• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) IDOLM@STER (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. Ep 22 was so sad depressing.

spoiler[Haruka wanted to practice with her friends for their New Years concert together but with all them busy with their own work, most of them couldn't make it to the point Haruka becomes lonely and depressed. And just when the Producer wants to help her, Haruka almost fall off stage but is saved by the Producer only for him to fall instead. And he's in the emergency room. Dam. This episode is sad.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Zork"]
MrTerrorist wrote:
It looks as though episode 21 might be a continuation of episode 20. I hope it has spoiler[Chihaya getting some sort of revenge on the evil producer by showing she's overcome his vindictiveness.]

It seems that Production 765's policy ispoiler[s living well is the best revenge]. The negative media exposure might be painful, but professionally it is a good thing. People are attracted to the scandal and end up being more interested in the idols and going to the ir concerts and events.

My prediction is spoiler[Jupiter is going to get fed up and jump ship.]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
^Since you haven't seen the latest episodes.
spoiler[Jupiter quit 961 Pro after having enough of Kuroi.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
While sometimes you mention spoilers in order to further the discussion, I don't think mentioning a spoiler for the sole reason of telling someone what comes next (especially when that person is planning on watching the next episode) is particularly friendly.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The Idolmaster anime has finished airing. Sad

I'm sad to see this show end. It had great characters, a good story, character growth for everyone and great music and dancing.

I recommend anyone who wants a good story development to watch this anime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This one of the few titles that I have seen streaming that I would buy the media (preferably BD) for.

It has a lot of flaws in it -- mostly in the form of missed opportunities. There are just so many story angles they set up that could be developed -- each of the 12 idols could have had a season to themselves. Then more seasons with the Jupiter trio. (One of the missed opportunities was a reconciliation between the disenfranchised Jupiter group and the 765 idols. )

That's probably what they did best here. It can't be easy to draw and act out 12 anime girls and make them so convincingly recognizable from each other. I sure would like to see more.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy

My recollections might be slightly discombobulated, but I seem to recall that you have some Japanese language competency. If I am correct, you should consider importing the PS3 version of The Idolm@aster 2. If you enjoyed the anime, perhaps you would also enjoy the game. The dialogue is fairly simple, and if you can handle a video like this without much difficulty then it might be a useful tool in helping you practice Japanese in addition to the satisfaction you might derive from playing it.

The game is available on Play-Asia.com

Hope this helps
Very Happy
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
I've been listening to the Ready!! & Change!! mash up for the past few days.

Over all I liked the second half of the show a bit more than the first. Mainly because the first half just seemed to group a few characters together for their first half eps.

Like Iori, Yayoi the twins. Kinda wish Yukiho had more then one ep but the birthday part in ep 22 counts I guess.

I also didn't care much for Miki's eps then again I don't care much for Miki. But her stuff is kinda the turning point which I thought was -decent- personally I though they should have formed Project Fairy instead of going for the demi "waken" Miki route. Plus Project Fairy was shown in the second opening but that was just for show.

The anime handled Chihaya's story very well, considering how depressing her route is in the games it was very good. Along with Haruka story near the end with ep 23/24.

Over all the anime was really well done given that they had 25 eps and 14 characters to do stories for. I'd gladly buy it if it ever gets released here.

My only complain is the lack of Jupiter and their backflips that was the best part of Im@s 2

Also anyone thinking about buying the PS3 copy enjoy paying $100 in DLC each month if you want some of the anime only songs.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
[b]@HaruhiToy[/b
My recollections might be slightly discombobulated, but I seem to recall that you have some Japanese language competency.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately my proficiency is not quite enough to read a manga, much less play an interactive video game. I am not even at the elementary school level (they would consider me a retard) but my accent has improved to the point that Japanese businessmen are now able to restrain themselves from jumping out of 4th story windows if I attempt to say something.

A few more years ...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm behind because I decided to watch this on Crunchyroll.

