show says that she transferred from a much better school for geniuses, and if she didn't do that because she somehow figured out which school Shy was from by charting her appearances, I'll eat...ummm...some whole wheat pasta seasoned with French onion soup and pork strips and soy sauce. Why take chances?

Anyway, it's okay as far as I can tell. The MC is likable enough that the shy shtick didn't get too irritating (though who calls a hero Shy by the way? If she was on a team, would the members be Forgetful, Bubbly, and Thrifty?) But since this isn't one of my go to genres, this seems like one of the ones that I might drift away from after the new seasonal rush starts wearing off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:27 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode well enough with Shy as a struggling hero and the implications of something evil being out there. There was also that creepy boy that seemed to be important somehow. With the second episode things have become a bit more interesting. Umbrella/creepy boy wants to create a whole lot of chaos out there and he started with Koishikawa by releasing her negative emotions.

What followed was as cheesy as things can be with lots of talk no jitsu, but it was handled well enough to not drown in the cheese. We learned a fair bit about both characters and the day was saved without a disaster (if you exclude Shy getting beaten up). I do hope we get some super hero fighting in further episodes though, an overuse of talk no jitsu to solve all issues is not something I like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
They're a few select individuals - mostly cute females from what I've seen so far -

Century (the one who looks like the Flash with horns), Stardust (pop idol in his spare time?) and the bearded luchador are all guys, so it's not just cute girl heroines. I mean, guys can be magical girls too (see Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!), so your analysis might not be far off. Smile

I gave this a couple episodes, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll last with it. Shy is too shy for me, and there's not much else of interest to keep me around.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting episode, the first half was all fluffy, while the latter is far more serious. I do agree that Shy needs to gain some experience/toughen up though. The boy with the umbrella seems like a real sadist and is interested in her, so he will pop up again. Talk no jitsu will not always work so she will have to be strong/resolved enough to do battle.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:11 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the ''fight'' had a bit of excitement and Shy did end up forming a strong resolve to get stronger, but the show is one big predictable cliché, even for a super hero series. The talk no jitsu turning two fights into therapy sessions does not make me enthusiastic. The super hero fights not being fights and the mc being boring makes me kind of doubtful if I will watch the whole thing, there is no real hook as of yet.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
A calm episode this week, yet some solid progress for Shy development wise and we also got to know Pilse a fair bit better. The episode was so chill that I forgot that it is about super heroes for a moment. Though I suppose that a super hero show can be slice of life for a large part too.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope that anyone who sees my posts decides to pick up the show due to them, because the last few episodes have been real solid. Yeah, the first few episodes were nothing more than okay, but things are heating up with a team of villains/children who seem to want to destroy the world and have their base in some twisted fantasy land.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Given that the previous 4 posts were mine it is probably fair to say that Shy is not all that popular here. That is a shame since Shy is a solid superhero show, an amusing mix of superheroing and some slice of life. Some of the episodes feel a tad lackluster and talk no jitsu is supreme, but there are also some real emotional/exciting moments and the villains seem interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1