...apparently these last two episodes (23&24) took place in Undecimber and maybe Duodecember too, the thirteenth and fourteenth months of the year that land between Christmas and New Years, I don't know how else to explain the time frame. I considered that some of the episodes took place before Christmas but I checked and verified that the announcement of the musical came just before the Christmas party... so, a Time Warp s the only way to explain it.... You know, their office does slightly resemble the lab in Steins;Gate. Anime smile + sweatdrop
I believe we've found the real cause of WW3.

Still, it just goes to show what I've always said, it's an extremely stupid but alternately rather cute series. Nothing surprising here, it all goes how you would expect (although, judging by comments on CR- there were apparently people who really thought spoiler[the producer died] atthe end of ep. 23, so I really shouldn't speculate on people's ability to grasp the obvious) but it ges you a smile to she Haruka having her personal little hallucination of her toddler self and the girls realizing how important they all are too each other. After all, it's been so long since they last realized this, during the Christmas party.... all those weeks prior.

...okay, I may just have to download #25 to get through the final episode... I just have to make sure my insulin is handy, it prmises to be a sweetness overdose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm behind because I decided to watch this on Crunchyroll.

...apparently these last two episodes (23&24) took place in Undecimber and maybe Duodecember too, the thirteenth and fourteenth months of the year that land between Christmas and New Years, I don't know how else to explain the time frame. I considered that some of the episodes took place before Christmas but I checked and verified that the announcement of the musical came just before the Christmas party... so, a Time Warp s the only way to explain it.... You know, their office does slightly resemble the lab in Steins;Gate. Anime smile + sweatdrop
I believe we've found the real cause of WW3.

Still, it just goes to show what I've always said, it's an extremely stupid but alternately rather cute series. Nothing surprising here, it all goes how you would expect (although, judging by comments on CR- there were apparently people who really thought spoiler[the producer died] atthe end of ep. 23, so I really shouldn't speculate on people's ability to grasp the obvious) but it ges you a smile to she Haruka having her personal little hallucination of her toddler self and the girls realizing how important they all are too each other. After all, it's been so long since they last realized this, during the Christmas party.... all those weeks prior.

...okay, I may just have to download #25 to get through the final episode... I just have to make sure my insulin is handy, it prmises to be a sweetness overdose.

The New Year's live takes place in January, actually. It's meant to "mimick" the real-life equivalent with the VAs: http://jouttex.otadesho.com/the-idolmster-2-new-year-live/
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
hmm, that's definitely a bit better, but judging by what goes on in the show it's still not a very feasible to reach even mid-January and impossible to make the 10th (like the VA oncert). If you watch closely, judging by calendars, it's already January (2013 or 2008) on that first day in the 23rd episode and by fast-forwarding I determined the absolute minimum days that passed were eleven, which ignores many implied days- in this timeline the producer gets hurt on the 8th day, Haruka gets the acting job on the 9th, breaks down on the 10th, and the 11th is her day off when everyone gathers together- and they haven't even reached the day of the concert yet (i haven't watched the final one yet to see how much time that takes up).

So, if it's not a time warp it's just a very loose definition of "New Years".... or the Chinese New Years which lands in late December or early to mid-February.

In any case, it's definitely not worth thinking too hard over. In fact I just spent twice as much time thinking about it as anyone ever should.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25: very impressive. In the comments above this show has been called stupid -- perhaps a better way of saying it is that it is a simple. I could think of a lot of possible plot developments but would that make it any more entertaining? I wonder.

The new 1080p format CR now streams is absolutely stunning.

The only thing I didn't like is during the concert scenes they wouldn't let the camera be still for even two frames in a row. It is almost as if they thought the choreography animation wouldn't be exciting enough unless they were swooping all over the place.
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I was quite surprised with this anime. The screen time distribution sorely needed an overhaul, but everything else was quite good. More thoughts below...

When reading the synopsis and viewing the picture for The iDOLM@STER it leaves an implication that it isn’t trying to be anything ambitious and merely be another cash-in on the moé franchise of the anime industry. The primary aim of a series to make the viewer feel adoration toward its characters is not the problem in and of itself so much as the sheer volume of the cast creating issues with screen time. So with the story, animation, and music all being quite good the large cast is perhaps the only major weakness this anime suffers from.

Part of the reason the large cast hurts the series is the method the narrative uses to characterize or develop everyone. While the spotlight episode approach highlights the personality, gimmick, or problems of the idol of the week, for most of the characters it is the only time to be truly seen by the viewer. Now assuming that all thirteen or so characters each has a dedicated following, then the unbalanced exposure inevitably raises the question of why anyone who likes a particular character should keep watching if two or more of his or her favorites are not present. Worse still, much of the development is wasted or artificially dictated as many of the reasons for starting a spotlight episode are never addressed again while the story arcs of others could only have happened due to the chronological events of the narrative instead of being moved by the cast itself. Now it’s true the aforementioned problems are a natural side-effect of having a few main characters and a whole host of side characters. However even the group the show focuses on outside of the spotlight episodes tend to alternate between only a few of its cast. The iDOLM@STER doesn’t have enough focus to call anyone its main character or characters and it doesn’t spread its attention to everyone enough to be called an ensemble.

Although looking past the wasted development and shafted characters those might be the only problems with this show. The story itself might be familiar to some viewers but the sincerity in which the idols pursue their dream and the semi-realistic nature of their progress is uncommon to say the least. Some characters move from rehearsal to live performances faster than others but nobody progresses from amateur to professional within the span of a single episode or even two or three. The fact that the most naturally gifted of the idols is not the first one to be drafted into a more independent trope highlights the reality of how even those with innate talent must hone his or her skill and avoid being complacent. Slowly but surely the thirteen idols come into their own with no sudden change from how much they help each other in the beginning to how independent everyone becomes at the end. It’s a very subtle approach presented by a seemingly transparent narrative and it’s impressive considering the thirteen different tracks of progress present.

So as the idols gradually improve and are able to perform in more and more concerts, the anime is able to showcase a stronger example of visuals. The offstage animation isn’t lazy in places it shouldn’t be and that same effort for the scenes where not much happens is carried over into the scenes where a lot happens which are the performances. The concerts are nothing short of an excellent visual presentation with very visible, constantly active choreography where the movements aren’t reduced to blurbs seen from the view of a camera that weaves above and around the stage and between the characters. A-1 Pictures shows some serious effort here as it could have left the varied character designs entice the viewer into watching but it seems the studio decided not to let the anime hinge on a single element.

Of course an anime with a premise such as this one wouldn’t be complete without music something which the show constantly keeps in mind. This is where The iDOLM@STER is at its best; every concert has a new song to sing, every idol has her own personal theme, every episode introduces a new tune. Every character song captures the personality of the idol it belongs to, whether it is the mischievous duo of Ami and Mami or the ever serious Chihaya, and retains its quality if only for the character associated with it. With thirteen different idols it is almost a guarantee that someone will find a theme to like. The non-character tunes aren’t any less impressive either as they summarize the general mood of each episode as the ending credits appear on the screen; there’s never a case of the music contradicting the mood but it is guilty of consistently and thoroughly complementing the tone.

It would be a fair assumption to say that most of the people who would watch a show like this only have an interest in the characters but unfortunately the development methods, screen time distribution, and prodigious size of the cast itself doesn’t make it the best show for an attractive character to entice the viewer. However ignoring the mediocre cast and focusing on the show’s realistic and honest perspective on becoming and being a superstar will make The iDOLM@STER a very solid choice.

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
OLd comment deleted, thanks.

Good review.

Of course, anime like these are in some ways advertisements for the source material. Don't think your favorite character was featured enough? Buy the game and spend ans much time as you want with her.

Although, it's also true that it got a two-cour show in the first place (actually, the second it has inspired) because it was already super-popular and didn't need the advertisement. Well, there are always game sequels, I guess the show may have inspired fans of the original game to buy the sequel games.... which may inspire sequels to the shows that sell more games and more sequels AND WHEN WILL IT EVER STOP! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4